How to tell when times up for your bull?

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 19240
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: How to tell when times up for your bull?

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:35 am

TCRanch wrote:Time to load him & say buh-bye, Sky! He may be bored & having fun but your safety comes first!!


Very much the truth
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
jltrent
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2309
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 pm

Re: How to tell when times up for your bull?

Postby jltrent » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:49 am

Don't park that new truck in the field and let him play with it.
0 x

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 19240
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: How to tell when times up for your bull?

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:48 am

jltrent wrote:Don't park that new truck in the field and let him play with it.


You know I was thinking about that this morning if he does you will see pics of a lot of ground beef :lol:
1 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 643
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:26 pm
Location: Near the Mason Dixon line

Re: How to tell when times up for your bull?

Postby MRRherefords » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:05 am

Docility is extremely important to us in our bulls. If one doesn't act right they are in the freezer.
0 x

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 19240
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: How to tell when times up for your bull?

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon May 21, 2018 12:02 am

Just sold him last week 2120# @ .73 #
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8177
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: How to tell when times up for your bull?

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun May 27, 2018 10:38 am

Can there be a situation where older (5 to 8 years) bulls can pass a semen test but don't have the mobility to get it all done?

We MIG 3 to 14 acre paddocks and so the bulls don't need to travel sections of range, but we run about 40 cows per mature bull so they do need to stay of top of things.
0 x
Stocker Steve

User avatar
jltrent
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2309
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 pm

Re: How to tell when times up for your bull?

Postby jltrent » Thu May 31, 2018 7:07 am

skyhightree1 wrote:Just sold him last week 2120# @ .73 #
Good size bull that is big enough to do a lot of damage to larger toys and humans. Good riddance IMO, dang shame he didn't bring at least a buck a pound like he should have, compared the way beef is priced in the stores.
0 x

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 19240
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: How to tell when times up for your bull?

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:30 am

jltrent wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:Just sold him last week 2120# @ .73 #
Good size bull that is big enough to do a lot of damage to larger toys and humans. Good riddance IMO, dang shame he didn't bring at least a buck a pound like he should have, compared the way beef is priced in the stores.


Yea he was a master ring tearer upper too.... Never was aggressive to a person at all. Yea I carried him to blackstone market and if i drove him to lynchburg i would have got 1.00 lb... Yes sir it is good riddance wife hated to see him go she liked him i did too when he wasnt being distructive. I still don't understand 10.00lb in stores and we barely get 15% of that and we raised the animals
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3712
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Yantis, Texas

Re: How to tell when times up for your bull?

Postby hurleyjd » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:03 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
jltrent wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:Just sold him last week 2120# @ .73 #
Good size bull that is big enough to do a lot of damage to larger toys and humans. Good riddance IMO, dang shame he didn't bring at least a buck a pound like he should have, compared the way beef is priced in the stores.


Yea he was a master ring tearer upper too.... Never was aggressive to a person at all. Yea I carried him to blackstone market and if i drove him to lynchburg i would have got 1.00 lb... Yes sir it is good riddance wife hated to see him go she liked him i did too when he wasnt being distructive. I still don't understand 10.00lb in stores and we barely get 15% of that and we raised the animals


Get the calculator out and figure all of the transportation, labor cost and all before it is placed in the meat market counter and you will see why. We buy ground beef in the area for $2.99 lb all day long and that is where your bull meat ended up.
0 x

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 19240
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: How to tell when times up for your bull?

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:26 am

hurleyjd wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
jltrent wrote:Good size bull that is big enough to do a lot of damage to larger toys and humans. Good riddance IMO, dang shame he didn't bring at least a buck a pound like he should have, compared the way beef is priced in the stores.


Yea he was a master ring tearer upper too.... Never was aggressive to a person at all. Yea I carried him to blackstone market and if i drove him to lynchburg i would have got 1.00 lb... Yes sir it is good riddance wife hated to see him go she liked him i did too when he wasnt being distructive. I still don't understand 10.00lb in stores and we barely get 15% of that and we raised the animals


Get the calculator out and figure all of the transportation, labor cost and all before it is placed in the meat market counter and you will see why. We buy ground beef in the area for $2.99 lb all day long and that is where your bull meat ended up.


In years to come I see alot more people leaving and abandoning cattle production unless your a big producer. I am small time and the $$$ isn't there for my operation and I don't have alot of overhead. I will keep a few because i like them but earn a living or be a good portion of my income not at these prices. IMO you can look at all the things you mentioned and the producers are still getting screwed.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3712
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Yantis, Texas

Re: How to tell when times up for your bull?

Postby hurleyjd » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:40 am

I am 99% sure that I am going to quit this year. Tired of subsidizing the beef industry.
0 x

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 19240
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: How to tell when times up for your bull?

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:25 am

hurleyjd wrote:I am 99% sure that I am going to quit this year. Tired of subsidizing the beef industry.


I am going to only keep a few as i like them and they will be a hobby.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7598
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: How to tell when times up for your bull?

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:25 am

If you own the land you can make a little money in the cattle business. Some folks do alright on lease land, I just can't make it pencil out. Is $40 dollars a hour a fair rate to figure when using your equipment on someone else's leased property?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 19240
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: How to tell when times up for your bull?

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:31 am

True Grit Farms wrote:If you own the land you can make a little money in the cattle business. Some folks do alright on lease land, I just can't make it pencil out. Is $40 dollars a hour a fair rate to figure when using your equipment on someone else's leased property?


I own and lease land and it does ok but doesn't equal out to the work and costs of things like fertilizer and lime used and such. On someone elses leased land like baling for them or mowing hay? something like that?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7598
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: How to tell when times up for your bull?

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:11 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:If you own the land you can make a little money in the cattle business. Some folks do alright on lease land, I just can't make it pencil out. Is $40 dollars a hour a fair rate to figure when using your equipment on someone else's leased property?


I own and lease land and it does ok but doesn't equal out to the work and costs of things like fertilizer and lime used and such. On someone elses leased land like baling for them or mowing hay? something like that?


Sky, I figured my inputs plus $40 dollars per hour for my equipment on the land I leased, I included my time and fuel into the $40. I just couldn't make it pencil out for me. I like to stay busy but I'm not working on someone else's land for nothing.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.


Return to “Cattle Sales”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests