Pasture question

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
JSteim
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:16 am

Pasture question

Postby JSteim » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:26 am

We are in the process of putting up some fence around a field that was row cropped. The ground is too wet to disc right now. Whats left is corn stalks and weeds. Part of it is 9 acres of overgrown native plants that the ground is too uneven to row crop.
We are throwing plenty of round bales supplementing with 200 pounds of cubes a week and have mix 30 and minerals out.

When the fence is done can our cows graze on the field as is until we get it disced and planted? I ask as I saw a response on the board in another thread that talked about nitrate poisoning when grazing row crop residue.

The field was last harvested in August of 2017.




Image
0 x
Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and your a thousand miles from the cornfield.

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4908
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Pasture question

Postby callmefence » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:33 am

I wouldn't think there would be a problem as we had good moisture up till corn quit. TAMU will do a nitrates test but it takes a couple weeks.
I'll often kick a old low value cow or two in for a few days before letting the herd in.
1 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 8:32 am
Location: Texas Panhandle

Re: Pasture question

Postby Coosh71 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:08 am

I agree with fence. We graze ours out in the winter and don't have any issues. Not sure what type of weeds you have in there, but once I identified them as harmless I'd put the cattle on. Good luck JS
0 x

Dsteim
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:46 pm
Location: Austin Texas

Re: Pasture question

Postby Dsteim » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:54 pm

callmefence wrote:I wouldn't think there would be a problem as we had good moisture up till corn quit. TAMU will do a nitrates test but it takes a couple weeks.
I'll often kick a old low value cow or two in for a few days before letting the herd in.


Fence do you have any recommendations for someone to disk and plant the fields for us? We don't have a big enough tractor currently to do it ourselves. The old man did really good getting us the leases on the two places behind us.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4908
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Pasture question

Postby callmefence » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:48 pm

Dsteim wrote:
callmefence wrote:I wouldn't think there would be a problem as we had good moisture up till corn quit. TAMU will do a nitrates test but it takes a couple weeks.
I'll often kick a old low value cow or two in for a few days before letting the herd in.


Fence do you have any recommendations for someone to disk and plant the fields for us? We don't have a big enough tractor currently to do it ourselves. The old man did really good getting us the leases on the two places behind us.


Your place is a bit far from me, but there sure ought to be someone in tractor distance of you.
When I get in I'll pm you contact info on a fellow in schewertner. He might. If not he will know someone.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Dsteim
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:46 pm
Location: Austin Texas

Re: Pasture question

Postby Dsteim » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:21 pm

callmefence wrote:
Dsteim wrote:
callmefence wrote:I wouldn't think there would be a problem as we had good moisture up till corn quit. TAMU will do a nitrates test but it takes a couple weeks.
I'll often kick a old low value cow or two in for a few days before letting the herd in.


Fence do you have any recommendations for someone to disk and plant the fields for us? We don't have a big enough tractor currently to do it ourselves. The old man did really good getting us the leases on the two places behind us.


Your place is a bit far from me, but there sure ought to be someone in tractor distance of you.
When I get in I'll pm you contact info on a fellow in schewertner. He might. If not he will know someone.


We haven't started shopping it yet figured I'd ask. Our neighbor has planted one of our fields in oats the last few years but he farms 2000 acres so sometimes he doesn't have the time.
0 x


Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TennesseeTuxedo and 4 guests