Page 1 of 5

First time planting hay-grazer

Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:26 pm
by AZAggie
I'm trying my hand at hay-grazer for the first time. Our rye did nothing due to not having any rain on it for dang near 6 months, so I really need this stuff to produce. I'm going to mix it with about 6-8 lbs per acre of cow peas. I also put down about 100 lbs per acre of nitrogen about 3 weeks ago, then we got no rain again until last night. I've got about 45 acres to plant. I'm hoping to have enough time to get it in the ground later this week, no later than Saturday, if the weather and my regular work schedule cooperates. We are supposed to get another round of rain Sunday night.

Any suggestions from anyone who has grown the stuff before?

Re: First time planting hay-grazer

Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:24 am
by Allenw
100 lbs of actual nitrogen? How much was put down for the wheat crop?

Re: First time planting hay-grazer

Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:55 am
by callmefence
This got out of the ground a week or two into April. I've got several later plantings up to last weekend. It is getting late imo . But it really doesn't take alot of rain. Just definitely try to get it in ASAP. I would forget the silly peas. If the haygrazer goes it will choke out anything else anyway. Nothing wrong with 100 pounds of nitrogen as long as you get rain. How many pounds per of seed do plan on?


Image

Re: First time planting hay-grazer

Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:17 am
by ClinchValley
That sure is pretty, Fence.

How much are they getting for haygrazer seed?

Re: First time planting hay-grazer

Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:39 am
by callmefence
ClinchValley wrote:That sure is pretty, Fence.

How much are they getting for haygrazer seed?


I paid 32.00 per cw
Fwiw last two years was 22.00 per cw

Re: First time planting hay-grazer

Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:46 am
by AZAggie
I'm planting today. I'm going with about 30 lbs per acre.

Re: First time planting hay-grazer

Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:03 pm
by callmefence
AZAggie wrote:I'm planting today. I'm going with about 30 lbs per acre.


For hay and the amount of fertilizer you put down. I would at least double that.
Good luck with whatever you do.

Re: First time planting hay-grazer

Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:39 pm
by Dogs and Cows
callmefence wrote:This got out of the ground a week or two into April. I've got several later plantings up to last weekend. It is getting late imo . But it really doesn't take alot of rain. Just definitely try to get it in ASAP. I would forget the silly peas. If the haygrazer goes it will choke out anything else anyway. Nothing wrong with 100 pounds of nitrogen as long as you get rain. How many pounds per of seed do plan on?


Image


Is that broadcast and disced in fence?

I planted a few acres in Johnsongrass a week ago. Hoping the rain we are getting gets it up and going. I think it should work very well for my needs. Did you decide to go with any JG this year?

Tim

Re: First time planting hay-grazer

Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:58 pm
by callmefence
Dogs and Cows wrote:
callmefence wrote:This got out of the ground a week or two into April. I've got several later plantings up to last weekend. It is getting late imo . But it really doesn't take alot of rain. Just definitely try to get it in ASAP. I would forget the silly peas. If the haygrazer goes it will choke out anything else anyway. Nothing wrong with 100 pounds of nitrogen as long as you get rain. How many pounds per of seed do plan on?


Image


Is that broadcast and disced in fence?

I planted a few acres in Johnsongrass a week ago. Hoping the rain we are getting gets it up and going. I think it should work very well for my needs. Did you decide to go with any JG this year?

Tim


It's drilled in.
I've done discing but the drill does such a better job. Same with oats.

Johnson grass
I spread some that we pulled by hand last summer on the river. We went to go night fishing and caught bait early. I had about half a five gallon bucket.
I planted it mixed with haygrazer on a different field. The field is up maybe four inches. I won't know if the Johnson grass stuck till it starts heading. If it took I'll let it go to seed. So no I really didn't do Johnson grass This year lol.
Look forward to hearing how yours does

Re: First time planting hay-grazer

Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:51 pm
by AZAggie
Allenw wrote:100 lbs of actual nitrogen? How much was put down for the wheat crop?
No wheat. A little rye that got plowed up. The drought here decimated it. Wasn't enough to bale.

