Baby calf prices

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Re: Baby calf prices

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:22 pm

Just need a time machine shaped like a calf crate ;-)
1 x
Stocker Steve

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:30 pm

farmerjan wrote:
GMN wrote:
BC wrote:I saw 2 fresh baby calves sell today at Van Zandt Livestock. One was started on a bottle and brought $585. The other had nursed a couple of times and brought $565.

Wish I lived by u-were those Holstein babies?

That post by BC was from 2015. You could get any price you wanted for about a year back then.

The calf buyers would say back then that if you could keep them alive they would make money.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:07 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
farmerjan wrote:
GMN wrote:
Wish I lived by u-were those Holstein babies?

That post by BC was from 2015. You could get any price you wanted for about a year back then.

The calf buyers would say back then that if you could keep them alive they would make money.

We had our sale this past Monday and there were newborn calves getting that price.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:20 pm

@NEFarmwife : are you saying that baby calves were bringing $500 at the stockyards? Like holstein bull calves? If that's the case, then there is something in the wind there that we don't know about here. The dairy farm situation is getting really tough here, milk prices are way down, and there will be more going out of business this year I know. I have seen some beef x dairy calves bring $200 or so; most of the time it is a beef farmer looking for a calf to graft back onto a cow that may have lost hers, so that they don't lose the lactation and the cow can go on and at least pay her way for the year and get bred back. But the average going price for a holstein bull calf , say 3-5 days old type, is $75 to $150 right now.
If there are too many dairies going out then the price of baby calves will go up as they are harder to find. But for now, with the cost of milk replacer, most dairies are actually taking milk out of the tank if they don't have enough waste milk, to feed their kept baby calves. I am feeding 3 on bottles and milk replacer adds up. I have 11 that are still on nurse cows so no extra milk there. I try to keep a few bottle calves around in case we lose one on a beef cow. This is our spring calving season, so it helps to have one that is a couple weeks old and knows what to do and I can get them grafted on a cow and it will go right on with her. Mostly I am getting heifer calves and then they will have a life here as a nurse cow or a beef cow. I try not to use a straight holstein bull calf if I have a choice because holstein feeders @ 3-500 lbs are not bringing $.80 a lb. The crosses will bring in the $1.00 or more range even if they look like they have some dairy in them.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:49 am

farmerjan wrote:@NEFarmwife : are you saying that baby calves were bringing $500 at the stockyards? Like holstein bull calves? If that's the case, then there is something in the wind there that we don't know about here. The dairy farm situation is getting really tough here, milk prices are way down, and there will be more going out of business this year I know. I have seen some beef x dairy calves bring $200 or so; most of the time it is a beef farmer looking for a calf to graft back onto a cow that may have lost hers, so that they don't lose the lactation and the cow can go on and at least pay her way for the year and get bred back. But the average going price for a holstein bull calf , say 3-5 days old type, is $75 to $150 right now.
If there are too many dairies going out then the price of baby calves will go up as they are harder to find. But for now, with the cost of milk replacer, most dairies are actually taking milk out of the tank if they don't have enough waste milk, to feed their kept baby calves. I am feeding 3 on bottles and milk replacer adds up. I have 11 that are still on nurse cows so no extra milk there. I try to keep a few bottle calves around in case we lose one on a beef cow. This is our spring calving season, so it helps to have one that is a couple weeks old and knows what to do and I can get them grafted on a cow and it will go right on with her. Mostly I am getting heifer calves and then they will have a life here as a nurse cow or a beef cow. I try not to use a straight holstein bull calf if I have a choice because holstein feeders @ 3-500 lbs are not bringing $.80 a lb. The crosses will bring in the $1.00 or more range even if they look like they have some dairy in them.

No idea on Holstein, I don’t see much of that at all around here. These were angus or sim. Bottle calves. I know even dairy’s posting in my cattle groups locally that went from selling their steers for cheap and seeing them selling for way more than they’re worth now.

We didn’t have any calves for sale but sold 19 pairs that did extremely well too. We joked that we should have sold their mommas open and calves seperately for the prices they fetched.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Thu May 17, 2018 12:36 pm

stocky wrote:I have been seeing avg to better than average holstein bulls 1-3 days old from 420-440 dollars each.
Saw some baby jersey bulls weighing around 30 lbs bring 235 today.

On the beef calves, I have been paying 600-650 for 2-5 week old beef calves fresh off the cow
Today, I bought the first calf, a dandy month old calf for 600,
then they had about a dozen 1-5 day old various beef calves, all weak and sick looking, brought from 435-590.

Then the next sale barn, the weak and sick looking 1-5 day olds brought from 375 to 590
I paid 620 for an outstanding black bull about 4 weeks old.
(MARCH 2015)

Oh for the good ole days.
But stocky ain't been around for about 18 months.... back when prices tumbled.
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”