Need crop suggestion

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
coyotefur
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:20 pm
Location: E. KY. OH/WV/KY Tri-state

Re: Need crop suggestion

Postby coyotefur » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:35 am

callmefence wrote:
coyotefur wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:How are turnips perfect?
Can perennial grasses be seeded along with the turnips so that you'll have a usable pasture the following year?


Plow, till, throw, cows harvest.

You telling me to plant trees is like going into a gunshop and the guy sells me ice cream. Your suggestion was off base with elitist attitude.


Sometimes butch will serve you ice cream in the gun shop to help you see the light. I don't think he means any harm.


Do you think I come here to be enlightend? He told me to plant walnuts when I have 150 acres of trees.

In addition to his other comments, we call him a tall cool bottle of summers eve.
0 x

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5353
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: Need crop suggestion

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:24 am

coyotefur wrote:
callmefence wrote:
coyotefur wrote:
Plow, till, throw, cows harvest.

You telling me to plant trees is like going into a gunshop and the guy sells me ice cream. Your suggestion was off base with elitist attitude.


Sometimes butch will serve you ice cream in the gun shop to help you see the light. I don't think he means any harm.


Do you think I come here to be enlightend? He told me to plant walnuts when I have 150 acres of trees.
In addition to his other comments, we call him a tall cool bottle of summers eve.

Get it right.

I told you to plant Coconut trees and winter your calves on Coconut Milk.
(an inspired thinking outside the box suggestion, if there ever was one)
0 x

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5353
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: Need crop suggestion

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:27 am

Son of Butch wrote:3 acres of zucchini would be fun/not

Coconut milk 14 oz can 99 cents... there you go... 3 acres of coconut trees and winter your calves on coconut milk.

$113 cwt better than milking cows
0 x

User avatar
ChrisB
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1205
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:45 pm
Location: MN

Re: Need crop suggestion

Postby ChrisB » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:31 am

Well, when I originally read your first post I also ASSUMED that when you "feed" and "lack of harvest equipment", you were talking about a crop that you would store and would feed in bunks or something. Probably a regional thing, but I don't know if I've ever heard what cows are grazing referred to as feed, whether grasses, stalks, or a cover crop. I don't know where the fascination with trees came from, but if it was a 3 acre field that couldn't be grazed, it might have been something to consider.
0 x

coyotefur
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:20 pm
Location: E. KY. OH/WV/KY Tri-state

Re: Need crop suggestion

Postby coyotefur » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:41 am

Son of Butch wrote:3 acres of zucchini would be fun/not
3 acres of black walnut trees, but would take a few decades to harvest and buy feed with the proceeds
Coconut milk 14 oz can 99 cents... there you go... 3 acres of coconut trees and winter your calves on coconut milk.


You said plant walnut trees and buy milk with proceeds. Remember? Get it right.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4885
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Need crop suggestion

Postby callmefence » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:07 pm

coyotefur wrote:
callmefence wrote:
coyotefur wrote:
Plow, till, throw, cows harvest.

You telling me to plant trees is like going into a gunshop and the guy sells me ice cream. Your suggestion was off base with elitist attitude.


Sometimes butch will serve you ice cream in the gun shop to help you see the light. I don't think he means any harm.


Do you think I come here to be enlightend? He told me to plant walnuts when I have 150 acres of trees.

In addition to his other comments, we call him a tall cool bottle of summers eve.


It's becoming obvious growing nuts might benefit you.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

coyotefur
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:20 pm
Location: E. KY. OH/WV/KY Tri-state

Re: Need crop suggestion

Postby coyotefur » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:15 pm

callmefence wrote:
coyotefur wrote:
callmefence wrote:
Sometimes butch will serve you ice cream in the gun shop to help you see the light. I don't think he means any harm.


Do you think I come here to be enlightend? He told me to plant walnuts when I have 150 acres of trees.

In addition to his other comments, we call him a tall cool bottle of summers eve.


It's becoming obvious growing nuts might benefit you.


I think it's becoming apparent and a direct correlation between the number of post you have and how much farming you actually do....

Ive plotted the points and I'm making the bar graph with my hands. My middle finger is slightly in the upright position.
1 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4885
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Need crop suggestion

Postby callmefence » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:25 pm

coyotefur wrote:
callmefence wrote:
coyotefur wrote:
Do you think I come here to be enlightend? He told me to plant walnuts when I have 150 acres of trees.

In addition to his other comments, we call him a tall cool bottle of summers eve.


It's becoming obvious growing nuts might benefit you.


I think it's becoming apparent and a direct correlation between the number of post you have and how much farming you actually do....

Ive plotted the points and I'm making the bar graph with my hands. My middle finger is slightly in the upright position.


I do no farming, I raise cattle. Although I do have about half your tree acres in oats this year. It's not a crop it's forage. :dunce:
And I was trying to help.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

coyotefur
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:20 pm
Location: E. KY. OH/WV/KY Tri-state

Re: Need crop suggestion

Postby coyotefur » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:27 pm

callmefence wrote:
coyotefur wrote:
callmefence wrote:
It's becoming obvious growing nuts might benefit you.


