market ne texas

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
ccr
Cowhand
Cowhand

market ne texas

Post by ccr » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:55 pm

from what i can tell i lost about $500 not selling 7 yearlings last week, that is compared to selling this week. they are 8- 9 weights. click on the market reports below and zoom to read.
Image Image

so like everyone else i'm wondering do i sell now, or maybe they will go up in a week or two or next month. prices sure seems low now.

i have grass to carry them for a month or so, but will need to supplement with feed at about .50 cents per day per head if i'm figuring right.

clark cattle ranch
happiness is healthy cattle

TexFarmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: market ne texas

Post by TexFarmer » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:40 pm

Hard to make things pencil out in this market, especially if you're having to buy feed to over-winter them. I've heard of guys holding out, waiting for the market to correct, but the way prices have been going doesn't look like an uptick will happen anytime soon. The closer we get to winter a lot of guys are going to sell out knowing that the market is way down and they don't want to buy hay. I think the market is going to get flooded soon and if I were looking to have to buy feed this year, I'd sell sooner rather than later.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:39 am

TexFarmer wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:40 pm
Hard to make things pencil out in this market, especially if you're having to buy feed to over-winter them. I've heard of guys holding out, waiting for the market to correct, but the way prices have been going doesn't look like an uptick will happen anytime soon. The closer we get to winter a lot of guys are going to sell out knowing that the market is way down and they don't want to buy hay. I think the market is going to get flooded soon and if I were looking to have to buy feed this year, I'd sell sooner rather than later.
It’s getting to the point if we don’t stand together won’t be many left standing. I don’t know the answer here.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:42 am

One thing for sure we know, a fire shook an unsettled market. Second thing we know is seasonal weakness is upon us.

If everyone holds hoping for better prices in the future, it is just kicking the can down the road. The one's that can hold the longest might make a little or not. Depends on individual circumstances and how well input costs are managed.

:2cents:

Personally, I don't think enough people have lost enough money to help the markets in the near future.
Aug 7, 2019 22:51GMT -5 the illustrious potentate said:
Because you have the freedom to say what you think, doesn't always mean that you should.

The right to speak freely is not free of consequences.

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:36 pm

I don’t think I’d keep them past November at that size.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:17 pm

My experience in East Texas has been if you don’t dump them in September hold them till January.
Unless some cosmic event changes the space time continuum you’ll get your feelings hurt here.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

Hippie Rancher
GURU
GURU

Post by Hippie Rancher » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:04 pm

doubt the prices will go up until at least spring, but the world is crazy right now, who knows?