What do you think

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Re: What do you think

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:32 pm

When rain is moving in and I have hay to bale I don't have time to wait around for twine to be applied. In the winter when time isn't a crunch I can spend however long it takes to remove. But in my experience it takes less time to remove net than twine.
0 x

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Fri May 11, 2018 6:03 am

Agree on net wrapping survives weathering much better than twine. I think I'd NW mine except I have a paid for twine baler and don't have justification for buying another baler just to get NW. I keep mine on skids and under sheds till full and then on skids and under tarps as you said you do.

On hauling the hay and all, considering all things equal, taking a 5x6 you said (5 length x 6 diameter) at 1600#, a 4x5 (4 length x 5 diameter) comes in at 886#.
0 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Sat May 12, 2018 5:12 am

Texasmark wrote:Agree on net wrapping survives weathering much better than twine. I think I'd NW mine except I have a paid for twine baler and don't have justification for buying another baler just to get NW. I keep mine on skids and under sheds till full and then on skids and under tarps as you said you do.

On hauling the hay and all, considering all things equal, taking a 5x6 you said (5 length x 6 diameter) at 1600#, a 4x5 (4 length x 5 diameter) comes in at 886#.
No , I wouldn't trade apaid for baler just for nw, I intend to build a barn for storage , but I am trying to keep my reserves as I think the place that borders me will be for sale soon and it has one. The smaller bales actually work pretty well for us, with regard to feeding waste . I can roll one out so everyone gets a chance , then put one in a ring , then I can look at them better and don't have to be among the bucking and shoving . Anyway , We missed our window this week so it'll be a little bit longer now before we cut.
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Sat May 12, 2018 7:01 am

I prefer smaller bales since going from the 5x6 to the 5x4. Less spoilage and easier to handle with smaller equipment in tight spaces.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”