First spring turnout....

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

First spring turnout....

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:38 am

Cows have been off grass since the first part of December, in our holding (sacrifice) pasture with hay. We got a little rain and some sun a few weeks ago, and were able to get some growth. Now we are dry again, but the cows are looking over the fence at the greening pastures and constantly mooing, so I caved and moved them this morning. Oh what a sight to see, them running and bucking (see the video)...

Here are the girls, enjoying the green stuff (versus brown stuff)....

This is a yearling Iron Hide 3/4 blood heifer. She is about 70 days bred for a September calf this year.

Here is Ottis! He is turning out to be a fantastic calf (January born). I hope to put a sib in one of the spring cows this year for another one next year. I am excited to see how he turns out on the rail...

This is not on grass, but I took it before I moved the cows. She was posing so nicely for me.... she is a September heifer calf, embryo, sired by Upperclass out of Jeanne's cow, Zsa Zsa. She is standing in front of the compost pile, which was just scraped from around the hay ring and barn... very nasty (and a big reason I wanted them out of the pen).

Anyone else get some joy by seeing the cows move to grass after a long, cold winter? I know I do!
I hope we get some rain, and good weather, so the grass continues. The cows always seem more happy on grass than when cooped up on hay. Plus, I am low on hay, only a few rounds left. I was amazed at how much more grass Kentucky had than we did, but they were wet and we have been pretty dry, for the most part.
4 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Re: First spring turnout....

Postby wbvs58 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:14 pm

I hope the season continues to improve for you.

Ken
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:47 pm

0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:08 pm

Here are more I took tonight when I was doing heat checks. I love seeing them on grass... they seem to love it also!

A better picture of the Sept Upperclass x Zsa Zsa heifer calf;

A Feb 2 year old Built Right x Angus embryo. She was late cycling, and we ended up putting an embryo in her just to get her bred. She is due in May, with the same embryo as she is... wrap your head around that one! lol

American Pride x angus cow (Bear Mountain Pride) - Gizmom knows the Angus side of this one. She is a December16, due in October to Lock N Load (Simmental). Excited for that calf!

This girl is one of Bright Raven and I's partnership cows. She is a Feb 17 heifer, and we just bred her last week to 1143Y (Lock n Load son Genex is carrying), 916 pounds. She is a Wide Body x Rendition heifer. We sold her dam in the fall sale as a bred.... regretting that now...

This is a sight that makes me happy! This first calf heifer had a calf that took a bad turn at 7 days (remember my iron issue?). The calf ended up going to the vet for IV fluids for overnight, and I thought we might lose her. She was so weak she could barely stand, and everything we did to get her going did not work. After 7 bags of fluids, she came home and kept getting better. As you can see, she is doing just fine now, nursing like a champ and keeping up with the herd. The calf is sired by Optimizer son we raised, and the heifer is a Combustable x Macho dam. Our daughter showed the heifer last year and she won a bunch, and seems to have a perfect udder! We might show them as a pair this year...
1 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:29 am

Nice, are you close to the Anderson/sw city area ?
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BFE » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:46 am

As always, nice looking cattle! We AI'd a group of fall calvers to Deacon last year, and cleaned up with an Ironhide son. All but one Deacon look good, but right now I think the cleanup calves look better. One cleanup bull calf out of a Lazy H cow may be the successor to his daddy, if he continues to look the part. Only thing is, he's solid black, and I love the blaze! Guess you can't have it all.
Good to see the Rendition heifer. We own a full sib sister to him. She's a tank.
1 x
Formerly known as Clodhopper from SE IL

kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kentuckyguy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:16 am

What cross is Ottis I love the chrome.
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:12 am

I’ve started closing off pastures to keep them on top of the clover. Also giving the oats a break till I close them off the pastures I want to bale. They have been off hay about 3 weeks now.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:25 am

snoopdog wrote:Nice, are you close to the Anderson/sw city area ?

We are about 45 minutes from there, of exit 44 on 44.
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:28 am

kentuckyguy wrote:What cross is Ottis I love the chrome.

He is 5/8 Simmi. The color comes from his dam, she is a Belgium Blue x simm cross. She is a solid blue cow, so we were surprised with all the white. But he is a tank!
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”