Storing Round Bales Outside

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
User avatar
jltrent
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3114
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 pm
Has thanked: 215 times
Been thanked: 215 times

Re: Storing Round Bales Outside

Post by jltrent » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:16 pm

Outside I push ends together and a couple feet between the round side of the rows.
Last edited by jltrent on Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.



kentuckyguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 362
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:06 am
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 67 times

Re: Storing Round Bales Outside

Post by kentuckyguy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:24 pm

Last year we had more hay than would fit in the barn.

I sit it up on 2 sycamore logs pushed together. Each roll was pushed up end to end as tight as I could get it. I fed most of that hay in December, and other than the outer 6” the bales looked freshly baled.

I had some other rolls that were baled a little wet I left a gap in. They pretty much were ruined from all the rain we had.

ValleyView
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 10:55 pm
Location: Winchester, Ok
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Storing Round Bales Outside

Post by ValleyView » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:18 pm

ValleyView wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:17 pm
Orientation of the rows (North/South vs West/East) etc, also comes into play.

According to one study (OK State) which I’ll try to find showed uncovered and stored hay in a North/South row molded less than hay stored in rows West/East.

Thought being, bales were exposed to more even sunlight throughout the day. This is how I store my hay.
Here’s the link to the article:

http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare ... 716web.pdf
First generation Brangus Cow Calf producer.

Easier to learn when you don’t know much!

VVCC

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24349
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 212 times
Been thanked: 628 times

Re: Storing Round Bales Outside

Post by Caustic Burno » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:34 pm

kentuckyguy wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:24 pm
Last year we had more hay than would fit in the barn.

I sit it up on 2 sycamore logs pushed together. Each roll was pushed up end to end as tight as I could get it. I fed most of that hay in December, and other than the outer 6” the bales looked freshly baled.

I had some other rolls that were baled a little wet I left a gap in. They pretty much were ruined from all the rain we had.

I don’t understand why we normally get 60” a year and got like 90” last year.
I didn’t see any difference from previous years. Only thing I could figure Bahia versus whatever grows in your neck of the woods,
My hay is net wrapped.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

kentuckyguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 362
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:06 am
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 67 times

Re: Storing Round Bales Outside

Post by kentuckyguy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:50 pm

CB mine was was just baled with sisal twine. We had so much rain that even the high spots stayed really wet.

The bales I got off the ground and shoved together did much better. The hay still even had good color on the insides of the bales.

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:40 pm
Location: Western UP, Mi
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: Storing Round Bales Outside

Post by chevytaHOE5674 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:47 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:56 pm
As tax crazy as they are going here I don’t that the barn is the best way.
If you pour a slab the counties eyes light up.
Figure that fancy baler you linked to cost over 100k new over double the cost of a very nice regular round baler. Add the cost of plastic at 6-8 dollars a bale that is just thrown in the trash when your done and after a few years of that wrapping a decent chunk of hay and you just made the payments on that building plus paid the taxes.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24349
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 212 times
Been thanked: 628 times

Re: Storing Round Bales Outside

Post by Caustic Burno » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:12 am

kentuckyguy wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:50 pm
CB mine was was just baled with sisal twine. We had so much rain that even the high spots stayed really wet.

The bales I got off the ground and shoved together did much better. The hay still even had good color on the insides of the bales.

You loose much more string wrapped versus net. Huge difference in how tight the roll is as well.
I had a Krone that made the best bales as far tightly wound closed drum versus belt. My Heston was the most reliable followed by Vermeer.
All three were string machines had I kept baleing I would have renewed with a net wrap.
Lot of people here buy the cheap plastic sheeting to cover their hay.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24349
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 212 times
Been thanked: 628 times

Re: Storing Round Bales Outside

Post by Caustic Burno » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:21 am

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:47 pm
Caustic Burno wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:56 pm
As tax crazy as they are going here I don’t that the barn is the best way.
If you pour a slab the counties eyes light up.
Figure that fancy baler you linked to cost over 100k new over double the cost of a very nice regular round baler. Add the cost of plastic at 6-8 dollars a bale that is just thrown in the trash when your done and after a few years of that wrapping a decent chunk of hay and you just made the payments on that building plus paid the taxes.
In theory I agree with you as all my equipment is “garage” kept and would have said the exact same thing.The appraised values have went up over 40% from 2014 to 2019 and it appears no end is on site. I am wondering how some of these elderly aren’t going to get taxed out of their places. After 65 the values on the house and one acre are frozen on school and county taxes.
The hospital is going up every year. It would scare the fire out of me at the cost of a new building and the values they would attach to it today.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

User avatar
sstterry
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1397
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN
Has thanked: 332 times
Been thanked: 194 times

Re: Storing Round Bales Outside

Post by sstterry » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:21 am

Sorry, I am late to this thread. I was having a discussion about the plastic wrap and hayledge or dry hay with my ground feed supplier. He has had it done and it adds about $5 to the cost of a roll. Tons of waste on the plastic though and sometimes hard to get the plastic off the rolls when you are feeding.

hillbilly beef man
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1368
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:30 pm
Location: northeast TN
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Storing Round Bales Outside

Post by hillbilly beef man » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:51 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:07 am
I discussed this with Jeanne and she may not agree. Elwood was just here. He is 74 and the biggest hay supplier in the County. I buy all my hay from him. He recommends putting the round bales end to end with about 6 inches at a minimum between rounds. Jeanne said to push them together end to end and apply pressure with the tractor.

