Any New Chevy 2500 Owners?

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Any New Chevy 2500 Owners?

Postby Lucky » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:55 am

Mines a daully and is nearly impossible to park in town. The bigger back seat is nice but made the wheelbase too long. It rides nice and pulls a trailer good though. I’d like to know how the gas engine works out for you. Thinking I might buy a F350 regular cab gas for a feed truck in a few years when there’s more used ones out there.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:24 am

True Grit Farms wrote:Sure would like a check back in about 5k miles and let us know about the fuel mileage and overall likes dislikes. Just like in cattle we all see things differently. Thanks and the best of luck with your new boat.

Thanks. :lol: Shouldn't be a problem checking back in about it.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:26 am

Lucky wrote:Mines a daully and is nearly impossible to park in town. The bigger back seat is nice but made the wheelbase too long. It rides nice and pulls a trailer good though. I’d like to know how the gas engine works out for you. Thinking I might buy a F350 regular cab gas for a feed truck in a few years when there’s more used ones out there.

That big back seat area is certainly nice, but like you said it adds a little length overall. Already notice it doesn't have the pep the Duramax had. Guess I'll get used to that.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:31 am

slick4591 wrote:
Lucky wrote:Mines a daully and is nearly impossible to park in town. The bigger back seat is nice but made the wheelbase too long. It rides nice and pulls a trailer good though. I’d like to know how the gas engine works out for you. Thinking I might buy a F350 regular cab gas for a feed truck in a few years when there’s more used ones out there.

That big back seat area is certainly nice, but like you said it adds a little length overall. Already notice it doesn't have the pep the Duramax had. Guess I'll get used to that.

Does it have the 6.2 gas engine?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:12 am

True Grit Farms wrote:Does it have the 6.2 gas engine?

Yes sir.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:19 am

slick4591 wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Does it have the 6.2 gas engine?

Yes sir.

I would of thought a new gas burner would run all over an older diesel. I test drove a regular cab 4x4 Ford with a 6.2 and thought it had a lot of pep. My brothers Hemi will out run my Cummins till 80 - 85 then it's game over.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:31 am

Could be I'm driving it differently, but it seemed like it took a little longer to get up to speed than the diesel. I only put about 20 miles on it yesterday so I guess time will tell me more about it.
0 x

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:50 pm

It might be the transmission. Mine seems a little slow on take of up to about 30 mph but then it’s fine, I think they’re just geared that way. It could also just be that diesels have to be driven differently than gas pickups. I’ll hop in my gas feed truck and think this thing won’t pull your hat off until I remember to mash on it more.
0 x

Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Atimm693 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:25 am

slick4591 wrote:Could be I'm driving it differently, but it seemed like it took a little longer to get up to speed than the diesel. I only put about 20 miles on it yesterday so I guess time will tell me more about it.

The powerband is pretty much opposite and will take some getting use to.

Gas engines need RPM to achieve peak torque and HP. Diesels peak at ~2000 RPM usually.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:47 am

Lucky wrote:It might be the transmission. Mine seems a little slow on take of up to about 30 mph but then it’s fine, I think they’re just geared that way. It could also just be that diesels have to be driven differently than gas pickups. I’ll hop in my gas feed truck and think this thing won’t pull your hat off until I remember to mash on it more.

Atimm693 wrote:The powerband is pretty much opposite and will take some getting use to.

Gas engines need RPM to achieve peak torque and HP. Diesels peak at ~2000 RPM usually.

I put a little over a 100 on it yesterday and seems like it's clicking with me a little better. There's a difference in the accelerator and I don't think I've been aggressive enough. Thanks for the info!

Side note: Ford people around town are telling it was about time I smartened up and the Chevy folks are calling me an idiot. Hopefully, I fit somewhere in between. :lol2:
0 x

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:56 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote: .............. You can pound a nail in with a wrench, but you can't torque a bolt with a hammer.

Yes you can and I've done it....if you add a chisel. The chisel will bite into the hex ears and do the job. Application was a place where I couldn't get a wrench in to an area where I had to remove and reinstall a bolt. Gotta make do with what you have.

Now on the trucks, no comment. I know my little '11 4.8 gasser Silverado is ok fine alone but put a load on it, especially with wind resistance (16x6 stock trailer with tack room up front), even with tow-haul, get over 55 and she starts asking for forgiveness. But that's fine as the trailer is a once a year event; chores are an every day type thing.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:24 pm

slick4591 wrote:
Lucky wrote:It might be the transmission. Mine seems a little slow on take of up to about 30 mph but then it’s fine, I think they’re just geared that way. It could also just be that diesels have to be driven differently than gas pickups. I’ll hop in my gas feed truck and think this thing won’t pull your hat off until I remember to mash on it more.

Atimm693 wrote:The powerband is pretty much opposite and will take some getting use to.

I put a little over a 100 on it yesterday and seems like it's clicking with me a little better. There's a difference in the accelerator and I don't think I've been aggressive enough. Thanks for the info!

Side note: Ford people around town are telling it was about time I smartened up and the Chevy folks are calling me an idiot. Hopefully, I fit somewhere in between. :lol2:

Here's the deal straight up, if your going to work on your truck yourself you don't want a GM. Replacing the power steering pump and lines will make a preacher cuss, and replacing the water pump is even worse, and I'll leave the steering components for another discussion. We know nothing about the newer Ford trucks so I'm of no help there. My neighbor had a really nice low mileage 4x4 3500 Denali for sale cheap, and my son wouldn't let me buy it. GM makes a great truck till they start to need repairs.
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:45 pm

pffff^ Yeah just get a ford and remove the cab to work on anything.
1 x

Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Atimm693 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:34 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
slick4591 wrote:

Here's the deal straight up, if your going to work on your truck yourself you don't want a GM. Replacing the power steering pump and lines will make a preacher cuss, and replacing the water pump is even worse, and I'll leave the steering components for another discussion. We know nothing about the newer Ford trucks so I'm of no help there. My neighbor had a really nice low mileage 4x4 3500 Denali for sale cheap, and my son wouldn't let me buy it. GM makes a great truck till they start to need repairs.

At least GM labels their fuse boxes, and doesn't rivet their door pins. Chevy's don't spit out spark plugs either.

My 06 Chevy gasser has one of the roomiest engine compartments that I've seen.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:45 pm

Texasmark wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote: .............. You can pound a nail in with a wrench, but you can't torque a bolt with a hammer.

Yes you can and I've done it....if you add a chisel. The chisel will bite into the hex ears and do the job. Application was a place where I couldn't get a wrench in to an area where I had to remove and reinstall a bolt. Gotta make do with what you have.

Now on the trucks, no comment. I know my little '11 4.8 gasser Silverado is ok fine alone but put a load on it, especially with wind resistance (16x6 stock trailer with tack room up front), even with tow-haul, get over 55 and she starts asking for forgiveness. But that's fine as the trailer is a once a year event; chores are an every day type thing.

Ok. Everyone knows that you can tighten or loosen a bolt with a hammer and a chisel. I hesitated to post my original statement, for just this reason. My point is, there is a tool for every job. Now, if you can put the proper TORQUE on one that way, you might have something. Details.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”