Knots on shoulders and legs

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
callmefence
GURU
GURU

Knots on shoulders and legs

Postby callmefence » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:34 pm

See a fair amount of otherwise good cattle get sold at a large discount with knots on their shoulders or hocks.
I saw a very nice 14 month old red Angus registered bull with hiefer bull numbers sell for 550.00 today.
He had a large( between soccer and softball ) knot on his shoulder.
The seller had 30 bulls in the sale. And announced it was a three week old injury from the chute.
Anyone have experience dealing with these kinda deals?? Is it worth the risk.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Knots on shoulders and legs

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:53 pm

callmefence wrote:I saw a very nice 14 month old red Angus registered bull with hiefer bull numbers sell for 550.00 today.
He had a large( between soccer and softball ) knot on his shoulder.
The seller had 30 bulls in the sale. And announced it was a three week old injury from the chute.

Hematoma. Blood collecting below the skin due to a traumatic injury. Will go away. Probably, a good buy if he is discounted.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:35 pm

Yeh, that wouldn't concern me if weight bearing capacity wasn't affected, as BR said those things will go down, could even be a localised vaccine reaction especially to the clostridial disease vaccines.Some people just are looking for any silly little thing to pass on a bull often at their expense.

Ken
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:35 pm

You mean like this?
We bought this cow in 2011, during the drought, in an online registered angus dispersal sale. Went to OK to pick her up a week later and it was very dark. When we unloaded her at home, right shoulder had a huge abscess. I took her to the vet, and he lanced that big one you see (she had a smaller one on the other side). He said it was caused from hitting the chute too hard. The smell of the liquid that came out was bad enough to make both of us want to puke! He put a drain in it (after washing it out), and it healed up just fine when all was said and done. We got a few calves out of her, then shipped her and kept that heifer calf (she was not broke to a halter and we did not have a good working facility at that time). Some of my best heifers are descendants of that heifer calf (TC Freedom x Pioneer).
1 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:06 am

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:You mean like this?
We bought this cow in 2011, during the drought, in an online registered angus dispersal sale. Went to OK to pick her up a week later and it was very dark. When we unloaded her at home, right shoulder had a huge abscess. I took her to the vet, and he lanced that big one you see (she had a smaller one on the other side). He said it was caused from hitting the chute too hard. The smell of the liquid that came out was bad enough to make both of us want to puke! He put a drain in it (after washing it out), and it healed up just fine when all was said and done. We got a few calves out of her, then shipped her and kept that heifer calf (she was not broke to a halter and we did not have a good working facility at that time). Some of my best heifers are descendants of that heifer calf (TC Freedom x Pioneer).

Glad to see I'm not the only one to put up a tarp so they'll have a little shade in the cow pen.....
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Return to “Cattle Sales”