Ancient Tobacco Barn

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Ancient Tobacco Barn

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:43 am

Yup, just following the ground up and down.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

reeler
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby reeler » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:11 am

Bright Raven wrote:QUESTION:

Look at third picture down. That is a driveway through the barn. Has anyone seen a barn where the poles set on beams laying on the ground like That? If so, I assume it was a way to deal with the slope. This barn looks to me like it was built to fit the slope rather than leveled. Very odd construction strategy. I know they had early scrapers pulled by horses. Dad had one and I assume my older brother still has it.

HDRyder: Yes. I assume the final cleanup would be my responsibility. I am prepared to do that.

Is it possible it was a threshing set-up? Could be the framework the posts are setting on for a threshing system?
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:39 am

reeler wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:QUESTION:

Look at third picture down. That is a driveway through the barn. Has anyone seen a barn where the poles set on beams laying on the ground like That? If so, I assume it was a way to deal with the slope. This barn looks to me like it was built to fit the slope rather than leveled. Very odd construction strategy. I know they had early scrapers pulled by horses. Dad had one and I assume my older brother still has it.

HDRyder: Yes. I assume the final cleanup would be my responsibility. I am prepared to do that.

Is it possible it was a threshing set-up? Could be the framework the posts are setting on for a threshing system?

No. Only an old tobacco barn.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:15 am

I'll be going through there in a few days. Shoot me a p m if I forget. Place in Greensburg is right by river
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:17 am

littletom wrote:I'll be going through there in a few days. Shoot me a p m if I forget. Place in Greensburg is right by river

Will do. Thanks
0 x
Diogenes.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:45 am

Just a tip that may be worth trying but here it was pretty common for people to pick up arrowheads while working in tobacco and many times they would set the arrowheads on top of the beams. I've found a bunch of arrowheads and some other relics on top of the timbers so it might pay you to look close before you do anything with the barn.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:58 am

If that barn was here I could get 1500-2000 for it with 100% cleanup including dragging a magnet over the ground to get any missed nails.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:15 pm

Yeah, have a friend that goes around and buys the old barns to reconstruct for people. Makes his living at it. Did some consultation work at a couple of the places that reconstruct those old villages, along the idea of the Plimouth plantation and old Shaker villages. He might be interested in coming to look at it, has gone all the way to Ohio to look at some to take down. If interested send me a PM and I will give him your name and contact info.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:31 pm

The posts to our porch are hand hewn as well, we still have a couple of the old axes as well.. There's definitely value there, I would see if I could put some bracing in it for the time being to prevent it from leaning more.. maybe a little shove with the bucket of the tractor from the other side.
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

riquezada
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby riquezada » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:50 pm

I was next door neighbor in another state with this guy you need to contact. I've known him prob over 40 yrs now. His yard is in Sulphur Wells, Ky fairly close to the Lighthouse Restaurant on Hwy 70. I can put you in touch with him if you like just PM me. Or you can ask in Sulphur Well for James, the log cabin guy.
0 x
RQuezada

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:26 pm

riquezada wrote:I was next door neighbor in another state with this guy you need to contact. I've known him prob over 40 yrs now. His yard is in Sulphur Wells, Ky fairly close to the Lighthouse Restaurant on Hwy 70. I can put you in touch with him if you like just PM me. Or you can ask in Sulphur Well for James, the log cabin guy.

Sent you a PM. Thanks.
0 x
Diogenes.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:34 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
littletom wrote:Those are worth a good bit of money in my neck of the woods. Several places buy the old wood. It goes to Nashville or N.C. to get made into high end flooring. The hewn logs also have dollar value. It has become a big problem in my area with old barn siding being stolen. Several barns have had whole sides taken off the back side you can't see from road by the meth heads. I see people going down the road all the time headed toward the local buyer. They have it sticking out of trunks or top of vans it crazy. This has taken the place since scrap iron went down. You could sell that standing here pretty quick. Where are you located?

50 miles northeast of Lexington. Near Blue Licks State Park.

well be nice.. we used to be about neighbors..
0 x

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:04 pm

Heard guys at local dive yesterday saying price is down .75 a foot.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:26 am

Update. Pulled it down. Removed the tin. Then had a bonfire. My back was hurting from a week of pulling roofing nails and stacking tin. You could not have paid me $10 K to dig the wood out. The only people I thought I could get to do it or help - hate to say it, was people I didn't trust.
0 x
Diogenes.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:37 am

did you at least save the boxing?
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”