congrats to James Coffelt, Ohio land and cattle.. front page of ohio farmer!

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: congrats to James Coffelt, Ohio land and cattle.. front page of ohio farmer!

Postby dun » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:28 pm

Allenw wrote:What does a 4x4 bale weigh? I may have seen a baler that small once.

They look like jelly rolls
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Re: congrats to James Coffelt, Ohio land and cattle.. front page of ohio farmer!

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:53 pm

Allenw wrote:
ddd75 wrote:i baled 118 4x4 round bales off 8 acres last year. That's 3,540.00 @ 30 / roll value in 1 cutting.

That land is 10-14k / ac land. lets say you pulled 200 for the year. that's 6k in hay. Every 2 years you'll pay for an acre. 8 acres would take 16 years to pay for in hay. Not bad when considering how much the land is valued.

Now to the understock so you don't have to make hay theory. In KY I fed hay around Xmas every single year. They were back to grazing on March 20th, every year. I had 3 months of hay feeding, around 600-800 round bales. If I understocked and fed stockpiled grass, I'm guessing I'd have to cut my herd size in almost half. What would you do with all the grass in the warm months? buy stockers? You can't gain enough weight in that time on grass alone to make them even worth it. 800 bales @ 30 each is 24,000 dollars. My hay equipment cost me around 10k. What about fertilizer and seed!?!?!? Well, I unroll my bales where I got the hay. no seed / fertilizer needed. 0 input costs other then fuel.

Anyway you want to spin it it just doesn't make sense.

What does a 4x4 bale weigh? I may have seen a baler that small once.

I'd guess 500 pounds. Maybe a shade more. I have fed them a time or two. I put 2 in each hay ring, when I did.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:41 pm

What was his user name?
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:46 pm

Allenw wrote:
ddd75 wrote:i baled 118 4x4 round bales off 8 acres last year. That's 3,540.00 @ 30 / roll value in 1 cutting.

That land is 10-14k / ac land. lets say you pulled 200 for the year. that's 6k in hay. Every 2 years you'll pay for an acre. 8 acres would take 16 years to pay for in hay. Not bad when considering how much the land is valued.

Now to the understock so you don't have to make hay theory. In KY I fed hay around Xmas every single year. They were back to grazing on March 20th, every year. I had 3 months of hay feeding, around 600-800 round bales. If I understocked and fed stockpiled grass, I'm guessing I'd have to cut my herd size in almost half. What would you do with all the grass in the warm months? buy stockers? You can't gain enough weight in that time on grass alone to make them even worth it. 800 bales @ 30 each is 24,000 dollars. My hay equipment cost me around 10k. What about fertilizer and seed!?!?!? Well, I unroll my bales where I got the hay. no seed / fertilizer needed. 0 input costs other then fuel.

Anyway you want to spin it it just doesn't make sense.

What does a 4x4 bale weigh? I may have seen a baler that small once.

about 600 lbs.
1 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:50 pm

What was his user name???
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:55 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:What was his user name???

I actually think it might have been James Coffelt.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:57 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:What was his user name???

I actually think it might have been James Coffelt.

I just did a search. He had 140 post.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:51 pm

Bigfoot wrote: I visited his place. He got bad hurt on an ATV. Not doing well at all. Have not heard from him in over a year.
Ouch. Hate to hear that. I do some of his stuff. Needed to pick his brain a little more though.[/quote]

He is obviously a very good businessman. Cheap land, very long grazing season, no cost bulls, selling replacements...

Did he miss anything?
0 x
Stocker Steve

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:33 pm

His cost sound a bit on the high side when you consider you're getting a midget cow.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:34 pm

TexasBred wrote:His cost sound a bit on the high side when you consider you're getting a midget cow.

Moderate framed NOT a midget!
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:51 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
TexasBred wrote:His cost sound a bit on the high side when you consider you're getting a midget cow.

Moderate framed NOT a midget!

We're talking cows not people you don't need to be politically correct.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:50 am

James has a "Building Wealth vs. Income" article in the February issue of the Stockman Grass Farmer.
He ignores scale and marketing in this article, but does explains much of the why behind the Ohio Farmer write up.
I don't have the capital to play at his level. A partial solution is to tie into a successful marketing program, like PCC.
Last edited by Stocker Steve on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Stocker Steve

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:10 am

Stocker Steve wrote:James has a "Building Wealth vs. Income" article in the February issue of the Stockman Grass Farmer.
He explains much of the why behind the Ohio Farmer article.
He also emphasizes that stocking rate is a big driver of profit.

scan that article so we can all read it. 8)
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:31 am

First we need to read the prequel - -

"How to Accumulate the Capital to Buy a Big Ranch and Stock it with Registered Cattle".
1 x
Stocker Steve

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:26 pm

As frame size continues to increase, I wonder how long his strategy will work without calves being deeply discounted?
0 x
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”