Feeding hay in a barn?

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: Feeding hay in a barn?

Postby TCRanch » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:33 pm

The majority of our bale rings are in a pasture that's fairly well protected from the elements by trees, slopes, etc. but we always have a ring in the barnyard, about 100' from the barn. They can eat outside & go inside for shelter. Only time I feed inside is when I'm weaning a small group of fall/late calves or using the barn for a sick cow (foot rot, pneumonia, mastitis, whatever). Even keeping it scraped, it's a treasure trove for flies. That said, our main barn was built in the 30's so definitely no concrete floor.
0 x

snoopdog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby snoopdog » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:44 pm

If the weather was severe , maybe . I just see respiratory problems in a barn.
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:28 pm

snoopdog wrote:If the weather was severe , maybe . I just see respiratory problems in a barn.

The majority of the feed barns in my old neighborhood were open sided. Probably less respiratory problems because for at least part of the day there was a roof over their head and they had a chance to dry off. My new neighborhood cows get fed outside but there is a big difference between 10-12 inch annual rainfall and 60 inches falling between Dec. 1 and March 31.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:37 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:I hate handling square bales,, but my neighbor fed hay in his barn he built a rack down one wall, and the hay was stacked behind that half wall..just threw the hay over into the rack..there was a trough under it to catch the loose and waste

That's the old time proven traditional way of feeding square bales. I did it one year in a small subdivided barn for a handful of heifers. Labor intensive and the usual wet nasty stinky mess in front of the rack. It's like dry lotting under a roof but after a couple weeks, there's nothing dry about it. Amazing just how much they pee.......
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:12 pm

i just built one for feeding cattle.

they will be on / eating on cement through guardrail. My entire goal is to keep them out of it as much as possible. It's so moist here and with so much topsoil ( 3' - 10'+) its a mess if it stays wet.. I am going to build 2 more barns for stockers. They will have access to the outside and I'll let them have some pasture probably once a week. I'll be building a monoslope design with no side walls, or possibly 1 sidewall for wind.
0 x

WinterSpringsFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby WinterSpringsFarm » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:20 am

Do it, you will be perfectly fine. All the people here are acting like dairy cattle didn't spend their winters inside of barns on packs before they started using free stalls. Just be prepared to handle the manure.
0 x

1wlimo
Rancher
Rancher

Postby 1wlimo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:08 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:I hate handling square bales,, but my neighbor fed hay in his barn he built a rack down one wall, and the hay was stacked behind that half wall..just threw the hay over into the rack..there was a trough under it to catch the loose and waste

I had a grandfather who fed like this. Better to move the rack back as the hay is used. Also to not have a concrete floor unless there is good drainage. Let the straw pack build all winter.

However lots of work. Here if the shed was insulated and properly ventilated, and you hand fed the bales, and you could drop the feed consumption and waste and calf in January it would break even with feeding hay outside every day.

But we bale graze and that is way cheaper and easier and still does not need a tractor every day. There is also no waste. The residue they leave will feed the soil. Much needed on this years sandy and rocky hill.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:19 pm

1wlimo -do you move feeders around the bales & move fences or just move fences? I think that is a neat way to feed, especially if you have the right kind of land. It is a great way for a smaller operation that doesn't have a big tractor to handle the bales.
I think in this area, you would have to set all your temporary posts ahead of time & just move the polywire as needed. No way to put a post in now. Well, you could still pound a t-post right now, but not for much longer.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

1wlimo
Rancher
Rancher

Postby 1wlimo » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:37 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:1wlimo -do you move feeders around the bales & move fences or just move fences? I think that is a neat way to feed, especially if you have the right kind of land. It is a great way for a smaller operation that doesn't have a big tractor to handle the bales.
I think in this area, you would have to set all your temporary posts ahead of time & just move the polywire as needed. No way to put a post in now. Well, you could still pound a t-post right now, but not for much longer.

All ground freezes up here. So as long as you can place the bales in the fall you can bale graze.

I move the wire every two to three days, poly wire on rebar posts. Easy to pound posts into ice, and a quick twist with a pipe wrench gets them free to pull out.
1 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:30 pm

1wlimo wrote:

I had a grandfather who fed like this. Better to move the rack back as the hay is used. Also to not have a concrete floor unless there is good drainage. Let the straw pack build all winter.

However lots of work. Here if the shed was insulated and properly ventilated, and you hand fed the bales, and you could drop the feed consumption and waste and calf in January it would break even with feeding hay outside every day.

But we bale graze and that is way cheaper and easier and still does not need a tractor every day. There is also no waste. The residue they leave will feed the soil. Much needed on this years sandy and rocky hill.
this barn was open on each end of the rack.. Just push the crap and waste out the lower end...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”