Fescue in NE Texas?

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Baymule
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Fescue in NE Texas?

Postby Baymule » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:59 am

Well if I don't like it, I can just let the sheep eat it to death. They eat right down to the roots, all I gotta do is just not move them, I'll have a dirt lot, back to square one.
0 x

Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Texasmark » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:33 am

Eugene66 wrote:Has anyone experimented with K32 or Prosper Fescue in Dallas to Tyler, TX area?
I sowed some "Tall Fescue" 20 years ago I guess. Don't know the variety, just went to the ag. store and asked for it.

Grazed it heavily for many years and with cattle off it for the last couple it's flourishing....got to mow it at least once a week if not haying it. Seems fertilizer not that important. Some places near my pools it gets none as I don't want the nutrients in the water but it hangs in there. It's still with me with gusto and this year weathered the usual July-August dormant season due to our getting good rain through the summer including 8" in August throughout the month.

I'm NE of Dallas proper about 75 miles in Houston Black Clay, an uplander, soft, rolling hills. 10 miles from me the creeks to the N flow to the N the ones to the S flow to the S.
0 x

Eugene66
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Eugene66 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:20 am

BC and Texasmark, we no-tilled 60 additional acres of Prosper Fescue in late October 2017. We've received only one-half inch of rain since then; however, it is about 3 inches tall. It is too early to tell how the 20 acres we on-tilled in last year will perform long term.
0 x
COL 2:8-10. Thank God I'm not treated as I deserve.

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:24 am

Eugene66, thanks for the update. It has been dry here this fall.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”