Re: First time planting hay-grazer

Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:57 pm
by AZAggie
callmefence wrote:This got out of the ground a week or two into April. I've got several later plantings up to last weekend. It is getting late imo . But it really doesn't take alot of rain. Just definitely try to get it in ASAP. I would forget the silly peas. If the haygrazer goes it will choke out anything else anyway. Nothing wrong with 100 pounds of nitrogen as long as you get rain. How many pounds per of seed do plan on?


Image
I didn't want to risk planting that early here. In April we were still having mornings in the 20's. Even worse, we hadn't had any measurable rain since the first week of October. I may be one of the first in the area to get it planted, although I don't see a lot of it around here normally.

Re: First time planting hay-grazer

Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:18 am
by callmefence
Different field just up maybe two weeks.
It'll come up pale and yellow and go slow until about this size. Then if the weather is right it can be belt buckle high and deep green in about the same amount of time.

Image

Re: First time planting hay-grazer

Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:33 am
by Texasmark
callmefence wrote:
ClinchValley wrote:That sure is pretty, Fence.

How much are they getting for haygrazer seed?


I paid 32.00 per cw
Fwiw last two years was 22.00 per cw
Mine was 32 this year.

Re: First time planting hay-grazer

Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:44 am
by Texasmark
You need some P and K to go along with N for a new planting....if it's not already in the soil you need to incorporate it in the root zone before planting. N top dressing on a growing plant is ok, but you have to get it growing first.....ref. Agricultural Research Center at Renner (Texas), joint operation of TAMU research fellows and local businessmen formed back in the '60's to get Texas crop production going again after "king cotton" almost wiped us out.

I harvested a field of Austrian Field peas and Jumbo Rye this spring at about 30" tall and very thick. The peas used the rye as a trellis is the reason they were up so tall. Otherwise they would have hugged the ground and been a tangled mess....but that's ok. A tangled mess chops up just fine.

I came right back with SS and it's up about 8" now and nice and green, no additional fertilizer. The peas died off but probably 60% of the rye clumps recovered even though I ran a 3 pt rototiller over the field between crops and did a good job of disrupting the rye. Rains came at the right time and it is back strong with the SS. Interesting watching the SS plants. They were showing tomato worm green till the roots got long enough to find the N nodules left by the peas...then they turned a pretty Kelly Green.

Re: First time planting hay-grazer

Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:52 am
by callmefence
Texasmark wrote:You need some P and K to go along with N for a new planting....if it's not already in the soil you need to incorporate it in the root zone before planting. N top dressing on a growing plant is ok, but you have to get it growing first.....ref. Agricultural Research Center at Renner (Texas), joint operation of TAMU research fellows and local businessmen formed back in the '60's to get Texas crop production going again after "king cotton" almost wiped us out.

I harvested a field of Austrian Field peas and Jumbo Rye this spring at about 30" tall and very thick. The peas used the rye as a trellis is the reason they were up so tall. Otherwise they would have hugged the ground and been a tangled mess....but that's ok. A tangled mess chops up just fine.

I came right back with SS and it's up about 8" now and nice and green, no additional fertilizer. The peas died off but probably 60% of the rye clumps recovered even though I ran a 3 pt rototiller over the field between crops and did a good job of disrupting the rye. Rains came at the right time and it is back strong with the SS. Interesting watching the SS plants. They were showing tomato worm green till the roots got long enough to find the N nodules left by the peas...then they turned a pretty Kelly Green.


Good info mark.
Every acre of tillable land I have is old cotton ground. For the first couple of years we soil tested and fertilized to recommendation. Now we use a 30-10-0
Which is the general recipe in this area.
I double crop oats and crimson clover on the same ground over the winter.