Thinking about a new tractor

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
jltrent
GURU
GURU

Re: Thinking about a new tractor

Postby jltrent » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:14 am

ddd75 wrote:only thing i don't like about kubota is the high price of parts.

4.00 $$ for a little tiny screw...

Compared to JD that same item would be .39 cents.

That's why i love my JD equip... .. had to wait 5 days for that little screw.. I go to JD and its there the next day if its not already in stock.

You buy many of those deere parts you will get screwed also.........
1 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:17 am

jltrent wrote:

That's why i love my JD equip... .. had to wait 5 days for that little screw.. I go to JD and its there the next day if its not already in stock.

i've bought lots of JD parts and always thought they were a good value. I've never thought i've been ripped off unlike other dealers.. I had a McCormick tractor and those oil filters were 35.00/each... Hyd. was like 90.00... crazy prices on all parts.
0 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:20 am

ddd75 wrote:
jltrent wrote:

i've bought lots of JD parts and always thought they were a good value. I've never thought i've been ripped off unlike other dealers.. I had a McCormick tractor and those oil filters were 35.00/each... Hyd. was like 90.00... crazy prices on all parts.
With McCormick you are probably buying old stock that isn't made anymore and that is why the cost. Kubota is high but India made Deere parts and tractors are just as high. I will take Japan any day over India. Honda and Toyota comes to mind.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:28 pm

circlebllc wrote:I have never seen a .39 cent JD part!

Bought a cross (universal joint) for the front right axle on a JD 5510 mfwd a couple years ago. I would have thought $20-30. Haha. Not from John Deere. It was all of $400 and a little change. This isn’t the big one on the drive shaft for the mfwd. It’s a little one behind the front tire. Maybe 3x3. I almost flipped out. But nobody else seemed to be able to match it so what choice did I have. Both my tractors are JD. But I think they think as much of their parts as anybody does.
2 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 5S Cattle » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:14 pm

bird dog wrote:If there is anyway to afford it, get at least 65HP. I have a M7040 and wouldn't go smaller. I want it where when I jump on it, it will handle a round bale or a 2000lb pallet. Its back tires are filled. Remember your new tractor won't weigh out like a older tractor with 11000 hrs.

That’s he truth. We have a 2015ish 5100 JD and I about flipped the be nice thing over when I unloaded my first pallet of feed. Just no weight in the rear of the things. I went to go fill the back tires up with water and...came filled from JD. Now I have a set of wheel weights also and it makes it a lot better
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:37 pm

They cost more then that,just daydreaming...
1 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Postby pricefarm » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:42 am

callmefence wrote:Be careful about just using horsepower as well. JD for example uses the the same Tractor for (I could be off) everything from 40 to 75 horse. Same wieght, same loader same lift capacity.
Just more horsepower. So look and compare specs carefully. 4wheel drive makes a tractor a little bit bigger.
I got by for years with a forty horse for my loader tractor. Unloading big round and loads of pipe was a controlled crash for the most part. My 5085 is a beast for 85 horses. In 4x4 it has enough power to tear itself up. For what that's worth.lol
Neighbor has a Kubota 7060 and it's been a pretty good tractor and has done it's share of work in the brush. If I went after a midsize right now it would be the one I got the most bang for my buck.

Is yours a E OR M series's? I have been looking at one that size. Thinking of selling my 6610 Ford and 5303 John Deere and replacing it with one that will do the job of both of those tractors.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:06 am

pricefarm wrote:
callmefence wrote:Be careful about just using horsepower as well. JD for example uses the the same Tractor for (I could be off) everything from 40 to 75 horse. Same wieght, same loader same lift capacity.
Just more horsepower. So look and compare specs carefully. 4wheel drive makes a tractor a little bit bigger.
I got by for years with a forty horse for my loader tractor. Unloading big round and loads of pipe was a controlled crash for the most part. My 5085 is a beast for 85 horses. In 4x4 it has enough power to tear itself up. For what that's worth.lol
Neighbor has a Kubota 7060 and it's been a pretty good tractor and has done it's share of work in the brush. If I went after a midsize right now it would be the one I got the most bang for my buck.

Is yours a E OR M series's? I have been looking at one that size. Thinking of selling my 6610 Ford and 5303 John Deere and replacing it with one that will do the job of both of those tractors.

5085e.

I sold a 39 horse Massey, jd4020 and jd2640. Replaced them with the 5085 and 318 skid steer. Very happy with the tractor , didn't spend enough on the skid steer. It's a bit of a disappointment
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:21 am

My cousin owns a JD dealership and I still can’t make a deal. :shock:
2 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:00 am

callmefence wrote:
pricefarm wrote:

5085e.

I sold a 39 horse Massey, jd4020 and jd2640. Replaced them with the 5085 and 318 skid steer. Very happy with the tractor , didn't spend enough on the skid steer. It's a bit of a disappointment

whats wrong with the 318? not enough power?
0 x

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:01 pm

I love my Kubota. Grand L 3940. 40 hp with ballast in rear wheels. Moves round bales just fine. My next tractor, if there is one, will be another Kubota but with more hp and a cab with air/heat. More hp just because bigger is always better, right?
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:12 pm

ddd75 wrote:
callmefence wrote:
pricefarm wrote:.

5085e.

Seems a little weak for 65 horsepower.
Especially if compared to my last skid steer. A 40 horse new Holland. Not so much engine power it seems to lack. But roll back and break out force seem a little weak. It doesn't lug the engine. More like the hydraulic power is regulated to much. Only got 60 hours on it. So still get used to it. But I'm thinking I should of went a little bigger.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:46 pm

callmefence wrote:
ddd75 wrote:
callmefence wrote:
5085e.

Seems a little weak for 65 horsepower.
Especially if compared to my last skid steer. A 40 horse new Holland. Not so much engine power it seems to lack. But roll back and break out force seem a little weak. It doesn't lug the engine. More like the hydraulic power is regulated to much. Only got 60 hours on it. So still get used to it. But I'm thinking I should of went a little bigger.

I went from an older 85hp Case tire skid to a new Kubota 75hp track skid and feel the same way. The Kubota is really nice but the Case feels like it has way more power. I think it’s all in the hydraulic set up. Definitely wouldn’t want anything smaller than 75hp.
0 x

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:03 pm

I run Cummins engines in my newest tractors, 24 and 65 hp. Low on the electronics and fancy Tier IV complexity to run the engines. Nice simple, proven design. Mainframes are Branson out of S. Korea. Check them out.

Recently bought a '88 Ford 3910 with 900 hours, my last purchase. Real simple Ford 3 cyl rugged diesel. Small frame with the assets of a larger framed )4xxx series tractors. Ford has been good to me over the years. Had numerous, still have 3.
1 x

Hook2.0
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hook2.0 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:10 pm

Good info everyone. Thank you
1 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”