Vermeer 504r Classic Baler

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
A.J.
Rancher
Rancher

Vermeer 504r Classic Baler

Postby A.J. » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:46 pm

Does anyone here have any experience with the 504r Classic balers? Evidently they are the model that replaced the Rebel. Our local dealer has a pretty good deal on one on their lot, and we’re considering trading our old Super I in on it. Thanks for any info.
0 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Re: Vermeer 504r Classic Baler

Postby hurleyjd » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:59 am

It looks like a very good baler. I like the fact that it has a wider pickup and make it easier to rake a wider windrow without the hay piling up between the wheels and balling up. That is the problem I have with the 5410 balers I have. That is the windrows became to wide and thick. The hay will get behind the tucker wheels and stop the baler from rolling.
0 x

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:55 am

I have zero operating experience with one, but have looked them over on the dealer's lot a couple times. I don't like the look of all of the space between the belts, not sure why they put 5 belts on that model instead of the normal 6? How much are you really saving by eliminating one belt?

What kind of pricing are you seeing on the Classic, and have you checked on the next model up in the series - the Signature baler?
0 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

A.J.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby A.J. » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:13 am

hurleyjd wrote:It looks like a very good baler. I like the fact that it has a wider pickup and make it easier to rake a wider windrow without the hay piling up between the wheels and balling up. That is the problem I have with the 5410 balers I have. That is the windrows became to wide and thick. The hay will get behind the tucker wheels and stop the baler from rolling.

I’ve run into the same thing with our Super I. Hay can get jammed up and stuck under the hay saver wheels and I have to back up to get the wad out.
0 x

A.J.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby A.J. » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:35 am

cfpinz wrote:I have zero operating experience with one, but have looked them over on the dealer's lot a couple times. I don't like the look of all of the space between the belts, not sure why they put 5 belts on that model instead of the normal 6? How much are you really saving by eliminating one belt?

What kind of pricing are you seeing on the Classic, and have you checked on the next model up in the series - the Signature baler?

That was one thing I wasn’t crazy about. I wish they had the additional belt on them. Different dealers I’ve checked with have them priced from $21-24000. The signature was between $30-32000.
0 x

ClodHopper37869
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ClodHopper37869 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:42 am

I have a 504N, I was told that the 504R replaced the 504N, I like my N, and I would love to have a R, just for the wide pickup...
0 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:06 am

A.J. wrote:
cfpinz wrote:I have zero operating experience with one, but have looked them over on the dealer's lot a couple times. I don't like the look of all of the space between the belts, not sure why they put 5 belts on that model instead of the normal 6? How much are you really saving by eliminating one belt?

That was one thing I wasn’t crazy about. I wish they had the additional belt on them. Different dealers I’ve checked with have them priced from $21-24000. The signature was between $30-32000.

The 5420 that was after the 5410 only has 5 belts but they are wider belts. Looks like you would have the same belt area with the five verus the six..
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:48 pm

I've been wanting a new net wrap baler for years, but can't justify the purchase for rolling 500 bales a year. But I do know, if I were to buy a new baler it wouldn't be another 5x4. A 6x4 is the smallest I'd buy, and if it wasn't for selling hay a 6x5 would be even better. It takes a lot more time to haul and feed hay 5x4 rolls.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:44 pm

All new design baler as stated before by cfpinz and I know nothing about. I have looked at them on the local dealer lot. They look to be designed like a Deere baler, which I like the old design Vermeer better. If I was in the market for a new baler would look hard a NH.
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:50 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:I've been wanting a new net wrap baler for years, but can't justify the purchase for rolling 500 bales a year. But I do know, if I were to buy a new baler it wouldn't be another 5x4. A 6x4 is the smallest I'd buy, and if it wasn't for selling hay a 6x5 would be even better. It takes a lot more time to haul and feed hay 5x4 rolls.

Used to have a JD 410. Made about a 6 - 700 pound 4x5 bale. The Vermeer 605L will make a 5x5 1/2 bale. 5x5’s stack better in my barns and weigh about 1000-1100 lbs. For me, I prefer the smaller bale. I get less waste feeding two smaller bales as opposed to the larger bales. Why feed 2 bales? Feeding space around a hay ring. Could unroll one roll, but still to much hay for 35 or so cows to clean up. Then you have to consider the groups with 15 to 25. I Actually cut the size to 4 1/2 ft a few years ago when folks balked at $70 a roll for hay that had $50 worth of fertilizer in it. Cut the price to $65 and nobody said a thing.
A smaller roll works better for me. Stopped growing hay to sell too.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:58 pm

1982vett wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:I've been wanting a new net wrap baler for years, but can't justify the purchase for rolling 500 bales a year. But I do know, if I were to buy a new baler it wouldn't be another 5x4. A 6x4 is the smallest I'd buy, and if it wasn't for selling hay a 6x5 would be even better. It takes a lot more time to haul and feed hay 5x4 rolls.

Used to have a JD 410. Made about a 6 - 700 pound 4x5 bale. The Vermeer 605L will make a 5x5 1/2 bale. 5x5’s stack better in my barns and weigh about 1000-1100 lbs. For me, I prefer the smaller bale. I get less waste feeding two smaller bales as opposed to the larger bales. Why feed 2 bales? Feeding space around a hay ring. Could unroll one roll, but still to much hay for 35 or so cows to clean up. Then you have to consider the groups with 15 to 25. I Actually cut the size to 4 1/2 ft a few years ago when folks balked at $70 a roll for hay. Cut the price to $65 and nobody said a thing.
A smaller roll works better for me. Stopped growing hay to sell too.

I feed hay out of trailers, three 6x5 rolls fit perfectly, I can squeeze four 6x4 rolls in but the cows will waste hay eating from the ends of the trailer. Hopefully my new design will fix that.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:05 pm

Thankfully I don’t feed all that much hay if the weather cooperates just a little. Another benefit of cutting back the herd size.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:32 am

True Grit Farms wrote: It takes a lot more time to haul and feed hay 5x4 rolls.

5x4 rolls are the most efficient for me to haul. I can stack 30 on a 43' drop deck semi using a double stacked top row. If I go to a 5' wide bale I have to single stack the top, and if I increase diameter to even a 65" bale then I lose 4 rolls from the trailer load. Everyone's situation is different.

I like the 6x4 baler as I can roll 66" diameter bales at home or where they're not going to be hauled, then punch a couple buttons and make them 60" for hauling.
1 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”