Bring Back A Coastal Field

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
east_tex
Cowhand
Cowhand

Bring Back A Coastal Field

Postby east_tex » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:54 pm

A field in Walker County Texas was once coastal Bermuda. A ten acre section of it has been cleared of persimmon saplings with a root grubber and basal bark treatments of Remedy and diesel. The remaining plants that need to go are greenbriar and smutgrass as well as some easier to get rid of goat weed and dogfennel. Velpar is not an option because of close proximity of the field to oak trees. I don't think a broadcast application of 1 quart or glyphosate will control the greenbriar not sure about the smutgrass. Does it make sense to plow with a moldboard behind the 4020 the disk the sandy loam, roll it firm, and keep cattle off of it for a while with an electric wire. The results of a soil sample should be back in a few days. Will the coastal return? Maybe 50 percent of the ten acres is 75 percent smutgrass. Maybe 30 percent of the ten acres is thick with greenbriar. With the goal of returning the field to coastal for hay and grazing what should I do? Thanks for any comments.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Bring Back A Coastal Field

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:09 pm

I would find someone to sprig the field with a hybrid Bermuda grass. Doing all that work for half the yield doesn't make sense.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:12 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:I would find someone to sprig the field with a hybrid Bermuda grass. Doing all that work for half the yield doesn't make sense.

I agree sprig and disc, coastal loves the disc and what the disc doesn’t get old fashioned 2-4-D will.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:31 pm

That green briar will give you fits. Tough son of a gun to kill out. It will laugh at glyphosate. Its usually best to attack it in winter with remedy and diesel. It will need to be treated numerous times.
I would rather have mesquite trees than green briar. Unfortunately, I have both.
0 x

Farmgirl
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farmgirl » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:51 pm

University of Florida has some good articles about dealing with smutgrass. They give criteria for renovating pasture to get rid of smutgrass. If the wicked stuff is that thick and velpar isn't an option it may be the only option. The only chemicals that will kill it are glyphosate and velpar. I hate smutgrass!!!!!
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:47 am

True Grit Farms wrote:I would find someone to sprig the field with a hybrid Bermuda grass. Doing all that work for half the yield doesn't make sense.

Coastal is a hybrid bermuda grass. I get five 6x4 rolls/acre with mine if it gets rain enough. You know some other kind that makes twice that? I don't know anything about smutgrass, but if glyphosate kills it then I'd spray glyphosate on it because it won't kill coastal bermuda.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:55 am

ga.prime wrote:

Coastal is a hybrid bermuda grass. I get five 6x4 rolls/acre with mine if it gets rain enough. You know some other kind that makes twice that? I don't know anything about smutgrass, but if glyphosate kills it then I'd spray glyphosate on it because it won't kill coastal bermuda.

Dr. Dennis Hancock of UGA did a eight year study on production between a lot of different warm season grasses. And here's his results. When you add the RFQ - DMI into the equation T85 and Russell produce twice as much forage per acre.
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:32 am

That's interesting but there are other considerations. You remember when Furman P. was county agent? Many years ago I asked him about changing my hayfield over from coastal to Tift 85 or one of the other newer hybrids and he said "heck no, you don't want to do that".
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:03 pm

ga.prime wrote:That's interesting but there are other considerations. You remember when Furman P. was county agent? Many years ago I asked him about changing my hayfield over from coastal to Tift 85 or one of the other newer hybrids and he said "heck no, you don't want to do that".

Although I would not change a field from Coastal to Tifton I would not plant Coastal instead of Tifton.

Tifton will grow circles around Coastal.
2 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:06 pm

ga.prime wrote:That's interesting but there are other considerations. You remember when Furman P. was county agent? Many years ago I asked him about changing my hayfield over from coastal to Tift 85 or one of the other newer hybrids and he said "heck no, you don't want to do that".

A lot of things have changed from years ago. I don't want to get stuck in the past like CB. :D
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:21 pm

The best way to deal with smutgrass is to either wick it with Velpar or spot spray it with Velpar. I'd hit the greenbriar with Remedy and it will knock it back and once you get your bermuda back on track I would think frequent cuttings along with the occasional sprayings with Remedy will put the greenbriar in retreat. In other words, focus your effort on the smutgrass and the other will fall in place. JMO
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:38 pm

Brute 23 wrote:

Although I would not change a field from Coastal to Tifton I would not plant Coastal instead of Tifton.

That's what I'm saying.
1 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:49 pm

Greenbriar means different things to different people, but I'm guessing in this case you're talking about members of the genus smilax. It will not thrive or survive in a pasture setting. Don't waste any time or money trying to control it.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:21 pm

Brute 23 wrote:

Are you talking Tifton 9?
If so the Argentine will take it over.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:33 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:

Are you talking Tifton 9?
If so the Argentine will take it over.

0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”