Grass overload

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Grass overload

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:34 am

This is the time of year things start slowing down around us. We out to move equipment and had to drive over our hay fields and they are already ready to cut again. And, that is before the forecasted 10 days of rain we are suppose to get. We've already sold some of our hay and have 2 years stored for us. But to get the same again, maybe more and its way better quality.
Its going to be interesting to see what happens when you get a rainy august. Not that i'm complaining, not at all.... :D Warm dry winters, cool wet summers, if this is global warming, i'm all for it.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Re: Grass overload

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:52 am

I'm sure we aren't the only ones who will be stuck inside with this system that is going to sit over us for over a week. We'll probably do wood stuff, ie, redo out living room with the wood that's in the kiln.
What kind of things do you guys do in bad weather?
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:32 am

Except for dirt work, the same things I do in good weather. I buy hay, so don't have to deal with weather delays in that regard, but fencing and cattle work goes on rain or shine. I was born wet, same as the calves are. Work everyday for 3 months in monsoon and you get used to just getting out in it first thing in the morning and get soaking wet.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:00 pm

Have you seen the radar of NE Texas... its a monsoon out therrrr
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:00 pm

Went out to see what was flooded and even with 2 inches of rain, no water in the ditches. Daughter to the south of us got less, inlaws got 1/2 more, and further north got way more. Creek is almost over the bank which means more rain west.
Could do good for a long time with no more rain, but that's not how it goes out here. Its either too much or not enough.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:15 pm

greybeard wrote:Except for dirt work, the same things I do in good weather. I buy hay, so don't have to deal with weather delays in that regard, but fencing and cattle work goes on rain or shine. I was born wet, same as the calves are. Work everyday for 3 months in monsoon and you get used to just getting out in it first thing in the morning and get soaking wet.

I'd just as well be wet from rain as sweat.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:38 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:I'm sure we aren't the only ones who will be stuck inside with this system that is going to sit over us for over a week. We'll probably do wood stuff, ie, redo out living room with the wood that's in the kiln.

If the weather is bad at the house we go somewhere where it's nice usually. I like to play golf 2 or 3 times a week, and not in the rain. It was a light drizzle here this afternoon so we went riding around in the Samurai checking out the deer. We saw 18 racked bucks eating the summer clover, peas and beans this afternoon on our power lines.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:54 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:I'm sure we aren't the only ones who will be stuck inside with this system that is going to sit over us for over a week. We'll probably do wood stuff, ie, redo out living room with the wood that's in the kiln.

If the weather is bad at the house we go somewhere where it's nice usually. I like to play golf 2 or 3 times a week, and not in the rain. It was a light drizzle here this afternoon so we went riding around in the Samurai checking out the deer. We saw 18 racked bucks eating the summer clover, peas and beans this afternoon on our power lines.

We'd leave too but have a trip planned in Sept that's going to keep us away for a while. We started our living room, so I hope we'll work on it. Going to do board and batten around the walls, 8ft in red oak..Then tongue and groove on the ceiling in oak also, with 2 stained glass panels I've made set in the ceiling. Then above the board and batten, i'm thinking i'll put painted pressed tin, they'll be on the wall up high. I asked my husband a while ago if the wood in the kiln is ready and he said he didn't know if it would work for what we'll do first. So most of what we do in here is still a tree... :?
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:31 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:Have you seen the radar of NE Texas... its a monsoon out therrrr

When it does it for 3 months non stop, then, it's monsoon. It's a season, not an event.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

Covet Not!

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:37 am

greybeard wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:Have you seen the radar of NE Texas... its a monsoon out therrrr

When it does it for 3 months non stop, then, it's monsoon. It's a season, not an event.

It was just a goofy figure of speech. BUT, in 2009, it did rain for months. And, the 3 months will have a beginning, sill 10 days of rain forecast, in august, we could be starting another 2009... We left in 2009 and took a 5000 mile road trip. That was before we had a slide in camper, we had a topper and a mattress...
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:48 am

Getting worried that the tropical storm is going to be drug over us in a week or so....Texas hasn't had a tropical storm for a very long time. Cant remember the last one that drifted over N texas.... One time we got 11 inches of rain...
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:12 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:Getting worried that the tropical storm is going to be drug over us in a week or so....Texas hasn't had a tropical storm for a very long time. Cant remember the last one that drifted over N texas.... One time we got 11 inches of rain...

Tropical storm Hermine of September 3. 2010. We got 13 I inches in one night.

I googled the date
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:05 pm

callmefence wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:Getting worried that the tropical storm is going to be drug over us in a week or so....Texas hasn't had a tropical storm for a very long time. Cant remember the last one that drifted over N texas.... One time we got 11 inches of rain...

Tropical storm Hermine of September 3. 2010. We got 13 I inches in one night.

I googled the date

Now that's something worth googling....lol. That name Hermine, I need to google how to say that name. I've probably heard someone say it, just didn't know how it was spelled.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:00 pm

There's only one active TS right now, on the Eastern side of this continent. TS Franklin. By Thursday, it will be deep inland down in Central America.
0 x

Covet Not!

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:29 pm

. That was before we had a slide in camper, we had a topper and a mattress...[/quote]
Pics or it didn't happen!
You are the Joneses !
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”