Best Skid Steer for Farm Use

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
T & B farms
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Best Skid Steer for Farm Use

Postby T & B farms » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:36 am

BobbyLummus1 wrote:Do you understand the regen process ?

Yes I do. We have over 10 machines that run on it. 2 combines, 7 tractors, sprayer,and skid loader. Last year we burned 28,000$ in def. Almost every problem we have is either electrical, or def related. You can’t afford to keep these new ones out of warranty, regardless of brand. I was told by a equipment dealer friend that the tier 4 alone added 60,000$ to the last tractor be bought. True or not I have no idea.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:43 am

T & B farms wrote:
BobbyLummus1 wrote:Do you understand the regen process ?

Yes I do. We have over 10 machines that run on it. 2 combines, 7 tractors, sprayer,and skid loader. Last year we burned 28,000$ in def. Almost every problem we have is either electrical, or def related. You can’t afford to keep these new ones out of warranty, regardless of brand. I was told by a equipment dealer friend that the tier 4 alone added 60,000$ to the last tractor be bought. True or not I have no idea.

Someone needs to get the vehicle emissions law all the way to the SCOTUS. Maybe we could get the decision reverse and do away all vehicle emissions. That's a lot more important than gay marriage, smoking dope and abortion.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 5S Cattle » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:04 pm

I’d see what kind of shape that smoking engine is in. Before sticking money into an old machine

JHALL
Beginner
Beginner

Postby JHALL » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:47 pm

5S Cattle wrote:I’d see what kind of shape that smoking engine is in. Before sticking money into an old machine

That’s my main concern. If the motor is toast, I’m not willing to pay for a replacement unless a good deal could be had on a used motor, but I don’t know how available that would be, plus the labor of replacement. If the engine stops smoking with air filter replacements, I’ll fix the rest of it.

I couldn’t afford these newer machines anyway and our little operation isn’t big enough to be taking out loans against a skid steer.

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 5S Cattle » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:48 pm

JHALL wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:I’d see what kind of shape that smoking engine is in. Before sticking money into an old machine

That’s my main concern. If the motor is toast, I’m not willing to pay for a replacement unless a good deal could be had on a used motor, but I don’t know how available that would be, plus the labor of replacement. If the engine stops smoking with air filter replacements, I’ll fix the rest of it.
What color smoke?
I couldn’t afford these newer machines anyway and our little operation isn’t big enough to be taking out loans against a skid steer.

JHALL
Beginner
Beginner

Postby JHALL » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:34 pm

I would say white, I guess. Didn’t appear to be low on coolant, oil didn’t appear to be milky when I checked it last (after it was parked last I used it). And the engine temp light has never come on, neither has the oil pressure light. I’m *assuming* the sensors work as the lights come on briefly when you turn the key on.

Like I’ve said, saying it’s been poorly maintained is a generous statement, so I doubt the air filters have been replaced as long as my wife’s grandpa has had it. I was just going to start there in case they were clogged with dirt and the motor is just starving for air.

I’m only a few years new to all this machinery/tractors. I’ve been around the farm since my wife and I started dating 15 years ago, but only three or so years ago did I jump both feet in. We do everything now, now that they’re not able to.

Turkeybird
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Turkeybird » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:03 pm

Fix the old one! I had a old one same scenario, bought a new new holland and it ran great for a year, then the sensors and electronic crap went south. Dealer would not honor warranty( electrica)! You could spend 5k$ repairing the ole gal and be better off

Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Atimm693 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:53 pm

JHALL wrote:I would say white, I guess. Didn’t appear to be low on coolant, oil didn’t appear to be milky when I checked it last (after it was parked last I used it). And the engine temp light has never come on, neither has the oil pressure light. I’m *assuming* the sensors work as the lights come on briefly when you turn the key on.

Like I’ve said, saying it’s been poorly maintained is a generous statement, so I doubt the air filters have been replaced as long as my wife’s grandpa has had it. I was just going to start there in case they were clogged with dirt and the motor is just starving for air.

I’m only a few years new to all this machinery/tractors. I’ve been around the farm since my wife and I started dating 15 years ago, but only three or so years ago did I jump both feet in. We do everything now, now that they’re not able to.

White smoke is usually fuel related.

Thick blue smoke under load that stinks like oil is what you need to watch out for.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:34 am

Atimm693 wrote:
JHALL wrote:I would say white, I guess. Didn’t appear to be low on coolant, oil didn’t appear to be milky when I checked it last (after it was parked last I used it). And the engine temp light has never come on, neither has the oil pressure light. I’m *assuming* the sensors work as the lights come on briefly when you turn the key on.

Thick blue smoke under load that stinks like oil is what you need to watch out for.

That's exactly the opposite of how I view an engine problem. White smoke is oil, black smoke is fuel.

Turkeybird
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Turkeybird » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:54 am

Black means horsepower at work, white means something ain't right

Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Atimm693 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:18 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Atimm693 wrote:

That's exactly the opposite of how I view an engine problem. White smoke is oil, black smoke is fuel.

White smoke is created when there is not enough heat to create combustion, fuel is atomized but not burnt and spit out as vapor.

Black smoke in moderate amounts is just excess fuel in a properly running engine.

Blue or gray is usually always oil, although sometimes a dribbling injector can cause darker smoke.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:24 am

Atimm693 wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Atimm693 wrote:

White smoke is created when there is not enough heat to create combustion, fuel is atomized but not burnt and spit out as vapor.

Black smoke in moderate amounts is just excess fuel in a properly running engine.

Blue or gray is usually always oil, although sometimes a dribbling injector can cause darker smoke.

Have you ever started a diesel engine on straight oil?

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:43 am

White smoke can be an injector problem or coolant getting into the combustion chamber.
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:45 am

ohiosteve wrote:White smoke can be an injector problem or coolant getting into the combustion chamber.

Water in fuel also causes white smoke.
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Atimm693 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:01 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Atimm693 wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:That's exactly the opposite of how I view an engine problem. White smoke is oil, black smoke is fuel.

Have you ever started a diesel engine on straight oil?

They all smoke white on a cold start because of what I explained earlier, type of fuel doesn't matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5wiAtjDn5A