540 rpm?

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: 540 rpm?

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:23 am

greybeard wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:Got ya. Ive always like that our JD has 2 ranges, 4 gears in each, then a little shifter for another gear in between the main ones. So you can run 3rd and flip that deal and its faster than 3rd but not as fast as forth. Some one can probably explain it better but its handy as be nice. I find myself using it a lot. Not sure how common that is.

I don't know much about the Green ones.
Is that what they call a creeper gear?

From what I read on a creeper gear just now its not the same. The lever basically gives you a gear in between each of the 8 main gears. You can run like 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5 etc all the way to 8.5. A lot of the implement work is done in 3 and 4th. You end up with 4 options... in 3rd and 4th gear rather than just 2.

Here is how they list it on the tractor data sheet. They call it 1L, 1H, 2L, 2H all the way to 8L, 8H.
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractor ... ssion.html
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:31 am

Brute 23 wrote:
greybeard wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:Got ya. Ive always like that our JD has 2 ranges, 4 gears in each, then a little shifter for another gear in between the main ones. So you can run 3rd and flip that deal and its faster than 3rd but not as fast as forth. Some one can probably explain it better but its handy as be nice. I find myself using it a lot. Not sure how common that is.

I don't know much about the Green ones.

From what I read on a creeper gear just now its not the same. The lever basically gives you a gear in between each of the 8 main gears. You can run like 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5 etc all the way to 8.5. A lot of the implement work is done in 3 and 4th. You end up with 4 options... in 3rd and 4th gear rather than just 2.

Here is how they list it on the tractor data sheet. They call it 1L, 1H, 2L, 2H all the way to 8L, 8H.

Most of my Fords have something similar to what you're talking about, they call it Dual Power. It's an underdrive gear reduction for each gear (.8 I believe) that can be shifted on the fly. I've driven a bunch of the older Deere's with the rabbit/turtle lever on the left, and some of the newer ones were on the right hand shifter console - 2950, etc.
1 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:27 am

cfpinz wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:
greybeard wrote:I don't know much about the Green ones.

Most of my Fords have something similar to what you're talking about, they call it Dual Power. It's an underdrive gear reduction for each gear (.8 I believe) that can be shifted on the fly. I've driven a bunch of the older Deere's with the rabbit/turtle lever on the left, and some of the newer ones were on the right hand shifter console - 2950, etc.

Yes sir. That is how this one is. Little lever on right by all the other shifter. You can flip back and forth on the fly. Its handy as a shirt pocket.
0 x

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:30 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Yes sir. That is how this one is. Little lever on right by all the other shifter. You can flip back and forth on the fly. Its handy as a shirt pocket.

Don't they default back to one of the settings when you cut the tractor off? I have it in my mind they jump back to rabbit when you cut it off. Friend of mine has a 2950, you just slap the gear shifter left or right on it instead of having a separate lever. He had the tractor for a good while before he knew it had it.
0 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:12 pm

cfpinz wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:

Don't they default back to one of the settings when you cut the tractor off? I have it in my mind they jump back to rabbit when you cut it off. Friend of mine has a 2950, you just slap the gear shifter left or right on it instead of having a separate lever. He had the tractor for a good while before he knew it had it.

That's funny. That's sounds like some thing that would happen to me. :) Naw this one stays where you leave it.
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:22 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
cfpinz wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:

That's funny. That's sounds like some thing that would happen to me. :) Naw this one stays where you leave it.

PTO automatically cuts off when you shut the tractor down.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:38 pm

ddd75 wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:What is the benefit of not running 540?

There is no way of knowing with out having the run sheets on that motor. Most motors have an area of use then based on the load they can really dial in the sweet spot for peak efficiency.

One thing to consider is potential cooling issues even though with a pretty light load it shouldn't be.

I don't really see the benefit of running a lower RPM. I doubt the fuel consumption or wear and tear really amount to much. You probably have more to risk going against the recommended RPM than to gain trying to do it differently.

no benefit.. most equipment likes to be run at full speed, super high rpm for long duration's..

I know some people who even engage equipment at full 540.. :lol2:

Uh-oh .
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:38 pm

HDRider wrote:
ddd75 wrote:

There is no way of knowing with out having the run sheets on that motor. Most motors have an area of use then based on the load they can really dial in the sweet spot for peak efficiency.

One thing to consider is potential cooling issues even though with a pretty light load it shouldn't be.

I don't really see the benefit of running a lower RPM. I doubt the fuel consumption or wear and tear really amount to much. You probably have more to risk going against the recommended RPM than to gain trying to do it differently.

no benefit.. most equipment likes to be run at full speed, super high rpm for long duration's..

Uh-oh .
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:48 am

HDRider wrote:
ddd75 wrote:

Uh-oh .

The Branson 6530 has an Independent PTO selected by a switch for Off-ON (mechanical lever selects which ratio). It has a 24 disc oil cooled clutch for PTO engagement. It has a switch you can activate when you are using your PTO and turn a corner and are operating the 3 pt lift simultaneously. As you lift the implement and start the turn, a sensor on the front axle detects the position of the front wheel and when it gets to a certain position it kills the PTO till the tractor makes the turn, straightens back up and you lower the implement.

I never use it and always start it in idle rpms, but it's there. This tractor is built in Korea and if you ever saw what Korean rice farmers do, you will see that requirements are different than they are for me so I guess it has a necessity or they wouldn't have gone to the expense and time to design it in.
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”