got one in the jail to sale

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Re: got one in the jail to sale

Postby BRYANT » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:03 am

True Grit Farms wrote:I think some folks sedate their wild cows when they sell them. I've bought some that weren't crazy in the ring, but once I got them home they were nuts. I never let them out of the working pens unless they jump out. The very next week their back at the sale.

We killed a bull several years ago when I worked at a packing house that had been drugged. They said he had any ways , unloaded on a weekend and was so crazy Mon. we had to shoot him in the pens could not even get him to kill shoot. USDA probably would not even let us do what we did then.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:45 am

BRYANT wrote:
Banjo wrote:I was wondering why you have to get her up? Do you work your cows several times a year? I don't like wild cattle either..... but if one is raising a really good calf why not just let her go. I have some cows that haven't been worked since they were heifers....years.
Unless a cow has a specific health issue, she don't get run thru the chute just for good measure.
All the calves do get worked, but the cows don't unless need be....now if she is dangerous at all times now that's a different story.

If you read many of my post I do buy some cattle clean them up, turn them out let them calve then sell in the fall. Some of the ones I like to buy are ones that are a little on the wild side because a lot of the time, most of the time, they will calm down and be good cattle She never would calm and was becoming a problem with the other cows and calves because she would not go in the lot but try to run off a ways and take others with her. As for getting my cattle up I go to this pasture about once a week and when I do they always get a small treat ,cattle cubes, not a lot but it does not take a lot for them to learn to run to the corral when they see my pick up or hear my horn. so my cattle handle good I could take a feed sack and lead them any place I wanted them to go. You want to make wild cows that cant be worked with and does not want to go to the lot then every time you catch them in the lot do something to them to hurt them and it wont take long till they wont go to the lot. Also I cant stand a high headed cow or bull that stands around wanting to fight someone all the time, my 3 yr. old grandson goes with me some times and I have to have cattle that he can stand by my pick up while I feed and me not be concern that some ol high headed cow will go try to get him.

I remember years ago when I took over my uncles cattle. Back then he fed small squares in a bunk under a barn. I had a heifer I wanted to keep. After weaning sh got skiddish and wouldn’t let you get close. At the onset of winter feeding she wouldn’t come under the barn till I was gone. Took a while but before spring I could walk up beside her and she wouldn’t leave the bunk.

I’ll say some can be calmed down, but I’ve had many more get crazier as time goes on. Sold a 10 year old earlier this year for that reason.
1 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:49 am

1982vett wrote:
BRYANT wrote:
Banjo wrote:I was wondering why you have to get her up? Do you work your cows several times a year? I don't like wild cattle either..... but if one is raising a really good calf why not just let her go. I have some cows that haven't been worked since they were heifers....years.
Unless a cow has a specific health issue, she don't get run thru the chute just for good measure.
All the calves do get worked, but the cows don't unless need be....now if she is dangerous at all times now that's a different story.

If you read many of my post I do buy some cattle clean them up, turn them out let them calve then sell in the fall. Some of the ones I like to buy are ones that are a little on the wild side because a lot of the time, most of the time, they will calm down and be good cattle She never would calm and was becoming a problem with the other cows and calves because she would not go in the lot but try to run off a ways and take others with her. As for getting my cattle up I go to this pasture about once a week and when I do they always get a small treat ,cattle cubes, not a lot but it does not take a lot for them to learn to run to the corral when they see my pick up or hear my horn. so my cattle handle good I could take a feed sack and lead them any place I wanted them to go. You want to make wild cows that cant be worked with and does not want to go to the lot then every time you catch them in the lot do something to them to hurt them and it wont take long till they wont go to the lot. Also I cant stand a high headed cow or bull that stands around wanting to fight someone all the time, my 3 yr. old grandson goes with me some times and I have to have cattle that he can stand by my pick up while I feed and me not be concern that some ol high headed cow will go try to get him.

I remember years ago when I took over my uncles cattle. Back then he fed small squares in a bunk under a barn. I had a heifer I wanted to keep. After weaning sh got skiddish and wouldn’t let you get close. At the onset of winter feeding she wouldn’t come under the barn till I was gone. Took a while but before spring I could walk up beside her and she wouldn’t leave the bunk. One of the reasons I pen replacements And feed for a couple weeks before turning out to pasture.

