Thinking about a new tractor

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
5S Cattle
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Thinking about a new tractor

Post by 5S Cattle » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:14 pm

bird dog wrote:If there is anyway to afford it, get at least 65HP. I have a M7040 and wouldn't go smaller. I want it where when I jump on it, it will handle a round bale or a 2000lb pallet. Its back tires are filled. Remember your new tractor won't weigh out like a older tractor with 11000 hrs.

That’s he truth. We have a 2015ish 5100 JD and I about flipped the be nice thing over when I unloaded my first pallet of feed. Just no weight in the rear of the things. I went to go fill the back tires up with water and...came filled from JD. Now I have a set of wheel weights also and it makes it a lot better

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Post by ALACOWMAN » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:37 pm

circlebllc wrote:I have never seen a .39 cent JD part!

They cost more then that,just daydreaming...
someone said I should follow my dreams,,so I went back to bed...

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Post by pricefarm » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:42 am

callmefence wrote:Be careful about just using horsepower as well. JD for example uses the the same Tractor for (I could be off) everything from 40 to 75 horse. Same wieght, same loader same lift capacity.
Just more horsepower. So look and compare specs carefully. 4wheel drive makes a tractor a little bit bigger.
I got by for years with a forty horse for my loader tractor. Unloading big round and loads of pipe was a controlled crash for the most part. My 5085 is a beast for 85 horses. In 4x4 it has enough power to tear itself up. For what that's worth.lol
Neighbor has a Kubota 7060 and it's been a pretty good tractor and has done it's share of work in the brush. If I went after a midsize right now it would be the one I got the most bang for my buck.

Is yours a E OR M series's? I have been looking at one that size. Thinking of selling my 6610 Ford and 5303 John Deere and replacing it with one that will do the job of both of those tractors.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:06 am

pricefarm wrote:
callmefence wrote:Be careful about just using horsepower as well. JD for example uses the the same Tractor for (I could be off) everything from 40 to 75 horse. Same wieght, same loader same lift capacity.
Just more horsepower. So look and compare specs carefully. 4wheel drive makes a tractor a little bit bigger.
I got by for years with a forty horse for my loader tractor. Unloading big round and loads of pipe was a controlled crash for the most part. My 5085 is a beast for 85 horses. In 4x4 it has enough power to tear itself up. For what that's worth.lol
Neighbor has a Kubota 7060 and it's been a pretty good tractor and has done it's share of work in the brush. If I went after a midsize right now it would be the one I got the most bang for my buck.

Is yours a E OR M series's? I have been looking at one that size. Thinking of selling my 6610 Ford and 5303 John Deere and replacing it with one that will do the job of both of those tractors.

5085e.

I sold a 39 horse Massey, jd4020 and jd2640. Replaced them with the 5085 and 318 skid steer. Very happy with the tractor , didn't spend enough on the skid steer. It's a bit of a disappointment
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:21 am

circlebllc wrote:I have never seen a .39 cent JD part!

My cousin owns a JD dealership and I still can’t make a deal. :shock:
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Post by ddd75 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:00 am

callmefence wrote:
pricefarm wrote:

5085e.

I sold a 39 horse Massey, jd4020 and jd2640. Replaced them with the 5085 and 318 skid steer. Very happy with the tractor , didn't spend enough on the skid steer. It's a bit of a disappointment

whats wrong with the 318? not enough power?

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by NonTypicalCPA » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:01 pm

I love my Kubota. Grand L 3940. 40 hp with ballast in rear wheels. Moves round bales just fine. My next tractor, if there is one, will be another Kubota but with more hp and a cab with air/heat. More hp just because bigger is always better, right?

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:12 pm

ddd75 wrote:
callmefence wrote:
pricefarm wrote:.

5085e.

Seems a little weak for 65 horsepower.
Especially if compared to my last skid steer. A 40 horse new Holland. Not so much engine power it seems to lack. But roll back and break out force seem a little weak. It doesn't lug the engine. More like the hydraulic power is regulated to much. Only got 60 hours on it. So still get used to it. But I'm thinking I should of went a little bigger.
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:46 pm

callmefence wrote:
ddd75 wrote:
callmefence wrote:
5085e.

Seems a little weak for 65 horsepower.
Especially if compared to my last skid steer. A 40 horse new Holland. Not so much engine power it seems to lack. But roll back and break out force seem a little weak. It doesn't lug the engine. More like the hydraulic power is regulated to much. Only got 60 hours on it. So still get used to it. But I'm thinking I should of went a little bigger.

I went from an older 85hp Case tire skid to a new Kubota 75hp track skid and feel the same way. The Kubota is really nice but the Case feels like it has way more power. I think it’s all in the hydraulic set up. Definitely wouldn’t want anything smaller than 75hp.

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Texasmark » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:03 pm

I run Cummins engines in my newest tractors, 24 and 65 hp. Low on the electronics and fancy Tier IV complexity to run the engines. Nice simple, proven design. Mainframes are Branson out of S. Korea. Check them out.

Recently bought a '88 Ford 3910 with 900 hours, my last purchase. Real simple Ford 3 cyl rugged diesel. Small frame with the assets of a larger framed )4xxx series tractors. Ford has been good to me over the years. Had numerous, still have 3.

BigBear
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by BigBear » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:13 am

NonTypicalCPA wrote:I love my Kubota. Grand L 3940. 40 hp with ballast in rear wheels. Moves round bales just fine. My next tractor, if there is one, will be another Kubota but with more hp and a cab with air/heat. More hp just because bigger is always better, right?

I’m in the market for a new tractor as well (spring purchase) and everyone around here has recommended a Kubota. I went to the local dealer and told them exactly what I’m using it for and they recommended an MX5200. They said most small cattlemen like myself have been happy with that model. 52HP, hydrostat, 4wd, with loader, open station, spear and backhoe attachment. 0% for 84 mos with insurance during the finance period ($500 deductible). Hard to beat that!
Well he's tall in the saddle, short on the cash
The last to quit, the first to buy the beer

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Post by ddd75 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:49 am

those 5200's are pretty small. small front tires.

what are they around 33k new?

BigBear
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by BigBear » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:38 am

ddd75 wrote:those 5200's are pretty small. small front tires.

what are they around 33k new?

$29 w/o the backhoe
Well he's tall in the saddle, short on the cash
The last to quit, the first to buy the beer

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Post by ddd75 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:35 pm

JD equipment has BRAND NEW JD 5065 w/ loader, 4x4... for 31,995... WOW>.

I'm about to go trade mine in and get a new one its a such a great deal.. thats a 40k a tractor.. that would RUN OVER a 5200..

i'd check it out and jump on it if I were you!

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:16 pm

friend of mine has this tractor, looks like a pretty decent rig
https://www.yanmartractor.com/tractors/yt3-series/yt359
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens