Weight of hay rolls

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Weight of hay rolls

Postby JW IN VA » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:19 am

Makes a big difference in the type of hay you are baling.Years ago, we planted some foxtail mlllet.Rolled it with a NH 846 4.5X4.5. Fine stemmed and rolled tight.Had been loading hay with a 861 Ford but it could barely lift the millet bales up to wagon height.
I run a 5X6 baler now.When I move 4X5 bales,I can really tell the difference.
0 x
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:47 am

type of balers mater tremendously picked up a chain krone rolled 4x5 no major issue then picked up one rolled in a john deere belt baler major difference on the lil mf I was using
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:54 am

kenny thomas wrote:How many of you ever weighed any of your hay rolls. I weighed 3 rolls that were supposed to be very close in size but from 3 different rollers and they were 700, 760, and 1000lbs. Hard to buy, sell, or even figure out what's needed like that.
I seen a post recently that said they rolled 32 rolls I think on 2 acres. I average about 4 rolls per acre.
What do your rolls really weigh?

Why I've always bought hay by the ton. Amazing how everybody's hay rolls weigh 1200 lbs...…. until they hit the scale.
5 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:16 pm

TexasBred wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:How many of you ever weighed any of your hay rolls. I weighed 3 rolls that were supposed to be very close in size but from 3 different rollers and they were 700, 760, and 1000lbs. Hard to buy, sell, or even figure out what's needed like that.
I seen a post recently that said they rolled 32 rolls I think on 2 acres. I average about 4 rolls per acre.
What do your rolls really weigh?

Why I've always bought hay by the ton. Amazing how everybody's hay rolls weigh 1200 lbs...…. until they hit the scale.

I will second that. I buy by the ton.
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:44 pm

When we baled, I always weighed them. They ran from 1000 to 1200 pounds, with the average being 1075. Now I am stuck always having to purchase my bales. Amazing how many people want to sell hay by the bale; I try to buy it by the ton. It is much cheaper! I also test before I buy. 100 1100lb bales testing at 12% protein are more valuable to me than 100 1100lb bales testing at 8%.
2 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Allenw
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Allenw » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:56 pm

Most of mine wheat and rye bales have been averaging 1100, all depends on what and how you bale them. One family around sells a lot of hay followed one of them down the road once, you could count the layers in the bale as the bounced going down the road.
0 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:59 pm

jltrent wrote:I bought some 4 x 4 rolls and didn't realize just how small they are. Mine is 5 x 5 and wish I had bigger and they were like toys on the back of my tractor compared to mine. Those little Heston balers that make a 39" bale are good balers, but you will have a field full of them. I think on the weight some balers make tighter, but type of hay and condition make a lot of difference in weight.
We have one of those 39" balers in our inventory , a vermeer , when we sell hay we sell every one of those . They fit 2 side by side in a standard utility trailer and are perfect for folks with a few animals or smaller equipment . Heck , I like them for the factor of negligible waste, but if you can't haul 3 at a time outta the field , it takes a while . They average about 250 to 300, our 4x5s about 750 . But it does depend on type of grass and moisture content , and the baler , and the guy doing it !
1 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:48 pm

Be first to say i have no idea but i would like to know
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:27 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
jehosofat wrote:Hay bale weights depend on a couple of things, whether you're buying, or cuttin' on halves. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Exactly my point. But what's a 4x5 roll of hay worth seems to be what I hear. Is it a 4x5 roll of weeds or really good grass. Weighing 700 or 1000.

Now my hay is fertilized at 400 pounds per acre and my bales average 950 to 1000. Mine cost 50 a roll cut and delivered to the house.
0 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:05 pm

What's with all of these baby bales?
Us big time ranchers only use 5x6 bales, since we don't have time to watch the hired man pick up all of those baby bales.
1 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:11 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:What's with all of these baby bales?
Us big time ranchers only use 5x6 bales, since we don't have time to watch the hired man pick up all of those baby bales.

Lot of the custom bailers still make 4x4’s the horse people love them and they can handle it with a 35 hp tractor.
1 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:32 pm

littletom wrote:Be first to say i have no idea but i would like to know

Take a pickup or trailer by somewhere that you can weigh it. I do this at a landfill. But feed store is good too. Go back and load a roll and re-weigh. Its worth the time.
Then take some samples and see what your feeding. Good surprise sometimes
Last edited by kenny thomas on Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:36 pm

For you guys in fescue country another challenge. Close the gate on a field about labor day. Spread urea on half and the other half do nothing. In mid December take a sample from both halves. Of course the half with urea will have much higher production and protien level. But even the half with nothing will suprise you. Mine will test better than the best hay I can produce.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:49 pm

DOT cracked down on hauling double loads of 5` wide bales here because the load is "easily divisible" so that means more hauling with the wider bales. Also if you make any hay to sell nobody wants the wider bales.

Also what's this "hired man" you speak of? Hahaha
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:19 am

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:

DOT cracked down on hauling double loads of 5` wide bales here because the load is "easily divisible" so that means more hauling with the wider bales. Also if you make any hay to sell nobody wants the wider bales.

Also what's this "hired man" you speak of? Hahaha

Got a couple down here baling 4x6 rolls.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”