Cow behavior and hay

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Cow behavior and hay

Postby greybeard » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:02 pm

TexasBred wrote:
HDRider wrote:Do you think they were going bale to bale looking for hay they like?

Mine get two options....take it or leave it. You don't like it today maybe it will taste better in 2 or 3 days but I will not replace it.

Same here, and better eat it all up 'cause they ain't getting a fresh bale till they 'clean that plate up'.
(well, unless it's going to turn real ugly weather..like now)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:29 am

TB & GB,
Do you guys feed something other than hay?
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:53 pm

HDRider wrote:TB & GB,
Do you guys feed something other than hay?

HD if the hay is good enough hay is all they get. Grazing is gone. Sometimes I'll give them a bag of cubes just for the heck of it but not often. If they hay is a little lower quality I will supplement with cubes everyday. I too have the occasion where they'll stand and stare at a bale of hay like something is wrong with it. Time usually takes care of the situation and I've never know why they do it. It looks the same, as far as I can tell it smells the same and came in with all the other hay but they sure back off from it until they get hungry. Once they start eating it everything seems to be ok.
2 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:27 pm

I'm glad to hear someone else has trouble with the cattle pulling a bale apart. Not only is it wrapped super tight, but i have trouble with the outer layer is frozen - wet and dry bales. I usually smash down on the top of the bale with my spear frame to loosen it up and I try to pull the top apart with the spear after setting it in the feeder. I have my hay guy put the knives in his baler, but this July hay is brutal.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”