Forage Teff grass

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
AKE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Forage Teff grass

Postby AKE » Mon May 07, 2018 8:50 am

Bought some forage Teff grass for 5 acres. Think im gonna mix it in the fertilizer and half rate the fertilizer to double spread it. Just curious if anyone has broadcast any Teff before instead of using a brillion seeder.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Re: Forage Teff grass

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon May 07, 2018 3:00 pm

Watching....
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

rollinhills
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rollinhills » Tue May 08, 2018 8:20 am

AKE wrote:Bought some forage Teff grass for 5 acres. Think im gonna mix it in the fertilizer and half rate the fertilizer to double spread it. Just curious if anyone has broadcast any Teff before instead of using a brillion seeder.

Yes I have works good but you really need to roll it in, what ever you do don’t get it over 1/4” deep, firm seed bed works best.
0 x

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Postby pricefarm » Tue May 08, 2018 9:36 pm

I have planted it before. The seed is very small. I broadcasted it with a old cone spreader and didn't even have to open the gate on the bottom the seed came out the small cracks. After I spread the seed I ran a culitpacker over it. Teff makes good hay just make sure you cut it right when it starts to seed out. If you wait to long it really takes time for it to start growing back. I got 3 cutting from mine but if I could have mowed the first cutting about 2 weeks sooner I would have got 4.
0 x

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Fri May 11, 2018 6:24 am

I'm always looking for something new and better. Looked at Teff a couple of years ago and decided against it. As I remember planting problems and high cost were right up there at the top.....too expensive to make a mistake in application. I have a cone spreader, JD double disc drill, flexible spike tooth harrow, and roller, so it wasn't because I didn't have the equipment. I was planning on mixing it with a carrier seed to get it started, something cheap that would die out quickly....like rye planted in the spring.
0 x

AKE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby AKE » Wed May 16, 2018 12:25 pm

Well worked the ground and double spread it about dark with some urea. Was going to run cultipacker over the next morning but our zero percent chance of rain turned into 7 tenths of rain overnight. Let's hope it comes up.
0 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Tue May 22, 2018 7:47 pm

Watching also and very interested , where are you located ?
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

critterair2
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby critterair2 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:45 pm

I've broadcasted Teff before. Worked fine, as others mentioned do not plant deep. We tilled, spread and just rolled it.
0 x

AKE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby AKE » Thu May 31, 2018 7:31 am

Got pretty lucky since I just mixed with urea and broadcast it. Like I said it got 7 tenths of rain that night then two days later a couple tenths. Lucky it did cause it got hot for a week after that before we got a little more rain on it. Few thinner spots but that is alright I am pleased for not getting the chance to pack it
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”