Everyone’s favorite poly wire

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Everyone’s favorite poly wire

Postby Tbrake » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:56 pm

I went with Gallagher. Found a place that had the 1/4 mile turbo wire with free 328’ spoil for 48$ and they had the medium geared reel for 50$. Bought 8 roles of wire and 10 reels. Should be set for the pastures I’m wanting to rotate. I’m curious to why some don’t like the geared reels? I have both and my non geared sit in the shed unless I absolutly have to have them
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:15 pm

I don;t like the geared ones because I can;t walk as fast as they wind.
Folks that bought this farm got a bunch of zereba polywire, their "good stuff". So far in just a couple of months she has had to splice it a bunch of places where the conductors broke and the wire was dead past there. She's in the process of replacing all of it with Gallagher. She's impressed that we have some that's over 15 years old and still no problems.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:18 pm

I would think cable would be heavy & pain to work with.
Gallagher & Kenco are real good products. There is one I purchased at TSC that is crap. It's orange (can't see) and all the plastic shatters when you knot it.
I guess I'm the only cheap one here. I use the electric cord reals you get at Walmart - orange. Works great.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:40 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I would think cable would be heavy & pain to work with.
Gallagher & Kenco are real good products. There is one I purchased at TSC that is crap. It's orange (can't see) and all the plastic shatters when you knot it.
I guess I'm the only cheap one here. I use the electric cord reals you get at Walmart - orange. Works great.

I too use those reels for real short stretches. They work just fine. Only thing I don’t like is they don’t hold up to the weather. Atleast the ones I have. Are almost white instead of orange
1 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:07 am

I'm going to hijack just a little, so I'll apologize in advance. Being a fence builder, poly wire goes against everything I do and stand for. Now that we sell fence products, I need to stock some. I'm a big fan of Strainrite tools, and we could easily stock some of their temporary electric fence products. Do any of you have any experience with the stuff? I know the tools are better than the rest, and all the Kiwis swear by the electric fencing Strainrite make, but what say you?
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:25 am

Never heard of it
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:05 am

I never heard of it either. Kiwi - yes
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:36 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I never heard of it either. Kiwi - yes

A Kiwi is a New Zealander. The Kiwi brand of fence products is based in PA, and very closely associated with Kencove. New Zealand is the birthplace of most modern fencing technology like high tensile wire and fixed knot net wire. Bekaert, Stay Tuff, and Tornado can all trace their roots to the same family in NZ, and it's still the only place in the world to get a fixed knot wire loom.
1 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

SmokinM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SmokinM » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:08 pm

If it is like most all the rest of the electric fence stuff out of NZ there is no reason to think it wouldn't be top notch. Companies that make good stuff - make good stuff, they have a reputation to protect.

If you ship me a few rolls I will test it out no charge and give you free feedback.
1 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:29 am

SmokinM wrote:If it is like most all the rest of the electric fence stuff out of NZ there is no reason to think it wouldn't be top notch. Companies that make good stuff - make good stuff, they have a reputation to protect.

If you ship me a few rolls I will test it out no charge and give you free feedback.

You wouldn't believe all the free feedback offers I get. "I'll even let you put a sign on it." :lol:
0 x

1wlimo
Rancher
Rancher

Postby 1wlimo » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:20 pm

Tbrake wrote:I went with Gallagher. Found a place that had the 1/4 mile turbo wire with free 328’ spoil for 48$ and they had the medium geared reel for 50$. Bought 8 roles of wire and 10 reels. Should be set for the pastures I’m wanting to rotate. I’m curious to why some don’t like the geared reels? I have both and my non geared sit in the shed unless I absolutly have to have them

I have found the geared reels will not hold the same when the fence is hit by a deer, and I use my quad to wind the wire as I cross the field pulling posts. A geared real would mean more walking. If you wind the wire in thru stationary posts it wears the wire and posts out.
0 x

jdg
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby jdg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:32 pm

The best polywire i've used is the braided variety. Kencove and Powerflex both have a braided version. It holds up waaaaaay better to the elements than most others. Gallagher typically makes a premium product, but you will pay for it. I have mostly used the 9 wire stainless steel braided wires, and have been very pleased with them. I would have all my reels geared, personally, don't have the patience for the non-geared, as I reel them in place and often pretty long runs.
0 x

collegeboundgal
Beginner
Beginner

Postby collegeboundgal » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:36 pm

We take the plastic handle off the end so there is nothing on it and drive the atv along the fence-row unhooking and pulling out the post. Once we get to the reel we stand there and roll it up. No walking necessary. Now setting up new fence I drive the atv with the reel attached with the end hooked onto the permanent fence while hubby walks behind and places posts in the ground. He could ride the atv, but chooses to walk for the exercise.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:15 am

after you unhook it from the posts.. grab the reel and drive it to the beginning of the poly. that way your only reeling up 1/2 the resistance.
0 x

Waterway65
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Waterway65 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:39 pm

I have considered cutting the reel handle off at the first bend then using a battery operated drill to wind it up. Has any one tried this?
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”