What's it worth?

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Aaron
GURU
GURU

Re: What's it worth?

Post by Aaron » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:35 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:06 am
Nice I beams. See mostly tubing here.

Are you going to get it dirty this fall ?
Maybe if it actually quits raining. Otherwise I might be waiting until freeze-up. Cutting hay yesterday. First day after 2 weeks and 10 inches of rain. It is soft. Grain guys are so screwed this year. It will be two weeks until they will be able to get back to the fields and we are getting another inch on Friday.

cor durum laborem

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:34 am

Looks like it's led a life of leisure for sure. I'd be happy to find such a deal, especially this year since most of my hay is baleage and in a central spot rather than placed strategically for feeding.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:05 am

I finished cutting hay yesterday. Forecast was rain Thursday night, but it came this morning.
Stocker Steve

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:45 am

What is the fall rain total up to? Are you able to float thru with the new trailer ?
Stocker Steve

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Post by Aaron » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:06 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:45 am
What is the fall rain total up to? Are you able to float thru with the new trailer ?
In around 16" from August 27 to October 1st. Had to move some bales in field to higher ground with tractor only. Creek was breaching banks and pools of water in fields became ponds. One spot when I lifted bale with loader, sod gave way under tractor and I dropped 10" instantly. Barely got out with four wheel drive.

BTO grain operator was bound and determined to get crop off some terrible fields. All tile drained. He dug 2' deep ruts in field taking crop off. People are wondering if he ended up crushing his tile which would be in the 30-36" depth range.

Crop might be 30% off. Maybe at best. Lots of mangled fields. All feed grain. Neighbor wheat is just mush - might rot in bin before they can get it dry. Told that soybeans are getting mildew in pods. Lots of straw left in fields that will likely never be baled.

Nobody has made any big moves in a month. Hay is out in fields everywhere. Can't even drive lawnmower around lawn without leaving black marks on first pass - let alone driving heavy equipment in fields. I am busy working on fences and seems that others are doing that as well. If I didn't have that to do, I would be going insane.

Only blessing is we haven't had frost yet and grass is still growing steady.

Oh and 1/2 of our sales barn burnt down, so we are trying to deal with that as well. Luckily it wasn't main barn with scales, but it eliminated all of our outdoor covered pens.
cor durum laborem

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:22 am

That is awful. I thought we had it bad here, but I no longer believe that to be the case.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:27 am

Back in the day northern Minnesota had some wood fired grain dryers built by local Finns. They learned this in the old country. Worked OK for enough oats to feed the family cow and a team of horses. Have heard of some bigger ones using a wood fired hot water boiler but have not seen one in action.

Years like this require bean drying, and you have to go cooler and more humid to avoid lots of soybeans splitting. Need half or less of the drying rate used for corn. I was recently explaining to a NE Minnesota farmer how I was getting rich ;-) growing soybeans with high K cattle manure. He said yaaa, but we have no gas fired grain dryers in my area.

How many gas fired dryers are up on the Rainy? I hope your grain guys did not spend all their money on new combines?
Stocker Steve

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Post by Aaron » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:50 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:27 am
How many gas fired dryers are up on the Rainy? I hope your grain guys did not spend all their money on new combines?
I am not sure if the feed store/grain dealer has it's dryer set up on gas or propane. I know the local BTO is still using propane even thought he built his entire bin yard right beside the main natural gas line. I don't think the gas utility is interested in creating an access point for just his grain bins off the main supply line. So there is only two dryers I know of. Majority use just aeration fans. Very little access to natural gas beyond the main highway in this area. Heat is either electric, wood or propane.
cor durum laborem

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:00 am

Propane works, but it can be more expensive than gas.
Issue is aeration does not work well with wet beans.
Stocker Steve