Grand Champion Steer

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
JHH
GURU
GURU

Postby JHH » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:10 am

Our steer show is on weight not breed also.Daughter wants to show crossbred steer next year.Weigh in is in Feb for the rate of gain contest.She does not have to sell steer can get premium only.Grand champion brought $2200.00 here at 4-h fair.That was total premium plus the market value.
The county next to us has show and they have an on the rail class also,judge said he wanted to no where the steer that won was when he judged them?He placed it last in class on foot. :shock:
Our county fair has open show and jackpot steer also that the 4-H kids can and usually do participate in at the same time of reg 4-H show makes things interesting.
Daughter had only hereford at the fair for 4-H.Had grand champion hereford heifer :D Everthing around here has black hide and only had a couple char X in steer show for 4-H. Where are we headed with this black hide thing?JHH
0 x

JHH
GURU
GURU

Postby JHH » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:13 am

Sorry congrats on steers!JHH
0 x

madbeancounter1
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby madbeancounter1 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:40 am

JHH - Congrats on the heifer...

Washington Co had a few different breed crosses represented across the classes but by and large everything had a black hide. This is my daughter's first year to show in Benton Co. I don't know the competition here very well yet so I am not sure what to expect. Cattlemom wrote earlier that there were only about 40 animals entered over all.

When we live up in the land of Ice and Snow there were at least 150 animals over all.

As for the black ones... I have 'em too but like so many have said, once the hide's off you can't tell a difference without genetic testing. I think maybe worse than that is the fact that if we keep up the pattern there won't be any need for genetic testing since it'll all be one big pool. JMO

I guess I just made a hypocrit of myself since the commercial stuff we are raising is mostly black hided Maine Angus. The registered stuff is MG... interesting how not all of them are actually grey either. The first heifer we got had a black hided purebred MG daddy, mama was grey. She started out dark grey but has migrated toward a dun color.
0 x
"... Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't."

Terry

madbeancounter1
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby madbeancounter1 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:02 pm

Ollie...

Judge was Wes Hudson
0 x
"... Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't."

Terry

ollie
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ollie » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:06 pm

Mr. Hudson is a good hand at sorting them. Congratulations again.
0 x
I head North to seek out a man that some say can explain to me the brotherhood of the apostrophe.

cattlemom
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cattlemom » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:22 pm

madbeancounter, on the numbers for the Benton County Fair - there are 40 steers entered. There will be many, many heifers entered - sorry I wasn't clear on that. Not being negative at all, but I think quality wise our fair will be 5x what Washington County was. At one time I had written down what all Benton County won at the state fair last year & it was incredible. We've got some really competitive people that go at it hard - & a few that have some money to spend too. This year should be very interesting - I'm excited!! Now with the quality thing said - I think either of Garrett's steers would've competed very well in our county & I know he'll do great at the other fairs. I'm sorry to hear that the auction did not go so well for him! I don't doubt that some of the lambs brought more - there are some well connected people in that lamb barn - as well as some very good lambs!!! I can't remember for sure what our Grand Champion steer brought last year - I think it was around $5 per lb - the county bred steer brought almost as much.

Wes Hudson is one of my favorite people in the show business!! He does a great job sorting, talking & working with the kids. And those Herefords he raises - WOW!!
0 x

madbeancounter1
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby madbeancounter1 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:52 pm

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Back north it used to be the other way around. Everyone was showing steers because they didn't run heifers through the sale ring. But that was a long time ago.

I was talking to Don earlier and he told me I was all wet on the numbers. Hey what do I know. I don't know unless I am told and most of the time that doesn't work anymore either! :oops: Got to make sure I am looking at you when you talk... otherwise you have to hit me with a 2x4 to make sure you have my attention.

As for Wes Hudson... I was sure impressed with the way he sorted but even more so with the way he handled the kids. Talk about personality. Couldn't understand a word he said about the animals (my hearing aids don't like wide open spaces as much as I do)

Well, no matter what it'll be a learning experience for us. Looking forward to it.
0 x

Terry

Return to “Show Board”