4 wheeler for work/rough conditions

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
BobbyLummus1
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: 4 wheeler for work/rough conditions

Postby BobbyLummus1 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:42 pm

Looks to be confusion .
EPS- electric power steering , its almost never a problem in atvs or utvs . I have never heard anybody complain about power steering
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:54 pm

Atimm693 wrote:You can duck under limbs on an ATV. A UTV pulls them back so they whip you in the face.

Stihl makes a very reliable pole saw to help with this :hide:
1 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Atimm693 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:50 pm

BobbyLummus1 wrote:Looks to be confusion .
EPS- electric power steering , its almost never a problem in atvs or utvs . I have never heard anybody complain about power steering

I think he meant ESP, electronic shift pattern. Its what Honda calls their push button shift setup.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:57 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
Atimm693 wrote:You can duck under limbs on an ATV. A UTV pulls them back so they whip you in the face.

Stihl makes a very reliable pole saw to help with this :hide:

:lol: I can honestly say I have never been hit in the face by a limb on my utv but then again I have never grabbed a hot coal either.... just lucky I guess.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:42 pm

I went with a Polaris 570 4x4. 5225 out the door, 2018 model. I am not convinced it will be better than what I have, as far as a arm bushings durability, but I am looking for after-market hd bushings.

Honda was 4k higher, and the shifting on the DCT wasn't something I was interested in. Too much jerking around for me. Not the same trans as the 05 I rode prior, which I liked.

Was also looking at the Polaris 850. Big grin factor, sucker will run, but couldn't justify the additional 2k for hp I doubt I would ever use.
1 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

scottstot
Beginner
Beginner

Postby scottstot » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:24 pm

I bought a 2015 Polaris 850. They never installed the snap rings on the ball joins. I had to get new ball joints and A-arms but Polaris did pay for that. A year and a half later I had the fuel pump go out and two months after that it caught fire and burnt to the ground. Polaris did issue a recall on that model two weeks later so I ended up with a new one. I traded it for a Polaris 900 ranger that has had some minor issues.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:36 pm

scottstot wrote:I bought a 2015 Polaris 850. They never installed the snap rings on the ball joins. I had to get new ball joints and A-arms but Polaris did pay for that. A year and a half later I had the fuel pump go out and two months after that it caught fire and burnt to the ground. Polaris did issue a recall on that model two weeks later so I ended up with a new one.

Sounds like it had a very low cost of ownership. ;-)
0 x
Stocker Steve

Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Atimm693 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:24 pm

scottstot wrote:I bought a 2015 Polaris 850. They never installed the snap rings on the ball joins. I had to get new ball joints and A-arms but Polaris did pay for that. A year and a half later I had the fuel pump go out and two months after that it caught fire and burnt to the ground. Polaris did issue a recall on that model two weeks later so I ended up with a new one. I traded it for a Polaris 900 ranger that has had some minor issues.

Sounds like a Polaris.

Have a 06 700XP Ranger. Went back to the dealer early on for an EFI issue. Ball joints at 800 hours. Drive belt exploded at 1000, the cooling fan control in the ECM quit shortly after. Engine started knocking and was rebuilt at 1100. Has never really ran right since we got it back, it surges going down the road and idles rough. Exhaust manifold has vibrated loose twice, heat shields are all busted and missing from vibration.

Had it up on the lift a couple months ago for an oil change and stuff, rear wheel bearings and tie rods are loose, all A-arm bushings are shot, and the tailgate latch is all screwed up, with only 1500 hours on it. Junk.

My biggest gripe is that Polaris put the radiator unprotected up front where it gets all sorts of chaff in it if you take it across a field. Guess Polaris never thought people would want to take a UTV off road.
0 x

BobbyLummus1
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby BobbyLummus1 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:35 pm

sounds like all wear parts to me . Most people i ride with would have replaced ball joints and arm bushings as normal mainta.. 3 or 4 times by 1500 hours . 1000 hours on a $60 belt is nothing to complain about
1 x

Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Atimm693 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:47 pm

BobbyLummus1 wrote:sounds like all wear parts to me . Most people i ride with would have replaced ball joints and arm bushings as normal mainta.. 3 or 4 times by 1500 hours . 1000 hours on a $60 belt is nothing to complain about

You're right about the belt.

