Custom Hay work

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Re: Custom Hay work

Postby pricefarm » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:01 pm

hillbilly beef man wrote:Price, what size bales and have you weighed any to be sure how much hay is in them? 6-700 lb 4x4s you are about right on price. 900-1000 lb 4x5s you are about $5 a bale too cheap.

I roll a 4x5 roll. I haven't weight them but they are nice tight rolls.
0 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:10 pm

I think 18 is about right , wrapped with twine , add 2 bucks if using net. The last i hired out was 21, but 4x6, net, and that was a couple of years ago .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:21 pm

Most of the folks going 4x5 here are baling down in wet meadows and floating bogs.
Why the focus on small 4x5 bales? More bales per acre?
0 x
Stocker Steve

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 5S Cattle » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:37 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:Most of the folks going 4x5 here are baling down in wet meadows and floating bogs.

Around here, the weekend warriors and their 30 hp tractors can't handle big bales for their longhorn cows and their alpacas.
1 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:38 am

5S Cattle wrote: Around here, the weekend warriors and their 30 hp tractors can't handle big bales for their longhorn cows and their alpacas.

Thanks. A big cow like some of mine, would eat one of those alpaca bales in a couple days. :cowboy:
0 x
Stocker Steve

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:52 am

M-5 wrote:
pricefarm wrote:
M-5 wrote:I did a little math and here is what I come up with. I based it off of 20acres of good quality grass and 10.00 hr labor
5 hrs to mow 50.00
ted twice 2.85hr x2 57.00
Rake 1.5hrs 15.00
Bale 3 hrs 30.00
fuel 45 gal 90.00
2 rolls twine 30.00
--------------------------------------
total 272.00
3 bales acre 60 rolls 4.533 dollars cost per roll

I Deprecation and other cost could be figured in and 20bucks a roll is doable IMO

Who works for 10$ a hour ?

lots of folks we are talking about driving a tractor not brain surgery.

Another case of you get what you pay for. $10 an hour hired guys won't check oils, grease, not watch temperature gauge, etc. Hired workers are bad enough about not caring about equipment - even worse when you jew them on the wage. No farm worker around here for less than $20 US, and the guys that are serious about quality help pay $30 and up.
1 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

kilroy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby kilroy60 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:36 am

I had two different people last year to roll for me. I cut, tedded and raked. The first person cost me $10 per roll. Later on the next cutting I had, I done the same thing and the other person only charged me $5 per roll. Neither was net wrapped. Both were 4 X 5 rolls. The $5 roll was a better roll than the $10 roll (tighter, bigger). Personally, I can buy hay all day long for $20 per roll and it's good hay and net wrapped. I'm seriously looking at having my hay cut on a percentage basis due to the cost factor of someone else doing it.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:14 am

Every different region has pay rates relative to their local economy. My example was for 20 acres . If a guy needs to hire help to do that 20 he has bigger problems. Here there are still people making min wage for part time work . The 10 bucks hr is what I pay to have a guy rake a few hours or what I charge for my labor. A person can assign any value they want so you can puff out your chest and brag. At the end of the day a roll of hay will only bring what the market will bear.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:20 am

I have people come out here all the time that want to help for free. they just want to be out in the country and be away. I know a guy who has a doctor come out and help him all the time for free, just to get away from his job and patients.

I can post a CL ad and in 30 minutes have 10 people ready to work for 8 bucks an hour.. and a few of those will be good..
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:22 am

Aaron wrote:No farm worker around here for less than $20 US, and the guys that are serious about quality help pay $30 and up.

Must be more to this.
For U$S20/hr and a walleye dinner most nights - - how do you avoid being overrun with migrant workers?
0 x
Stocker Steve

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:52 am

ddd75 wrote:I have people come out here all the time that want to help for free. they just want to be out in the country and be away. I know a guy who has a doctor come out and help him all the time for free, just to get away from his job and patients.

I can post a CL ad and in 30 minutes have 10 people ready to work for 8 bucks an hour.. and a few of those will be good..

I can get some raking help if needed from several people in exchange for a few rolls of hay .
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:47 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
Aaron wrote:No farm worker around here for less than $20 US, and the guys that are serious about quality help pay $30 and up.

Must be more to this.
For U$S20/hr and a walleye dinner most nights - - how do you avoid being overrun with migrant workers?

Very few positions advertised, mainly word of mouth. White, English-speaking farm kids need only apply. ;-) And they will work you to the bone doing one task. One guy patched fences everyday for 2 years - no new fence, just patching the most rusted out junk possible and breaking it somewhere else while stretching. Another position was track-tractor operator cultivating fields, 12-16 hours a day, 6 days a week from April till freeze-up.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:01 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:Most of the folks going 4x5 here are baling down in wet meadows and floating bogs.

5 foot wide bales are too wide to haul double on a trailer, some of the dot officers are now saying that is the wide load is divisible then it needs to be broken down. So that limits you to 4' wide bales. I custom bale a lot of silage and the customer wraps his own and 5' diameter bales fit best through his tube wrapper, and a 4x5 at 60% moisture is plenty heavy for most people to handle.
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:30 pm

M-5 wrote:
ddd75 wrote:I have people come out here all the time that want to help for free. they just want to be out in the country and be away. I know a guy who has a doctor come out and help him all the time for free, just to get away from his job and patients.

I can get some raking help if needed from several people in exchange for a few rolls of hay .

My raker cost me dearly, but she is a good cook.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:12 am

$20 a roll last time. $10 just for baling. I can make better than 10 an hour at any plant in town and not use my equipment. And at 5 a roll I can't imagine the guy making any money.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”