I think it's becoming apparent and a direct correlation between the number of post you have and how much farming you actually do....

Ive plotted the points and I'm making the bar graph with my hands. My middle finger is slightly in the upright position.


I do no farming, I raise cattle. Although I do have about half your tree acres in oats this year. It's not a crop it's forage. :dunce:
And I was trying to help.


Ohh the burn
1 x

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 5:37 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Need crop suggestion

Postby Tbrake » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:52 pm

I strip grazed while I could. This field was almost a half mile in all directions, so it was a major pain. It is well worth doing if conditions allow. This year I have 3 separate 80’s that are going to corn. They are perfect rectangles so they will be a breeze to strip graze the turnips
0 x

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5353
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: Need crop suggestion

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:54 pm

coyotefur wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:3 acres of zucchini would be fun/not
3 acres of black walnut trees, but would take a few decades to harvest and buy feed with the proceeds
Coconut milk 14 oz can 99 cents... there you go... 3 acres of coconut trees and winter your calves on coconut milk.

You said plant walnut trees and buy milk with proceeds. Remember? Get it right.

Sorry, but there it is highlighted for you.

Zucchini refers to old posting by fellow saying when he was a kid his father had 'bright' idea to get rich by planting
acres of zucchini and selling them at a farmer's market. (What a way to learn the meaning of supply and demand)

Clean 15" standing black walnut trees with over 9' logs in them bring a hefty price, if over 18' log the money's huge.
Feeding coconut milk to calves from coconut trees is just inspired genius run amuck.

Re: we call him a tall cool bottle of summers eve.
I acknowledge the wit :tiphat: and appreciate a clever reference. There might be hope for you yet.

p.s.
Life is too short to take seriously.
0 x

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29700
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Need crop suggestion

Postby TexasBred » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:48 am

coyotefur wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:3 acres of zucchini would be fun/not
3 acres of black walnut trees, but would take a few decades to harvest and buy feed with the proceeds
Coconut milk 14 oz can 99 cents... there you go... 3 acres of coconut trees and winter your calves on coconut milk.


You said plant walnut trees and buy milk with proceeds. Remember? Get it right.


Coyotefur. Make a note....ignore Butch. He don't know shyt so he tries to cover his weakness with numbers and BS.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29700
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Need crop suggestion

Postby TexasBred » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:00 pm

M-5 wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:If you have a few acres that won't get damaged by cattle, why not a few black walnut trees or hardwood tree
of your choice along perimeter for future generation?
3 acres is awfully small for any type of field cropping.

Maybe in Minnesota but the young man is using what he has to work with and iirc he has less than 10 cows so 3 acres is actually a decent rotation field . Turnips or kale or any winter forage works well in the south and middle. Why are you degrading him because he only has small operation.


As one fella said "That's just the kind of sob he is".
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29700
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Need crop suggestion

Postby TexasBred » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:08 pm

coyotefur wrote:
Tbrake wrote:About jan 1 the green on top of the turnip turned completely white/yellow and most fell off of the bulb. The cows have now eaten 98% of the bulbs and are now grazing on the turnip leaves that fell off, and the remainder of the corn leaves. They are still getting enough protein as their poop is still runny and splatters. (Not near like when they were eating the bulbs) all they are getting is some 8% oat silage hay free choice, but 60 cows only eat 2 bales in about a week. About half of them are milking, and the rest are springers. They are holding condition very well. I think I have found the magic ticket for my area. With turnips I don’t have to spray to kill like I do wheat. I can run the ripper across it and be ready to plant it to beans by jun 1 easily. I have debated on no-tilling the beans, but I’m afraid of the compaction issues from the cows being on it all winter.


Do you strip graze or is it free for all?

Whatever you end up doing I hope it works great for you young man......no thanks to the stupid SOB who thinks walnut trees are a great investment for "next year"....or was that coconut palms. :lol2: :lol2:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

coyotefur
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:20 pm
Location: E. KY. OH/WV/KY Tri-state

Re: Need crop suggestion

Postby coyotefur » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:20 pm

TexasBred wrote:
coyotefur wrote:
Tbrake wrote:About jan 1 the green on top of the turnip turned completely white/yellow and most fell off of the bulb. The cows have now eaten 98% of the bulbs and are now grazing on the turnip leaves that fell off, and the remainder of the corn leaves. They are still getting enough protein as their poop is still runny and splatters. (Not near like when they were eating the bulbs) all they are getting is some 8% oat silage hay free choice, but 60 cows only eat 2 bales in about a week. About half of them are milking, and the rest are springers. They are holding condition very well. I think I have found the magic ticket for my area. With turnips I don’t have to spray to kill like I do wheat. I can run the ripper across it and be ready to plant it to beans by jun 1 easily. I have debated on no-tilling the beans, but I’m afraid of the compaction issues from the cows being on it all winter.


Do you strip graze or is it free for all?

Whatever you end up doing I hope it works great for you young man......no thanks to the stupid SOB who thinks walnut trees are a great investment for "next year"....or was that coconut palms. :lol2: :lol2:


Thanks I'm looking at turnips mixed with oats of some sort. Thanks for the info.
0 x


Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: poorboy and 4 guests