Correlation?

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
TheBullLady
GURU
GURU

Correlation?

Postby TheBullLady » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:58 pm

I've got two similar in age Simmental heifers. One is clean fronted, long backed, great top line, great legged, but not as thick as what they judges like now.

The second one is very deep sided, good spring of rib, great topline, meat wagon. Not as correct on her back legs (more angle in her hocks) and is not clean in the front. As they are gaining more weight, the second heifer is beginning to develop a brisket as well.

My question is.. do you see a correlation in these two different "types"? The leaner heifer having better lines and front, the meatier heifer being.. well, meatier, but with a brisket! If you were judging, which type would you prefer?
0 x

Southerngal
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Southerngal » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:35 am

I would say that it all depended on who was the judge. Last yr dght had a more production looking hiefer, At the all the jackpots shows we went to we were not dead last but werent far from it. All the judges talked about how she needed a cleaner front end on her. Everything else was fine Judges even said she would be the one to make the cow. Then we get to state and get 4th out of 14. the ones that had been womping our tails were behind us. You just never know
0 x

txshowmom
GURU
GURU

Postby txshowmom » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:57 pm

We have had cattle like that too. Its been my experience that the second one will make a better cow. They tend to be easy keepers and survive on less when thay have to. She may be developing a brisket because she is eating more than she need- getting fat. Good Luck.
0 x
Thank God for the rain, the grass looks great!

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:59 am

Unlike most cattle owners, you did an excellent job describing your heifers ( I already checked out the photos). This is one of those cases that you would love to blend two to make one.
Yes, you can make sure the heavy set heifer keeps her head up, but structure is #1 in criteria. I for one, would go for the cleaner made female. After all, they are breeding FEMALES, not steers. SOME judges might use the heavier one over the feminine one, but I don't think most would. If you can get more gut on the more feminine heifer, she would be competitive (by the profile shots).
All in all, nice Simmental heifers. I'm just real picky about them staying more feminine. I have all shapes, colors & sizes in my herd, but they are feminine with tons of guts.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

showme
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby showme » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:51 pm

Yea post some pics of them on profile, hine and front then we can determine.
0 x

Return to “Show Board”