how to calm down a hyper steer

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
showme
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby showme » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:56 pm

certherfbeef wrote:
SCfarms wrote:They drug them up for the sales I know I helped work at a few sales. They give them this drug to put them in shock and it makes them calm. Oh one more thing these are not race horses they are not tested after each race(show).

show steers have blood pulled after the show.

How would you feel if you went to a sale, bought a couple heifers that were loaded with melatonin, got them home. Next day they tore the barn up cause they were physco.

Let me tell you something about Physco it happened to me before. It was my first show heifer we bought. You could tell she was druged up because I walked her at the sale and she did fine. Didnt trying anything. My dad gave $2100 for her. We got home turned her in the corral. 2 days later when we went to put that halter on her. Broke my nose kicking like she never had a halter on. You walk in the pen with her running in circles trying to jump fences. We even gave her to 3 different people that break calves to break her. We told him the story and he said she was probly druged up. So dont tell me how big ranches dont do that to there show heifer before a sale. I know a few others that happen to.
0 x

cattlemom
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cattlemom » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:45 pm

I don't think anyone was trying to say that it doesn't happen. You were just sounding like you were advocating it....

I have to say that most of the people we've ever bought cattle from are pretty up front about personality - they aren't in this for one year & they know we won't be back (or anyone else we know) the next year if they pull something that gets one of our kids hurt.
0 x

cowspider
Rancher
Rancher

Postby cowspider » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:23 pm

If I bought a heifer that was drugged, I would tell the world who this seller was and not to by from them. this is very unprofessional and wrong. I had a mule that was drugged to a teddy bear until the next day then he was uncatchable.
:mad: :mad: :mad:
0 x
"GET-ER DONE"

ollie
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ollie » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:34 pm

If you call a man a crook you better be able to draw blood and prove it. I have seen many a decent heifer ruined by their first exposure to a different farm. Some kids go to the next state or two with their parents, truck them by theirself , dump them in a lot that is two or three acres then they get ran all the next day by the son/daughter and a few friends trying to halter them. Etc.etc.etc. Stupidity sometimes isn't only genetic with the heifer, sometimes it is also very well ingrained in the owner.
0 x

cattlemom
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cattlemom » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:41 pm

Ollie I have to agree with you completely!! I guess I didn't think about that angle.... I was just speaking from personal experience - if I'm going to spend money on one it's going to get treated right - maybe even spoiled a little!!
0 x

SF
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SF » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:44 pm

Don't know about all farms but it appears that SCFarms openly admits to being crooked. Always bragging about the next angle they can use or have used to gain an unfair advantage.

Just in case you haven't figured it out by now Stephen. It doesn't matter what the other folks are doing? What matters it what you are doing? If you win a show, but you are cheating to win, then what have you won. What do you prove by cheating to win? Not that your cattle are good, just that you are a cheater.

If you are showing your cattle, and if they are good, they will get noticed whether they win or not. Most of the folks there are honest people with integrity. It is the minority that are crooks. Crooked, unethical, dishonest actions will almost always hurt the person, organization, etc.... in the end. Most importantly it hurts the person who is doing it. Life is not about what you win, make, or have. Life is about what you do for others, the example you set, your integrity, about doing the right thing, even when it is difficult to do.

I sincerely hope that most of your posts are just BS and you do not actually believe or act in such a dishonest and unethical manner. If you do, rest assured that this will come to haunt you one day. Hope you can live with yourself.

Have a nice day. Hope I've misunderstood you.
0 x

ollie
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ollie » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:52 pm

Maybe some people are fooled at shows but the breeders that pay attention know who are showing good stock and they know the counterfits. Those heifer calves slobbering like they are rabied with sleepy eyes and droopy ears don't go unnoticed. Those two year old bulls that couldn't walk or wouldn't walk the day before the show that now come charging into the ring like they are going to whip everybody don't go unnoticed. The overly thick bull with testicles 1/4 the size of his stall mates don't go unnoticed. Kids that have a predisposition to cheating will go unnoticed. They are as common as a cow track. There is no future in the industry for them. It isn't too late to change Stephen. Learn what seperates good stock from the common and good people from the common.
0 x

showme
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby showme » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:03 am

SF wrote:Don't know about all farms but it appears that SCFarms openly admits to being crooked. Always bragging about the next angle they can use or have used to gain an unfair advantage.

