Mule owners

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4702
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Mule owners

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:36 am

FYI, check your air filters. They are inadequate. Invest in a snorkel to keep junk out.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7307
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Mule owners

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:44 am

cowgirl8 wrote:FYI, check your air filters. They are inadequate. Invest in a snorkel to keep junk out.


My mule don't have filters. But he can talk. When I walk in the stable, I say, Jack, you want some oats? He raises his tail and says, "Ah fewwww".
3 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4702
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Re: Mule owners

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:30 am

Bright Raven wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:FYI, check your air filters. They are inadequate. Invest in a snorkel to keep junk out.


My mule don't have filters. But he can talk. When I walk in the stable, I say, Jack, you want some oats? He raises his tail and says, "Ah fewwww".

LOL.....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:55 am
Location: Brenham, Tx

Re: Mule owners

Postby 5S Cattle » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:07 pm

They’re not inadequate, you just have to clean them
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4702
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Re: Mule owners

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:26 pm

:heart:
5S Cattle wrote:They’re not inadequate, you just have to clean them

If you haven't done anything to yours if you have one. Well. Too bad
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7412
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Mule owners

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:19 pm

What happened that you say that? Which mule do you have?
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16887
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Mule owners

Postby greybeard » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:23 pm

Inadequate for what?
My oldest sister has had her's for about 3 years with no engine problems other than a bad battery.
She walks nowhere anymore..she gets on that mule if she has to go anywhere at all, whether it's a mile or 50'.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4702
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Re: Mule owners

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:10 am

DIrt can get around the filter. We bought one a little over a year ago. When my husband did its first oil change, he checked the filter. He could see dirt was getting around the filter. Contacted the dealer who sold it to us and they were like, Oh, yeah we have a second filter you can add to it. Got the second filter thinking, it will be like all the other diesels we have, first will take in the dust, second will then filter the air clean. They also said you have to oil the gasket, that helps.. We have a lot of diesel engines and that second filter, even when used in very fine dusty jobs, will stay like new.. But when husband went to check the oil, he could see that both filters were dirty...another thing is where the filter is too, right at the back wheel.. We went back to the dealership and they said corporate is aware of the problem and the only solution right now is a snorkel, which they had for the people who realized there is a problem. People who are just cleaning that filter, aren't realizing that fine dust is getting into the engine and shortening the life of that engine...
SO, if you're cleaning your filter thinking all is good, its not...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7412
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Mule owners

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:12 am

cowgirl8 wrote:DIrt can get around the filter. We bought one a little over a year ago. When my husband did its first oil change, he checked the filter. He could see dirt was getting around the filter. Contacted the dealer who sold it to us and they were like, Oh, yeah we have a second filter you can add to it. Got the second filter thinking, it will be like all the other diesels we have, first will take in the dust, second will then filter the air clean. They also said you have to oil the gasket, that helps.. We have a lot of diesel engines and that second filter, even when used in very fine dusty jobs, will stay like new.. But when husband went to check the oil, he could see that both filters were dirty...another thing is where the filter is too, right at the back wheel.. We went back to the dealership and they said corporate is aware of the problem and the only solution right now is a snorkel, which they had for the people who realized there is a problem. People who are just cleaning that filter, aren't realizing that fine dust is getting into the engine and shortening the life of that engine...
SO, if you're cleaning your filter thinking all is good, its not...


Did you have to pay for the snorkel?
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4702
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Re: Mule owners

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:33 am

Of course... but the first complaint got us the second filter free.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6916
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: Mule owners

Postby M-5 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:23 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:DIrt can get around the filter. We bought one a little over a year ago. When my husband did its first oil change, he checked the filter. He could see dirt was getting around the filter. Contacted the dealer who sold it to us and they were like, Oh, yeah we have a second filter you can add to it. Got the second filter thinking, it will be like all the other diesels we have, first will take in the dust, second will then filter the air clean. They also said you have to oil the gasket, that helps.. We have a lot of diesel engines and that second filter, even when used in very fine dusty jobs, will stay like new.. But when husband went to check the oil, he could see that both filters were dirty...another thing is where the filter is too, right at the back wheel.. We went back to the dealership and they said corporate is aware of the problem and the only solution right now is a snorkel, which they had for the people who realized there is a problem. People who are just cleaning that filter, aren't realizing that fine dust is getting into the engine and shortening the life of that engine...
SO, if you're cleaning your filter thinking all is good, its not...


Did you have to pay for the snorkel?

Lol, I heard somewhere there is one born every day.
1 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4702
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Re: Mule owners

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:34 am

The JD Gators have a similar problem. The filter is adequate, just in a bad spot if you drive in rough areas. One of ours must have hit a chunk of something and broke where the filter is attached and cracked where we couldn't see it. Engine sucked in dust over time and ruined the engine. The gator is a defect in design. Was just past warranty too.. The mules are a defect also. You wont know it right away, while its in warranty, but if you live in dusty areas like we do, the engines life will be very short. SO, this should be looked at for sure if you're looking to buy a used one also.
Just took my 4wheeler to the shop, my warranty runs out next year. Something with computer stuff that shifts it went out. Luckily we got the extra 4 year full warranty, but this time they better not tell me it has too many miles. It doesn't have as many as the last one that they said the limitless mile warranty wouldn't cover it because it had too many miles... I have only 12000 on my new one, but did that in 3 years instead of 2...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11677
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: Mule owners

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:06 am

TWELVE THOUSAND MILES on a UTV?
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4702
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Re: Mule owners

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:17 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:TWELVE THOUSAND MILES on a UTV?

I know right. I live on that thing for 4 months. The rest of the year I drive either the mile or gator.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7412
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Mule owners

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:46 am

cowgirl8 wrote:Of course... but the first complaint got us the second filter free.


Im still not seeing what kind of Mule it is? Can you post a pic of the snorkel set up?
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain


Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests