Fall Calf Run Away?

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Re: Fall Calf Run Away?

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:33 pm

Till-Hill wrote:With this current market I shouldn't be buying any open heifers but I've raised the boss' cows for 2-4 generations and know who they are and kind of cows they will be. I'm going to buy 5-6 of them off market price.

Seeing more heifer retention here. I think it is partially due to low grain prices. Expecting local corn below U$S 2.50 at harvest. So open heifers may be a little higher and feed may be a little lower this fall...
1 x
Stocker Steve

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:59 pm

Well, I sat at the sale barn last Friday for several hours. Only about 800 head, partially due to the wet conditions I think. Some people cannot get in and out of fields. The steers were all over the place. Most were in the $1.25 to 1.65 range, with the majority of the decent and nice ones bringing 1.40 to 1.60; and the 6-7 wts were nearly as high as the smaller 3-5 wts. One of the guys told me there are not alot of "yearlings" around, 6-7 wts, so the buyers are needing them. I can see that, because cattle sale numbers have been more consistent over the past year rather than the big gluts in the spring and the fall. I saw a few nice herefords and red ones bring under 1.00. They really hate them around here. It's ridiculous.
The heifers were a little closer priced, 1.20 to 1.40 for most from 350 to 700 lbs. And the red and hereford and char heifers don't get discounted as much as they will produce mostly black or smokey calves bred to black bulls. I imagine they were mostly going somewhere to be retained as replacements. Didn't stay for the cull cows or bulls, but the previous week they were in the .40-.60's for the cows and .75 - .90 for the bulls.
Supposed to clear off a little by Wed aft and be dry after Friday, but we had 1.9 inches Sat night and some sprinkles and misty stuff today and supposed to get some more tonight and again on Wed. It is wet and there was some flooding again. My son had to work VDOT all day Sunday cleaning up from the rain all Sat night.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:48 am

The reports from the three closest sales all with well over 1,000 head list 500-600 weight steers at $1.58 -1.62, $1.49-1.69, & $1.60-1.75. The same size heifers at $1.49=1.52, $1.28-1.44, & $1.20-1.60. Interesting the one with the lowest price on steers has the highest price on heifers. The third one has the highest price steers. I don't entirely trust their report. The first one is a USDA report. The next two are self reported.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:19 am

farmerjan wrote:Didn't stay for the cull cows or bulls, but the previous week they were in the .40-.60's for the cows and .75 - .90 for the bulls.

Our cull market really dropped. Most cows .37 to .65. There will be some cheap old breds this fall.

I thought the big cow kill would end with rains in the south?
0 x
Stocker Steve

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:21 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
farmerjan wrote:Didn't stay for the cull cows or bulls, but the previous week they were in the .40-.60's for the cows and .75 - .90 for the bulls.

Our cull market really dropped. Most cows .37 to .65. There will be some cheap old breds this fall.

The cull cow market dropped because of the hurricane. It almost stopped all slaughter which put way too many cows to the slaughterhouses outside of the flooded areas. Few cows were over .50 this weekend. I bought a few thin open cows to turn out for a while and then sell before December.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:30 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:

Cull market hear is awful too. Takes a dang good one to make it to .50. I’ve got a few that have to go to town. But the ones that are still breeding and holding condition but raise an average or slightly below average calf are gonna get to have one more here. I ain’t gonna haul the cows to them AND give them to em too!
1 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

LDEnterprises
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LDEnterprises » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:44 am

Sale results from yesterday. Our high 6 weight steers went $1.55 and high 6 weight heifers went $1.32. Still fairly good IMHO.

1 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:01 pm

Cull cow market dropped way off here too. Not only the glut at places due to the hurricane, but also from more dairy cows as farms are selling out. Might be a month before we see prices come back up, if they do, but it takes a REAL GOOD one to hit $.50 they say.

Hauled 9 steers in the 350 to 6 wts most were 5-6 and then I took 8 heifers in most were 5 wts. One bigger open heifer that had aborted once, then rechecked preg and no calf again when she was supposed to have it, and I didn't feel one in her last night so she went. Don't know her weight, she went with the steer load early. I'll know more when we get the check. We had a couple inches rain in the last 48 hours so the numbers were way down because many still cannot get into fields to get cattle out. Don't know if that will help prices or not. I had alot of catching up today so couldn't stay.
0 x

MtnCows93
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MtnCows93 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:52 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
farmerjan wrote:Why keep a decent but not super duper, heifer at 550 lbs, worth about $6-700 and feed for another 2 years to sell a calf off her when we can buy some breds for $8-1,000 and have a calf to sell in the spring? Some won't be great calves, but at $1.00 lb as a low for these heifers, that's $550 value. Another 18 months before you even get a calf on the ground is another $5-600 in her, then another 7 months to wean the calf so another $300. If I buy some breds at $900 and sell calves off them in 7 months, I am a year ahead of the timeline. Granted, there is no guarantee the calves will be good, and there will be some salvage value to the cow if I don't like her or the calf.
It is a bit of a trade off, but I think we would do better to not be feeding a growing weaned heifer through the winter with greater nutritional needs. Granted we will keep the heifers we really like and feed, but it may be a smaller group than originally thought.

It is helpful that some cattlemen are not good at math. Otherwise no one would retain heifers, and we would go out of business. :nod:

Three potential reasons to retain now:
1) Really special cattle. Mine are not.
2) Rising market. Perhaps, but it is likely that we are a little early. Fall of 2019 or 2020 should be better.
3) Return per acre. We are running a bred heifer on 0.9 acres, and and a pair here takes 40 to 60% more. :cowboy:

Proof you need smaller cows :hide:
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:58 pm

Yes. I did not buy a bull from Kit yet, but I have an OCC bull on my heifers, and I sell off the big bred heifer cut, retaining the small(er) ones..
0 x
Stocker Steve

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:00 am

I don't keep heifers according to "size" so much as what I like to look at. They do tend to be the bigger ones as I feel they are better growers. I just look them over, see if there are any real negatives as far as the balance, and the shape. I want nice straight backs, no ewe necks, a heifer that walks well. AND she has to not be high strung and looking for a way out of the catch pen. Don't want one to be mopey, but she has to not look like she is ready to run for the next county.

We figure it takes 1 1/2 acres per cow calf pair. This year with all the rain, and grass it has been about 1 acre. We do not have huge cows, most are in the 1100 lb range when culled, but have had some as small as 950 that raise nice calves. A friend has 14-1600 lb cows. He has feet and leg and lameness troubles that we just don't have. His calves may wean 100 lbs more, but he usually keeps them longer so I can't say they are that much bigger. And he runs them @ about 2 acres per cow/calf pair.
1 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:44 pm

I have some of those 14-1600 lb. cows. Their calves do well back grounding, but I don't keep the heifers.
My small(er) cows are 12-1300 lbs..
0 x
Stocker Steve

Return to “Cattle Sales”