I’ll say some can be calmed down, but I’ve had many more get crazier as time goes on. Sold a 10 year old earlier this year for that reason.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:04 pm

I got one that I'm taking to slaughter soon. She's been on the trailer once as a calf, and never since. She's calmed down a lot, so I'm hoping it's run in her real quick one time and be done with it. I think if she gets halfway on and then backs out it could be bad.
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:21 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:I got one that I'm taking to slaughter soon. She's been on the trailer once as a calf, and never since. She's calmed down a lot, so I'm hoping it's run in her real quick one time and be done with it. I think if she gets halfway on and then backs out it could be bad.

That is where a hot shot is really valuable.
2 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:11 pm

I had one a couple weeks back like that. Not mean in any sense, just a flighty high headed old gal that was always eyeballing the pens for a place to jump. I have had a couple in the past and have learned to get everything ready before engaging the animal but once you do, get them moving and don't let them slow down. Run behind a hooping and a hollering to keep them going.

A big trailer with slam type doors helps. We called this old girl racehorse and she was actually funny to watch. When the herd would move to a new pasture she would hang back waiting to pick her spot and the it was a full throttle run like a quarterhorse coming out ofg the starting gate. I really hated to see her go as she was the herd watchdog but she was getting old and had a prolapse that was going in and out. She brought .46/lb
0 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:01 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:I got one that I'm taking to slaughter soon. She's been on the trailer once as a calf, and never since. She's calmed down a lot, so I'm hoping it's run in her real quick one time and be done with it. I think if she gets halfway on and then backs out it could be bad.

If you have butterfly gates I would just open one or run another calm one in with her put them in front of trailer then cut the calm one out.
Good luck
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:21 am

BRYANT wrote:

If you have butterfly gates I would just open one or run another calm one in with her put them in front of trailer then cut the calm one out.
Good luck

Thanks, but we've got just a big door in the back. The problem is with her is that she is the most timid one I've got, and there's a pushy one that will push her out of the way. I think I've got a way to use that my advantage, but you never know until you load them up. The good thing is, though, that she's calmed down a lot since having a calf.
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:15 pm

Here's one that was docile until she was in the trailer.. she just about tore the dang thing apart.. before I could get that 2x4 across there she'd tried jumping out and I was beating her nose to get her back in, then it was around and around, stick the nose through the window, around and around.. for 4 hours.
Her butt was completely naked by the time she got to the sale barn
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:24 am

i had one i bought at the barn.. let her out and she ran a country mile or 2, swam across a large pond and kept going!

Ended up at the corner of the property.. she took off after me like a crazy bear@! I was off my quad and she ran me around that thing probabl a dozen times.

then she just went full crazy and rammed the quad over and over almost flipped it til she saw me again and start runnin circles. Stil have a huge dent in the plastic from her.

finally got the quad started while running circles.. got her in gear..

made the leap while runnin and hit that throttle hard. she ran after me for a while.. haha

ended up jumping a fence, went to the neighbors woods and had a calf. neighbor ended up getting her up when his cows came.. had her in his system in the barn.. she was kickin her legs like a buckin bull. rammin the gates.. just plain CRAZY. she wanted to KILL us.

he said.. thats the craziest one i've ever seen.

loaded her up, took her to the sale.

i told the boys at the barn.. SHE"S PLAIN CRAZY BOYS>> BE CAREFUL! "YEA YEA" didn't head my warnin. . about 5 of em stood in the isles.. the 2 near the loadout opened the doors while i stayed away..

HERE SHE COMES! BOOOM.. she went RIGHT after them.. they jumped up on the gates faster then a fly. hollered to the other guys down the way.. WATCH OUT SHE"S NUTS! they jumped too..

she ran up and down just wanting to kill something. ramming the gates..

I looked at them and said.. I TOLD YA!

anyway.. she ran out to the buyer ring.. walked out nice and calm lookin up at the lights.. just standing there lookin at the lights in awe.. just loved the lights.. nice calf at her side.. they looked REAL GOOD..

WHOLE BUNCH of em were biddin on her.. boy ol boy.. bet they had fun with her.

had the cow on my place 1 day.. ended up clearing around 600 profit on her.
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”