sold 7, did poorly but they were culls for a reason

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Re: sold 7, did poorly but they were culls for a reason

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:15 pm

farmerjan wrote: Is there any "normal anymore" ???

Not often.
Minnesota has alot more rain on the east side.
Here we seem to get about 1 dry year, one wet year, and a couple in-between.
An issue is that we get more 4 to 6" rain events and that water ponds up somewhere.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Allenw
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Allenw » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:49 pm

kenny thomas wrote:If it doesn't improve will there be lots of cattle sold there before winter.

I think they have been selling along already with older cows being sold early instead of this fall after weaning. I'm seeing a fair number of cows still out on wheat fields gleaning what they can. If we get some rain along this month and the haygrazer and crabgrass grows it will make a lot of difference. I have some grass patches I can keep moving my small bunch of cattle around on and keep going until fall probably with out too much trouble. If I had the numbers I would like to have I would soon be in trouble.
0 x

Allenw
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Allenw » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:55 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Allenw wrote:Rain has been spotty and variable, I planted some haygrazer on a good shower and got it up with another good rain on it since planting, another field on that place has a good stand of crabgrass. I've planted some more haygrazer on the second rain that is starting to come up, they keep giving us a chance of rain and taking it away before it gets here.

What percent of the time do you get a good crop yield with haygrazer?

It's all dependent on the rain how it does, I would preferred to have had some Hegari or Early Sumac to plant but couldn't find any this year. The hybrid stuff can be planted deeper which isn't a bad thing right now.
0 x

Allenw
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Allenw » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:59 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:How many grazing days worth of grass do you try to have banked up ahead of the cows?

Right now is when our warm season native grass should be just starting to crest it's peak growth period, we haven't really had a chance to get anything ahead really.
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:25 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:How many grazing days worth of grass do you try to have banked up ahead of the cows?

Ideally, 40 days, but reality is typically 30. Have 3 large pastures that are approximately same acreage/production. Try to get 20 days on one before moving to the next and so on..but 15 days is closer to the norm before moving to the next.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

Return to “Cattle Sales”