GOT A HAY PROBLEM

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Re: GOT A HAY PROBLEM

Postby wacocowboy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:35 am

Shame you ain’t in Texas.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

TANK30705
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby TANK30705 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:57 pm

Went ahead and locked it up for another year. We are in d2 drought now and may be a good year to have extra hay ground.
0 x

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:21 pm

Buy a tarp
0 x
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:39 pm

I will never understand the mindset of it costing $$XXX.XX to cut/rake/bale hay, and then leave to rot/waste instead of getting some kind of $$$ for it, even if it is break even. Wouldn't break even be better than spending XYZ and then allowing XYZ to rot/waste?
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:00 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:I will never understand the mindset of it costing $$XXX.XX to cut/rake/bale hay, and then leave to rot/waste instead of getting some kind of $$$ for it, even if it is break even. Wouldn't break even be better than spending XYZ and then allowing XYZ to rot/waste?

I'm with you on this. I agree that it makes no sense to routinely sell hay for less than what it costs to make it. But, if we can get break even price and the next hay season is looming, that is better than just letting it rot in the field. That's the same as cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I agree that time is money, and costs to make hay is XXXX amount of dollars. So if you don't need it, then why agree to make it and spend money on fertilizer as well as the actual haying costs? And then actually let it sit and rot? How about you just take all those $20 bills and light a fire with them? You won't even have all the time tied up or the hot sweaty days in it?

Get some more cattle, or advertise it on some hay markets and maybe someone who is putting together a load can use it. I'll be D#$@MED if we are going to let hay sit and rot because we can't get more than breakeven prices for it. In fact, we routinely buy hay from people here who have leftover and want to get their rows cleaned out before making more and get it for less than breakeven. And a few times feeding 2 and 3 yr old hay is preferable to having to sell animals when it is dry and prices are down. Right now we are putting out some 3 yr old hay that was made and letting the cows pick through it along with "good hay". It also will add organic matter back into the field if rolled out ; or a pile of hay put into a manure spreader and put back on the field.
1 x

TANK30705
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby TANK30705 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:35 am

Guess I should have added that I have sold some hay at my price recently. The cold and looming drought has brought hay prices up. If it is an average year I will end up with some outside hay at end of summer.
0 x

MtnCows93
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MtnCows93 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:04 pm

why not buy more cows and when you start running short on grass this summer just put your bale rings in the pasture and feed last years hay out. the only hard part would be figuring out how many cows you need to buy, if you cant sell hay then turn it into calves!
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:43 pm

TANK30705 wrote:
1982vett wrote:
dieselbeef wrote:sell it for 20 a roll....put up the fresh stuff

If all I could get was $20 a roll, it would rot in the field.... :nod: might be why they have the barns nearly full. Definitly price ya get and costs to produce is the reason I haven’t baled in two seasons.

I am with you 1982, no way I am gonna sell hay for break even... I've probably miscounted with my math skills on the break even too..

:lol: considering that it’s $25 -$30 a roll to get it custom baked around here, I’d say you might have missed something. :nod:
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”