Both Elwood and Jeanne agree, do not let the rows touch. Allow a minimum of a foot says Elwood.
Neither. A $315 25x50 hay tarp will hold 54 5x4 bales and will last at least 5 years. They will more than pay for them selves in the first two years that you use them. I quit storing any hay outside in 2012. It is too dang expensive to let it sit out.
There is no education in the second kick of a mule.

T & B farms
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:15 pm
Location: SW kansas
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 63 times

Re: Storing Round Bales Outside

Post by T & B farms » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:14 pm

hillbilly beef man wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:51 pm
Bright Raven wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:07 am
I discussed this with Jeanne and she may not agree. Elwood was just here. He is 74 and the biggest hay supplier in the County. I buy all my hay from him. He recommends putting the round bales end to end with about 6 inches at a minimum between rounds. Jeanne said to push them together end to end and apply pressure with the tractor.

Both Elwood and Jeanne agree, do not let the rows touch. Allow a minimum of a foot says Elwood.
Neither. A $315 25x50 hay tarp will hold 54 5x4 bales and will last at least 5 years. They will more than pay for them selves in the first two years that you use them. I quit storing any hay outside in 2012. It is too dang expensive to let it sit out.
Where do you get your tarps?
How do you fasten them down? I worry with our kanas winds one may not last very long

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12176
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:31 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 68 times
Been thanked: 133 times

Re: Storing Round Bales Outside

Post by Bigfoot » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:28 am

Every time this subject comes up, I post this. Neighbor has about a dozen cows. Buys about 50 rolls a year. Sits them on two telephone poles laid side by side. Lays a piece of tin down the hay rolls on top. Weights it with tires, concrete blocks etc. his hay looks like it’s been inside even come spring. Not feasible for a bigger operation, something to consider if you get ahold of some old tin.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 820
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:56 pm
Location: N. Texas
Has thanked: 59 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: Storing Round Bales Outside

Post by Texasmark » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:33 am

I'm a STO and I owe nothing on my older equipment. My baler is a '91 JD 375 which twine wraps a 5x4 bale (5' long, 4' diameter), 2800-3000# wrapping hydraulic ram pressure (pressure monitoring gauge), at 800# give or take usually on moisture content. When I retired I went to smaller equipment on a smaller scale....never was a BTO however.

I store on top of a terrace and the direction is NE-SW due to the terrace with pallets under them to get them off the ground. Others are under shed covers, and what's left sitting on raised areas on gravel. If I could I'd have all under cover but I don't so I do what I can.

Butting seals the ends but first if in doubt about curing degree when baled, they sit out for a week where they fell to "vent". Then they get a pass with the thermometer stuck in the center-end and if ok get stacked.

Tight bales and lots of twine, butted together, off the ground works for me.

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5729
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas
Has thanked: 264 times
Been thanked: 439 times

Re: Storing Round Bales Outside

Post by callmefence » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:46 am

The only thing worse than twine...is lots of twine
https://photos.app.goo.gl/72r2j4Ty6M6ctrp97
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

hillbilly beef man
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1368
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:30 pm
Location: northeast TN
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Storing Round Bales Outside

Post by hillbilly beef man » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:18 am

T & B farms wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:14 pm
hillbilly beef man wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:51 pm
Bright Raven wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:07 am
I discussed this with Jeanne and she may not agree. Elwood was just here. He is 74 and the biggest hay supplier in the County. I buy all my hay from him. He recommends putting the round bales end to end with about 6 inches at a minimum between rounds. Jeanne said to push them together end to end and apply pressure with the tractor.

Both Elwood and Jeanne agree, do not let the rows touch. Allow a minimum of a foot says Elwood.
Neither. A $315 25x50 hay tarp will hold 54 5x4 bales and will last at least 5 years. They will more than pay for them selves in the first two years that you use them. I quit storing any hay outside in 2012. It is too dang expensive to let it sit out.
Where do you get your tarps?
How do you fasten them down? I worry with our kanas winds one may not last very long
I get them at Washington. County farmers co-op. They are the Bull Flex tarps made by inland. These can be ordered online for the same price. To fasten them down I put two pieces of Mule Tape (this is the string that utilities put in conduit to pull lines in later with) under each row of bales. Then when I put the tarp on I tie the mule tape to each eyelet on the tarp.
There is no education in the second kick of a mule.

Post Reply