My Fence Project

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Re: My Fence Project

Postby ez14. » Fri May 18, 2018 10:14 pm

fence_it wrote:In the 4th picture with the double brace, I assume they used it to pull to and just hard stapled to it? Since I don't see any tie offs.

I Don't know for sure but it looks like they just stretched around it
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Fri May 18, 2018 10:41 pm

In the first pic, appears to be a slope. Shouldn't the post be pounded to remain perpendicular to the ground instead of true plumb? (Should be leaned more to the right hand side in pic) or does that not actually matter. What say the professionals?

Ron, the fence looks darn good.
Do you guys not use steel pipe posts there?
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fence_it » Fri May 18, 2018 11:18 pm

bball wrote:In the first pic, appears to be a slope. Shouldn't the post be pounded to remain perpendicular to the ground instead of true plumb? (Should be leaned more to the right hand side in pic) or does that not actually matter. What say the professionals?

We always set our posts dead level, no matter the slope.

0 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat May 19, 2018 5:57 am

fence_it wrote:In the 4th picture with the double brace, I assume they used it to pull to and just hard stapled to it? Since I don't see any tie offs.

I think you are right. They pulled around the back side of the brace then brought the wire back on the Side of the posts from the dirction the picture is taken.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat May 19, 2018 6:02 am

bball wrote:In the first pic, appears to be a slope. Shouldn't the post be pounded to remain perpendicular to the ground instead of true plumb? (Should be leaned more to the right hand side in pic) or does that not actually matter. What say the professionals?

They do lean the corner brace posts in the direction to oppose the force of the stretch. In fact, when Kevin built my first fence about 10 years ago, I ask him why he was not putting the corner posts in "plumb". He explained the reason they don't go in plumb.

I have never seen a pipe post put in the ground in the state of Kentucky. I am sure they must be somewhere but I have not seen it.
0 x
Diogenes.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat May 19, 2018 6:10 am

Bright Raven wrote:

They do lean the corner brace posts in the direction to oppose the force of the stretch. In fact, when Kevin built my first fence about 10 years ago, I ask him why he was not putting the corner posts in "plumb". He explained the reason they don't go in plumb.

I have never seen a pipe post put in the ground in the state of Kentucky. I am sure they must be somewhere but I have not seen it.

You ought to have someone take you for a ride on the interstate, Miss Daisy. Pipe on both sides. lol
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat May 19, 2018 6:13 am

Perpendicular to the ground would be a better fence, according to 90% of the world. We usually level everthing, if it can be seen. In the steep back woods hills, I set them perpendicular. If I did that along a road, there'd be too many questions to answer.....
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat May 19, 2018 6:14 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

You ought to have someone take you for a ride on the interstate, Miss Daisy. Pipe on both sides. lol

Lol. That is true. But I have never seen a farmer here use pipe.
0 x
Diogenes.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat May 19, 2018 6:17 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Next time you meet me down south, between the Albany stock yards and our place, keep your eyes peeled. I'll buy you a beer if your pipe fence count is right. ;-)
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat May 19, 2018 6:23 am

Bright Raven wrote:

Next time you meet me down south, between the Albany stock yards and our place, keep your eyes peeled. I'll buy you a beer if your pipe fence count is right. ;-)

Ok. You found the only farm in Kentucky with pipe fence posts. Lol

Seriously, I have never seen one (didnt say they don't exist) in this area of Kentucky - exception US Highway or Interstates.

BTW: forget the beer, you were suppose to take me crappie fishing. Lol
0 x
Diogenes.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat May 19, 2018 6:56 am

fence_it wrote:

agreed . post should be plumb except on the most extreme slope. you do have to make sure and grade your post differantly. a lesson I learned the hard way many years ago.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat May 19, 2018 7:18 am

callmefence wrote:
fence_it wrote:

agreed . post should be plumb except on the most extreme slope. you do have to make sure and grade your post differantly. a lesson I learned the hard way many years ago.

Explain - grade your post differently? You mean in quality? Or the grade of the surface around the post?
0 x
Diogenes.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat May 19, 2018 7:32 am

Bright Raven wrote:
callmefence wrote:
fence_it wrote:

Explain - grade your post differently? You mean in quality? Or the grade of the surface around the post?

Wire is taller at an agngle.......Grade, as in gradient. Post tops all line up, and blood thirsty shyt like that.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat May 19, 2018 7:34 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Ok. You found the only farm in Kentucky with pipe fence posts. Lol

Seriously, I have never seen one (didnt say they don't exist) in this area of Kentucky - exception US Highway or Interstates.

BTW: forget the beer, you were suppose to take me crappie fishing. Lol

Well then, lets go fishing. All I need is a reason to leave.
1 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat May 19, 2018 7:37 am

Bright Raven wrote:
callmefence wrote:
fence_it wrote:

the amount off post out of the ground...if the post is plumb and the slope is considerable when you pull your netwire it will sit perpendicular to the ground. the result is your post will be to short. grade should be based on the the distance from the top of a plumb post to the ground in a perpendicaler line. not from the bottom of the post to the top as you woud do on flat ground.
2 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”