Custom haying - how much to charge?

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Re: Custom haying - how much to charge?

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:58 am

If he did a good job last year at $25/bale, I would imagine that he had more work than he wanted or could handle. The easiest way (used to work, anyhow) to lighten your load is to raise prices. Inputs are up quite a bit over last year, and we all know what it's like to find hired help. If he keeps doing a great job for less than he should be charging, it won't take long to have everyone in the neighborhood pizzed off because he's overbooked, and that sure ain't worth the headache.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:39 am

This guy is retired and puts up hay on his farm and any farm he can get in the area, including mine that is only 3 road miles away. Mostly does squares for the horse people. Obviously I can't justify the cost of equipment to do it myself and it's worth $35/bale to me - I think. The price jump reflects the drought in our area last year that saw all hay inventory disappear, so he's capitalizing on it.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:41 am

NonTypicalCPA wrote:This guy is retired and puts up hay on his farm and any farm he can get in the area, including mine that is only 3 road miles away. Mostly does squares for the horse people. Obviously I can't justify the cost of equipment to do it myself and it's worth $35/bale to me - I think. The price jump reflects the drought in our area last year that saw all hay inventory disappear, so he's capitalizing on it.

How many rolls of hay is your acres going to produce?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:48 am

kenny thomas wrote:Good 4x5 hay is $25 here. If you can just graze it and buy your hay.

This
0 x
Lemme pick your brain. :cowboy:

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:52 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
NonTypicalCPA wrote:This guy is retired and puts up hay on his farm and any farm he can get in the area, including mine that is only 3 road miles away. Mostly does squares for the horse people. Obviously I can't justify the cost of equipment to do it myself and it's worth $35/bale to me - I think. The price jump reflects the drought in our area last year that saw all hay inventory disappear, so he's capitalizing on it.

How many rolls of hay is your acres going to produce?

I got 23 plus a partial this first cutting.
0 x

Texas Gal
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Texas Gal » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:54 pm

Our guy charges $23/bale ( 4x5). I think he has a 20 bale minimum to make it worth his time. He lives right at 2 miles from my hayfield so it's very convenient for him.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:21 pm

sstterry wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:I hate haying so much that id be willing to pay 50.00 bale not to have to do it.

Let me load my equipment and I will be right there..... :D

:lol: :lol:
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:31 pm

It's not the lack of inventory he's capitalizing on. If you have to cover twice as much ground to make the same hay, it costs more to do it. If my silage makes 25 ton/acre, it costs less per ton to put up than 10 ton/acre corn. It sounds like thin hay is your variable.
1 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:03 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
sstterry wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:I hate haying so much that id be willing to pay 50.00 bale not to have to do it.

Let me load my equipment and I will be right there..... :D

:lol: :lol:

My one experience that is even close to bailing is when I was in college. I worked for a guy and we had been bailing up hundreds of bails. He had those awesome little cutters that come thru that looked like combines and cut off the front. They could scoot. I was thinking... this ain't all bad... was even throwing the sales pitch to my dad a little.

About mid-August one of the tractors lifted the hatch up to spit out a bale and the whole thing broke off the back and fell in the middle of the field. :shock: He had a whole pile of us there with a welder, a skytrak, another tractor, fire watch, etc trying to lift it back up in place while he welded.

That was the end of my hay career and I've never looked back. Still hate hay to this day. :cboy:
1 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”