Ancient Tobacco Barn

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Ancient Tobacco Barn

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:03 am

ddd75 wrote:did you at least save the boxing?

No.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

ClodHopper37869
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ClodHopper37869 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:21 am

30 40 years ago, a older neighbor, who in his youth helped build these old tobacco barns told me " very few of the barns he worked on fell down, but they just keep getting lower & lower " LOL
1 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:42 pm

Bright Raven wrote:Update. Pulled it down. Removed the tin. Then had a bonfire. My back was hurting from a week of pulling roofing nails and stacking tin. You could not have paid me $10 K to dig the wood out. The only people I thought I could get to do it or help - hate to say it, was people I didn't trust.

I am deeply saddened by this event.
1 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:52 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:Update. Pulled it down. Removed the tin. Then had a bonfire. My back was hurting from a week of pulling roofing nails and stacking tin. You could not have paid me $10 K to dig the wood out. The only people I thought I could get to do it or help - hate to say it, was people I didn't trust.

I am deeply saddened by this event.

You liberals are all the same. Next thing you will be telling us is that the Black Rhino or some other endangered species should be preserved.
0 x
Diogenes.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:06 pm

That is tornado wire. You fence guys don't jump me. I didn't stretch it too tight. The brace on the near end is not built for wire going in that direction. I used the existing end posts to fence between. That is a good temporary fix. Image
0 x
Diogenes.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:05 pm

Bright Raven wrote:That is tornado wire. You fence guys don't jump me. I didn't stretch it too tight. The brace on the near end is not built for wire going in that direction. I used the existing end posts to fence between. That is a good temporary fix. Image

Looks better than some of my permanent
3 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:59 pm

[quote="Bright Raven"]Update. Pulled it down. Removed the tin. Then had a bonfire. My back was hurting from a week of pulling roofing nails and stacking tin. You could not have paid me $10 K to dig the wood out. The only people I thought I could get to do it or help - hate to say it, was people I didn't trust.
Image[/quote

I am deeply saddened also Ron.

Ken
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:09 pm

wbvs58 wrote:
Image[/quote

I am deeply saddened also Ron.

Ken

There was some nice wood but when it came down, it was a tangled mess. I got the tin pulled off without injury. The jumbled boards underneath were full of danger. Nails, sharp edges. But the big factor was the physical labor required to get it untangled, pulled out and cleaned up. I have passed the age where I can single handedly do that. Pulling nails for a week with a crow bar had my lower back muscles screaming.

I offered the structure to a couple parties. They talk a big interest but when the day came, they are not there. One guy came by and said he wanted it. I told him to help himself. He came by about 3 times, I finally said it was time to have a bonfire.

The lady across the road was upset. She apparently enjoyed the old barn. When I told her I was going to burn it, she put an announcement on Facebook. No one showed up.
0 x
Diogenes.

jd720
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby jd720 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:23 pm

A bonfire was probably your best option. Many times the people that would want to tear it down would be the first ones to file a lawsuit if they just happened to get hurt on your property.
1 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:28 pm

Bright Raven wrote:I offered the structure to a couple parties. They talk a big interest but when the day came, they are not there. One guy came by and said he wanted it. I told him to help himself. He came by about 3 times, I finally said it was time to have a bonfire.

The lady across the road was upset. She apparently enjoyed the old barn. When I told her I was going to burn it, she put an announcement on Facebook. No one showed up.

I just tossed some bones on the ground and read them and what the bones tell me is in the next few days to weeks you will be inundated with people telling you they would have taken it and some even would have paid you for the lumber and even a few would have known someone who would have paid you $50,000 for the barn and moved it off the property without leaving a trace that they had ever been there. Don't know if this is right or not but that's what the bones say and they rarely lie.
3 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:32 pm

Ron, one thing you need to be sure to do is now that it is burnt down be sure to walk the perimeter of the barn site after a rain and look for indian artifacts. I've been real lucky hunting around old burnt down barns like this because often the field workers would set the points inside the barns and forget about them.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:39 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Ron, one thing you need to be sure to do is now that it is burnt down be sure to walk the perimeter of the barn site after a rain and look for indian artifacts. I've been real lucky hunting around old burnt down barns like this because often the field workers would set the points inside the barns and forget about them.

That is a great idea. Thanks
0 x
Diogenes.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:44 pm

Mouths lie. Bones don't. Neither do the Kau Cim.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:46 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:Ron, one thing you need to be sure to do is now that it is burnt down be sure to walk the perimeter of the barn site after a rain and look for indian artifacts. I've been real lucky hunting around old burnt down barns like this because often the field workers would set the points inside the barns and forget about them.

That is a great idea. Thanks

I'll turn you in.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:15 pm

So you spent a week pulling nails out of the roof metal, just to throw a match on it? :???: Fire woulda burnt them nails loose Vern. :lol: Be careful pulling on Bekaert net wire with Tornado barbed wire like that. Might just pull the net in two if you aren't careful.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”