Scales

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Scales

Post by snoopdog » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:18 pm

Mechanical beam, how do you get an accurate weight with the stomping around an such?

Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

LJCB
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Scales

Post by LJCB » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:06 pm

Don’t know anything about your scale and instead of posting another topic about scales I wanted to ask if anyone knows what the most affordable scale for a chute. Have a formost 450 and have been wanting one just don’t really want to spend 2k on one.

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:07 pm

I have reviewed Tru-Test alley way scales. The one I want cost 3 K.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

LJCB
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by LJCB » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:27 pm

Yeah those seem to be the easier option but I’m not for sure how that work when my alley only has one stop at the back end and the formost sales rep says those won’t fit on the floor of the chute

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:55 pm

LJCB wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:27 pm
Yeah those seem to be the easier option but I’m not for sure how that work when my alley only has one stop at the back end and the formost sales rep says those won’t fit on the floor of the chute
I would put mine in the alley just before they enter the palpation cage. I would like to fix it so they walk on without a step up.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Post by bird dog » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:04 pm

Good scales will lock on in a few seconds. The cheaper versions from China that the sell online are not so user friendly. You get what you pay for.

IMO under the chute is the way to go. A scale platform in the alley is just another step to get the animal through the chute. You have to build a additional catch area with the gates that go with it. Under the chute, you get the weight while you are doing everything else. The animal won't jump around as much as much with its head locked. I can't see how one in the bottom of the chute would stand up without a lot of maintenance and clean out.
Tru Test are expensive but mine have work flawlessly for 6 or 7 years and that includes taking them up and moving them to a new location. They make a lot of hold down plates for different chutes. They are floating on the load bars so they move around a bunch with a skitsy cow but so far they have held up well.

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:50 pm

LJCB wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:06 pm
Don’t know anything about your scale and instead of posting another topic about scales I wanted to ask if anyone knows what the most affordable scale for a chute. Have a formost 450 and have been wanting one just don’t really want to spend 2k on one.

Look at B&B scales website. They sell a 10k build your own scale kit. I had them on a truck feeder for several years then moved them to a squeeze chute. Probably had the scale kit for 6-7 yrs with no issues. Having scales on the chute is great, should have done it years ago.

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Post by bird dog » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:41 am

The under the chute scale package that B & B sent me was junk. They were not very cooperative and I had to get the fine folks at Visa involved. Visa refunded my money and B & B never contested it. Maybe they have changed?

A & A out of New Jersey were much more helpful for the discount kits.

If you plan on being in business for a while, bite the bullet and spend the money for a good set. The frustration that you have with a cheap set is not worth it. They are a very valuable part of any operation and help you understand how to limit the shrink when you market your calves. They also give you advance warning when a cow has something wrong if her weight starts falling off.

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Post by chevytaHOE5674 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:26 am

Ive had B&B scales under my chute for 6+ years and have no complaints. Every time before I weigh cattle I toss a known 100lbs weight or 2 in the chute and it always reads right. Figure for what I'm doing with the numbers they are more than accurate enough.

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:06 pm

Again, I'm looking at a set of mechanicals, with a cage, for far less than an electronic set. I would like to hear your experiences with MECHANICAL scales.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

LJCB
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by LJCB » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:54 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:55 pm
LJCB wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:27 pm
I would put mine in the alley just before they enter the palpation cage. I would like to fix it so they walk on without a step up.
So today I was at a county fair (a late one) but the formost dealer was there and I told I had the 450 and really wanted a scale and he was showing me the options from tru test and quoted me both and I ended up getting XHD 2 load cells with ez weigh 5i for 2300 delivered to my house . Went with the cells vs the bars because they can be set on uneven ground and doesn’t have to be on concrete

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Post by bird dog » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:06 pm

So if they are not on concrete, what will they be on? They look like a neat product that would be easy to service if you had a problem.

This site says this. Not sure what it means "in concrete"

" The load cells need to be mounted in concrete to ensure safety and reliability. "

https://www.cattlescales.com/load-bars/ ... TMQAvD_BwE

LJCB
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by LJCB » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:57 am

Mine will be on a dirt floor and I called tru test just to see if the sales guy was pulling my chain and he said asking as the chute is level it doesn’t matter what surface your on. They obviously want you to be in concrete so it’s the most accurate. He said just to level chute much as possible and check it after a few times of use to make sure it’s the most level it can be. Sales guy says vets use them on the portable chutes and don’t level them and they work fine.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:06 am

snoopdog wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:18 pm
Mechanical beam, how do you get an accurate weight with the stomping around an such?
If erratic, check the pivot points to be sure they are properly in their yoke or see if a cable is broken. Some animals are more excited than others and take a bit longer to get evened up on the floor to see a true weight. We have 3 different scales (some for sheep) and it is always that way. And as far as checking the weight- you can put bags of minerals in and see how to adjust.