What's Involved?

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
tapeworm
Rancher
Rancher

Postby tapeworm » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:53 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote: Let's face it, when you're getting ready to go to a Prom - you get your hair clipped/styled (even the guys), and wear special new cloths. People will be seeing you compared to others that are "well dressed".

Well I never went to a "prom" so I dont know. But it sounds like youre saying you do it because everybody else does it. Either that or else the reason lots of folks dress up fancy. So others will think that they're something that they're not. LOL
Hehehe. On second thought I guess that last part sums up the showcow world pretty good doesnt it :lol:

And for all of you that say just dont participate if you dont want to I have a thought for you..... All of us that pay schooltaxes and county taxes that keep the wheels greased in education dont have any choice.....we're paying for some of that stuff anyway with county agents that spend more time at shows than out on the farm and overpaid ag teachers and their 4 door duallys, credit cards and aluminum trailers and.....the list goes on.
Okay...end of my griping. :lol: Theres a lot worse things for kids to be involved in
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:12 am

certherfbeef wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote: But we usually add a rag oil treatment after the windshield wash.

Another option instead of the windshield fluid is bay rum. Get it at sullivan's. Serves the same purpose just smells "pretty"

We use Bay Rum also. DOES smell great. But we use it as a light pop & set, just before walking in the ring - never as a wash.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

fellersbarnoneranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby fellersbarnoneranch » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:42 am

Excuse me, folks...just wondering what products/remedies you use or have heard of for white on cattle. Not to cover but to brighten. (curious for a couple of our mares) Thank you!
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:01 am

fellersbarnoneranch wrote:Excuse me, folks...just wondering what products/remedies you use or have heard of for white on cattle. Not to cover but to brighten. (curious for a couple of our mares) Thank you!

Sullivan's Shimmer Lights - but I go to a Beauty Salon supply place, and tell the gal what I need - get the cheapest whitener/brightener, makes the white glisten. Takes about two good scrubbings at each show, but well worth it, hair sparkles :lol: Lots cheaper than cattle products sold.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:09 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:We use Bay Rum also. DOES smell great.

I thought Bay Rum was an aftershave that you could drink

dun
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:14 am

Yeah, you're right & boy does it turn heads - smells great!!
0 x

D.R. Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby D.R. Cattle » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:26 am

dun wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:We use Bay Rum also. DOES smell great.

I thought Bay Rum was an aftershave that you could drink

dun

Sounds like something I'd mix with coke and ice in a glass, while enjoying a good cigar.
0 x
-Annoy a liberal; work, succeed and be happy.
-Eat more beef.

CKC1586
GURU
GURU

Postby CKC1586 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:38 am

[q - but I go to a Beauty Salon supply place, and tell the gal what I need - get the cheapest whitener/brightener, makes the white glisten. Takes about two good scrubbings at each show, but well worth it, hair sparkles :lol: Lots cheaper than cattle products sold.[/quote]

What is the name of the product you purchase from the salon??
0 x

txshowmom
GURU
GURU

Postby txshowmom » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:35 am

tapeworm wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote: Let's face it, when you're getting ready to go to a Prom - you get your hair clipped/styled (even the guys), and wear special new cloths. People will be seeing you compared to others that are "well dressed".

Well I never went to a "prom" so I dont know. But it sounds like youre saying you do it because everybody else does it. Either that or else the reason lots of folks dress up fancy. So others will think that they're something that they're not. LOL
Hehehe. On second thought I guess that last part sums up the showcow world pretty good doesnt it :lol:

And for all of you that say just dont participate if you dont want to I have a thought for you..... All of us that pay schooltaxes and county taxes that keep the wheels greased in education dont have any choice.....we're paying for some of that stuff anyway with county agents that spend more time at shows than out on the farm and overpaid ag teachers and their 4 door duallys, credit cards and aluminum trailers and.....the list goes on.
Okay...end of my griping. :lol: Theres a lot worse things for kids to be involved in

I have been quiet for awhile now but this comment really struck a nerve with me. We have show all over the United Startes and we have NEVER has an ag teacher or county agent do one thing for us. We haul our own and take care of all the work ourselves. They have never even been to a show to watch us other than our county fair! The only time our county agent and ag teachjers are involved with what we do is when they have to send in entries (that WE pay for) for the major shows! There are some county agents and ag teachers that gothelp the kids but NOT ALL!
0 x
Thank God for the rain, the grass looks great!

AAOK
Rancher
Rancher

Postby AAOK » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:14 pm

This one kind of got to me too, but for slightly different reasons. Unless you have ever been on a school board, you probably don't realize that 98% of a school budget goes to salaries. And I don't think there are many well informed people that don't believe ALL teachers are way under paid. In Oklahoma, most Ag trucks are driven until they fall apart. Those fancy Aluminum trailers are bought be the Booster club, and only used for county activities 99.9% of the time. As for the county agents, they make less money than a teacher, and spend most of their time helping the folks inside the larger communities grow their gardens, prune their trees, and keep their lawns nice and green. Their show involvement is limited to the County Fair, and even then, most of theit work is in the management and marketing. If we got as good a deal with all our taxes as we do supporting education and extension, I would almost offer to pay more....NOT!!!
txshowmom wrote:
tapeworm wrote:

I have been quiet for awhile now but this comment really struck a nerve with me. We have show all over the United Startes and we have NEVER has an ag teacher or county agent do one thing for us. We haul our own and take care of all the work ourselves. They have never even been to a show to watch us other than our county fair! The only time our county agent and ag teachjers are involved with what we do is when they have to send in entries (that WE pay for) for the major shows! There are some county agents and ag teachers that gothelp the kids but NOT ALL!
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:09 pm

Tapeworm said:
Theres a lot worse things for kids to be involved in

Excuse me - You went a little over the top with this statement. Maybe you didn't mean it the way it came out.
Juniors involved in showing cattle are much better people for the experience they get from their projects. I have never met more well-rounded, responsible kids. I would turn your statement around and say there few BETTER things for kids to be involved in :P
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:12 pm

CKC1586 wrote:[q - but I go to a Beauty Salon supply place, and tell the gal what I need - get the cheapest whitener/brightener, makes the white glisten. Takes about two good scrubbings at each show, but well worth it, hair sparkles :lol: Lots cheaper than cattle products sold.

What is the name of the product you purchase from the salon??[/quote]

Sorry, without digging thru our show supplies that are put away, I can't say. Usually a different brand name each time I buy. It's always a blue/purple shampoo for white hair, but it always says it will whiten & brighten. Like I said, if you tell them what you are going to use it on, they'll know what you want, & tell them you want the cheapest product.
Sorry, I couldn't help more.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:27 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Tapeworm said:

Excuse me - You went a little over the top with this statement. Maybe you didn't mean it the way it came out.
Juniors involved in showing cattle are much better people for the experience they get from their projects. I have never met more well-rounded, responsible kids. I would turn your statement around and say there few BETTER things for kids to be involved in :P

In a bassackwards way you're saying the same thing.

dun
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:35 pm

dun wrote:

Juniors involved in showing cattle are much better people for the experience they get from their projects. I have never met more well-rounded, responsible kids. I would turn your statement around and say there are few BETTER things for kids to be involved in :P

In a bassackwards way you're saying the same thing.

dun

Yeah, but I didn't like the way he sait it! :lol:
0 x

tapeworm
Rancher
Rancher

Postby tapeworm » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:52 am

I cant believe you get upset about that. I said theres a lot worse things for kids to be involved in than showing cattle....that made you mad????? I can hable poquito with some of the hands around here....but there must be a language barrier between us out here in cow country and you folks in New York City
0 x

Return to “Show Board”