Just in case you haven't figured it out by now Stephen. It doesn't matter what the other folks are doing? What matters it what you are doing? If you win a show, but you are cheating to win, then what have you won. What do you prove by cheating to win? Not that your cattle are good, just that you are a cheater.

If you are showing your cattle, and if they are good, they will get noticed whether they win or not. Most of the folks there are honest people with integrity. It is the minority that are crooks. Crooked, unethical, dishonest actions will almost always hurt the person, organization, etc.... in the end. Most importantly it hurts the person who is doing it. Life is not about what you win, make, or have. Life is about what you do for others, the example you set, your integrity, about doing the right thing, even when it is difficult to do.

I sincerely hope that most of your posts are just BS and you do not actually believe or act in such a dishonest and unethical manner. If you do, rest assured that this will come to haunt you one day. Hope you can live with yourself.

My calves are gentle I dont have to use stuff like that. I am a little old and can tell from a nut case to getnle calves. I never in my 9 years of showing cattle had to use a drug to calm them down. Plus I dont cheat and dont need to cheat cause my calves are good enough to win fair in square. I was just suggesting it because I know people who drug there calves up just to break them. I have never druged my calves and any time you want you can come down take blood whatever you want to test them.
0 x

SF
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SF » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:21 am

SCfarms wrote:
SF wrote:Don't know about all farms but it appears that SCFarms openly admits to being crooked. Always bragging about the next angle they can use or have used to gain an unfair advantage.

My calves are gentle I dont have to use stuff like that. I am a little old and can tell from a nut case to getnle calves. I never in my 9 years of showing cattle had to use a drug to calm them down. Plus I dont cheat and dont need to cheat cause my calves are good enough to win fair in square. I was just suggesting it because I know people who drug there calves up just to break them. I have never druged my calves and any time you want you can come down take blood whatever you want to test them.

Good, I'm glad you don't do those things. Since you don't do them, why not stop advocating them to others. The show ring and the world in general would be much better off if people would simply do the right thing. Why would I need or want to come and take blood tests from your cattle? If you say you don't, then that is good enough for me.

Good luck and have a nice day
0 x

showme
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby showme » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:00 am

Just say if anyone of think that my cattle are druged any day of the week fill free to come get a blood samply are any of sample.
0 x

memanpa
Rancher
Rancher

Postby memanpa » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:55 pm

does any one know what scfarms just said???? :oops: i am confused but then what is new concerning me :oops:
0 x
mema "n" pa's place

eat more beef!

kaneranch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby kaneranch » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:48 pm

I just wouldn't want an animal that was going to go crazy being attached to my name. Alot of people that show take it pretty seriously and they will sure as H@!! give you a bad name in a matter of weeks. In my oppinion you will lose money in the long run. Thanks Matthew Kane
Last edited by kaneranch on Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

SF
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SF » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:54 pm

SCfarms wrote:

Prior posts within this thread

SCfarms wrote:At some of the show heifer sales the ranch manager drugs them up because of all the people and noise. Calf Calm its a waste of money it does not work that good. I have no clue how to spell the name I know it start with a M. That stuff works I can get the name exactly if you want it. Thats what most of the big ranches use. I tryed it a time are to and it works.

I went back and re-read this thread. Guess I missed this earlier. Which is it Stephen. Do you use tranquilizers, drugs, or not?

This is the credibility problem that has been referenced towards some of your posts Stephen. Make up your mind. Do you drug your calves or not? You seem to contradict yourself on a regular basis. Really too bad. I think you are a young person that could have great potential.
0 x

cowspider
Rancher
Rancher

Postby cowspider » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:21 am

SC Farms wrote:

I tryed it a time are to and it works.

What doe's that say?? :oops: make up your mind, or are you sniffing the ground. :?: :lol:
0 x
"GET-ER DONE"

showme
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby showme » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:51 pm

The nut case calf we bought when I was younger we gave her to a guy and he used drugs on her just to break her. Not for any other reason. Like I said my farm is open to anyone who wants to take a blood sample from any of my show calves. I know of people who use it and it worked.
0 x

Return to “Show Board”