Deleted Cummins..pros and cons

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Deleted Cummins..pros and cons

Postby Atimm693 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:20 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
Atimm693 wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:
I don’t completely understand the whole EGR process. Far from it. But I think you’re correct. I think high idle is supposed to keep the EGR temps up and allow the DEF to burn off and keep it from building soot. Idk. TrueGrit has told me about the EGR filter before. Seems it causes problems too.

The prolonged idle issue has been around since they started using variable geometry turbos in the late 2000s. They're a lot more suceptible to carbon buildup because of all the moving parts.

At idle fuel is often not burned completely. Those hydrocarbons go through the catalyst and eventually end up in the DPF as soot, resulting in more frequent Regen cycles.

EGR is just a measure of applying an inert gas (exhaust fumes) to the combustion process, which lowers combustion temps, and consequently reduces NOx emissions. The complication being that diesel exhaust is often incredibly hot, requiring an EGR cooler, which transfers exhaust heat to the cooling system. That was the root of a lot of the problems with the 6.0 Powerstroke.

Good explanation. You seem to understand exactly what you’re talking about. If you don’t, at least you fooled me :lol2:

Atimm, do you know why is there such a big price difference on a turbo (RAM) between 2012.5 and 2013?

Probably has something to do with the emissions change, 13 was the first year for Tier 4 (DEF) in light duty pickups.
1 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”