Hay Production in the Rainy Corn Belt ?

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Hay Production in the Rainy Corn Belt ?

Post by Stocker Steve » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:38 pm

Our hay production is OK even if the quality is not so great. I think they will be trucking hay out of here again this winter.

What is happening in the corn belt? Are folks putting annual forages into prevent plant acres?

Stocker Steve

bball
GURU
GURU

Re: Hay Production in the Rainy Corn Belt ?

Post by bball » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:39 pm

Seen a few few fields done with annuals. Seen even more just sitting..Maybe work something into them come late August??
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop
Exercising compassion provides the most linear and fulfilling state of happiness.

Stickney94
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Hay Production in the Rainy Corn Belt ?

Post by Stickney94 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:12 pm

I'm from central SD originally and help my dad with his land there. We didn't plant an acre of corn and only about 2/3 of soybeans. We opted not to plant any corn because my dad is retired from cattle. But many acres of corn went in late (mid june) for silage or forage. The cattleman I spoke with were actually less concerned about hay/silage feed and more concerned about a shortage of corn stalk bales for feeding rations and bedding since very little corn will be harvested for grain.

I will say I think fears are going to shift. 2 weeks ago I was feeling good about hay production and now I'm looking at the calendar and its really setting in that I'm scary close to only getting 2 hay cuttings if it gets cold in early September.