Thinking about a new tractor

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Hook2.0
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Thinking about a new tractor

Postby Hook2.0 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:26 pm

I’ve been looking around at tractors, now that mine (mahindra) has over 11000 hours on it. Smokes a little on startup, and needs a new clutch soon. I don’t know how much more time it has in it.
Looking into lightly used 40hp cabbed, and hst. I know options will vary, but talk to me about jd, Kubota and mahindra. Nearest dealer is Kubota, and I’ve been told they are in a price war with jd lately.
0 x

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Thinking about a new tractor

Postby sstterry » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:57 pm

Hook2.0 wrote:I’ve been looking around at tractors, now that mine (mahindra) has over 11000 hours on it. Smokes a little on startup, and needs a new clutch soon. I don’t know how much more time it has in it.
Looking into lightly used 40hp cabbed, and hst. I know options will vary, but talk to me about jd, Kubota and mahindra. Nearest dealer is Kubota, and I’ve been told they are in a price war with jd lately.

I was in a local dealer today to get a fuel filter and when I walked in the manager of the dealership was telling a customer about how much better the Mahindra is than the Kubota....of course one of the brands they sell is Mahindra.... :lol:
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:16 pm

My new Kubota has over 1500 hours without a problem. If you buy a Kubota buy the insurance through them, best deal going and covers everything. A Kubota needs to be over 50 hp or you'll tip it over moving round bales, you need the bigger frame. I'd buy another one, my only complaint is it's hard to see the fork tips and loader.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Hook2.0
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Hook2.0 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:28 pm

I’m leaning heavily to Kubota but have to go look at the jd’s still. I also agree with the 50 over the 40. Most 40s I’ve been on were tippy in turns with a round on the front. Even with water in the tires.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:53 pm

Hook2.0 wrote:I’m leaning heavily to Kubota but have to go look at the jd’s still. I also agree with the 50 over the 40. Most 40s I’ve been on were tippy in turns with a round on the front. Even with water in the tires.

My neighbor had a 38 hp Kubota named Tippy.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:45 pm

If there is anyway to afford it, get at least 65HP. I have a M7040 and wouldn't go smaller. I want it where when I jump on it, it will handle a round bale or a 2000lb pallet. Its back tires are filled. Remember your new tractor won't weigh out like a older tractor with 11000 hrs.
0 x

Logar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Logar » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:56 pm

Bought a Kubota M-108 last year with 2 or 3 hours on the clock - cab, 4WD, fully loaded with a few loader accessories including one that I have never had before. Bought a bale squeeze for wrapped bales, a bale fork and a manure fork.

And ................... A soft ride loader - amazing - would never be without one again.

It is 108 HP with about 98 on the PTO - does nothing but hay on the farm and I now wonder why I did not go this route before.

Have almost 200 hours on it now and would never consider another model at this time.

Also bought a new Kubota tedder and rake - all working like a charm.

And I am an old Case guy so this is a real switch for me - but I cannot see going back - excellent equipment.

Best to all.
2 x

Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Atimm693 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:16 pm

Logar wrote:Bought a Kubota M-108 last year with 2 or 3 hours on the clock - cab, 4WD, fully loaded with a few loader accessories including one that I have never had before. Bought a bale squeeze for wrapped bales, a bale fork and a manure fork.

And ................... A soft ride loader - amazing - would never be without one again.

It is 108 HP with about 98 on the PTO - does nothing but hay on the farm and I now wonder why I did not go this route before.

Have almost 200 hours on it now and would never consider another model at this time.

Also bought a new Kubota tedder and rake - all working like a charm.

And I am an old Case guy so this is a real switch for me - but I cannot see going back - excellent equipment.

Best to all.

Wish they made these as an aftermarket add on. Everyone I talk to that has comfort ride says it's slick as can be. Have a Case Maxxum 110 that is a bucking bronco with the loader.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:25 pm

A big part of the equation is buying what you can afford. I understand that concept well.

With that being said I wouldn’t won’t anything under 60-70hp with a loader to move round bales if I could help it. My smaller tractor is JD 90hp mfwd with with all four tires 90% full of water. My rolls are 4x6. I can pick up a roll with the tractor in 2wd and the differential NOT locked and when I put it in reverse it will spin a little. I don’t think I could ever turn it over on fairly flat land but I think on an incline it wouldn’t be real hard to do with a bale on the loader. Add a little counterweight to the rear, even something as light as a 6’ mower, and it makes all the difference in the world.

I’d be scared of a newer, lighter (50hp or smaller) tractor with a loader and round bales. Whatever you decide, being careful, alert, and using common sense goes a long way :tiphat:
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Hook2.0
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Hook2.0 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:41 am

All good points. Thanks. I’m going to try to get through until spring so I have some time to keep thinking on it
0 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:11 am

Hook2.0 wrote:All good points. Thanks. I’m going to try to get through until spring so I have some time to keep thinking on it

(mahindra) has over 11000 hours...........not knocking your tractor, but I wouldn't have to think long, nuff said.................11000 hrs on a hindra is unreal..........11 hours from a couple neighbors around here that have bought new is a lot.
0 x

Hook2.0
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Hook2.0 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:19 am

That’s why I’m looking now. :lol2:
It does say something about them though. At least the old ones.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:33 am

Be careful about just using horsepower as well. JD for example uses the the same Tractor for (I could be off) everything from 40 to 75 horse. Same wieght, same loader same lift capacity.
Just more horsepower. So look and compare specs carefully. 4wheel drive makes a tractor a little bit bigger.
I got by for years with a forty horse for my loader tractor. Unloading big round and loads of pipe was a controlled crash for the most part. My 5085 is a beast for 85 horses. In 4x4 it has enough power to tear itself up. For what that's worth.lol
Neighbor has a Kubota 7060 and it's been a pretty good tractor and has done it's share of work in the brush. If I went after a midsize right now it would be the one I got the most bang for my buck.
1 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:36 am

only thing i don't like about kubota is the high price of parts.

4.00 $$ for a little tiny screw...

Compared to JD that same item would be .39 cents.

That's why i love my JD equip... .. had to wait 5 days for that little screw.. I go to JD and its there the next day if its not already in stock.
1 x

circlebllc
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby circlebllc » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:46 am

I have never seen a .39 cent JD part!
9 x
Stand to the left or the right. Never on the fence.

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”