Amount of hay fed in winter

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
1982vett
GURU
GURU

Re: Amount of hay fed in winter

Postby 1982vett » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:03 am

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:I just turned cows out on pasture 10 days ago..... before that we had grass but not enough to graze for any length of time...

310 inches or 25.8 feet of snowfall last winter longest stretch with getting above freezing was 41 days, lowest temp was -31*.

It pencils out because land and hay are "cheap" here compared to other areas, and in the summer we do get we can grow a lot of grass and rarely worry about drought.

Hmm....the difference in experiencing drought for months and being frozen in a sheet of ice......tough choice
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:49 am

I wouldn't be against a month or two less winter, but I don't know about the Florida deal. It was 92F here yesterday and will be again today. It's awful. I really don't know how people do it on a regular basis. I suppose it must be what you are acclimatized too.
1 x

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:17 pm

I can work outside all day long at zero degrees, when temps get in the 80s I start to melt. It's all in what you get used too.

We also have no snakes, spiders, bugs, etc that can kill me.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:58 pm

1982vett wrote:Hmm....the difference in experiencing drought for months and being frozen in a sheet of ice......tough choice

You left out migration.
0 x
Stocker Steve

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:14 am

Silver wrote:I wouldn't be against a month or two less winter, but I don't know about the Florida deal. It was 92F here yesterday and will be again today. It's awful. I really don't know how people do it on a regular basis. I suppose it must be what you are acclimatized too.

It was 97 here yesterday. And will be close to that for the next 3 months straight. I’ve been here since day 1. You don’t get acclimatized to that. It’s miserable. What usually works best for me is to get out there early and stay outside. Going in and out of the house,truck, tractor cab or whatever makes it even worse. Usually start at daylight then try to be done by around 2 and go home and take a nap then get back out around 5 till dark.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:34 pm

Here in NY, we rarely have over 5 days of 90+ degrees. Last Sunday it was 49 in the morning and 100 at 4pm. That's 51 degrees higher in ONE day. That was brutal. Got down to 70's during night and back up to 95 next day.
Then, back to mid 70's last few days - typical for June weather.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:01 pm

Been in the 40s at night here and maybe mid 60s during the day. Still have a fire going in the woodstove for the chilly nights.

Week or so back we had 92 for a high and within 20 minutes the wind switched off the lake and it dropped to 59, within an hour and a half of our high temp we had our low temp for the day at 47. Sometimes you got to love living next to a huge lake that is like a giant refrigerator.

Mowed some hay today at 60 degrees, have 5 days without rain but only supposed to be in the 60s so hoping if I ted it enough it might just dry.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”