Everything else is just a be nice poor design that is not made to last.

You shouldn't have to completely revamp the suspension at 1000 hours. On a car that's equivalent to only 50,000 highway miles.

We have several other machines as well (not Polaris), their suspension is in good condition with more hours than that.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:10 pm

Atimm693 wrote:
BobbyLummus1 wrote:sounds like all wear parts to me . Most people i ride with would have replaced ball joints and arm bushings as normal mainta.. 3 or 4 times by 1500 hours . 1000 hours on a $60 belt is nothing to complain about

You shouldn't have to completely revamp the suspension at 1000 hours. On a car that's equivalent to only 50,000 highway miles.

We have several other machines as well (not Polaris), their suspension is in good condition with more hours than that.

If the Polaris had 1000 hours on a smooth surface like the car, I would agree completely. But if it has been used as a UTV, there’s a good possibility that those 1000 miles were under a lot more stressful conditions. Kinda like changing the oil in a tractor every 100 hours. It’s working much harder. :tiphat:
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:29 pm

I like Kubota mine has 2000 hours and still drives like new. The front drive shaft is the only thing that I have any complaints with. And if you run it in 4wd it still runs smooth. Ours doesn't see to much pavement, it still has the oem tires on it with plenty of tread.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Atimm693 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:52 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
Atimm693 wrote:

If the Polaris had 1000 hours on a smooth surface like the car, I would agree completely. But if it has been used as a UTV, there’s a good possibility that those 1000 miles were under a lot more stressful conditions. Kinda like changing the oil in a tractor every 100 hours. It’s working much harder. :tiphat:

A UTV should be built tough enough to provide a good service life under those conditions.

And 100 hours in a car is usually 3,000+ miles depending on average speed, which is when most people change their oil.
0 x

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:22 am

Atimm693 wrote:
scottstot wrote:I bought a 2015 Polaris 850. They never installed the snap rings on the ball joins. I had to get new ball joints and A-arms but Polaris did pay for that. A year and a half later I had the fuel pump go out and two months after that it caught fire and burnt to the ground. Polaris did issue a recall on that model two weeks later so I ended up with a new one. I traded it for a Polaris 900 ranger that has had some minor issues.

Sounds like a Polaris.

Have a 06 700XP Ranger. Went back to the dealer early on for an EFI issue. Ball joints at 800 hours. Drive belt exploded at 1000, the cooling fan control in the ECM quit shortly after. Engine started knocking and was rebuilt at 1100. Has never really ran right since we got it back, it surges going down the road and idles rough. Exhaust manifold has vibrated loose twice, heat shields are all busted and missing from vibration.

Had it up on the lift a couple months ago for an oil change and stuff, rear wheel bearings and tie rods are loose, all A-arm bushings are shot, and the tailgate latch is all screwed up, with only 1500 hours on it. Junk.

My biggest gripe is that Polaris put the radiator unprotected up front where it gets all sorts of chaff in it if you take it across a field. Guess Polaris never thought people would want to take a UTV off road.

I have a 2011 Polaris Diesel and have not had a single problem. It is run rough and under constant use. I could not be more pleased. In fact, I use it more on a day to day basis than the tractors.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:12 am

sstterry wrote:
Atimm693 wrote:

Sounds like a Polaris.

I have a 2011 Polaris Diesel and have not had a single problem. It is run rough and under constant use. I could not be more pleased. In fact, I use it more on a day to day basis than the tractors.

How many hours does your Polaris have? I'm very surprised that you've had no wiring issues, you got a good one.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”