New One This Year

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
slick4591
GURU
GURU

New One This Year

Postby slick4591 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:17 am

Some of these wheat farmers must be expecting something bad this year. The harvest is in but they have cut the straw and have piled it under plastic. Normally they would bail it in small squares for bedding. I've seen this with corn but never wheat. Apparently, they think they will need a filler this coming winter.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: New One This Year

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:28 am

slick4591 wrote:Some of these wheat farmers must be expecting something bad this year. The harvest is in but they have cut the straw and have piled it under plastic. Normally they would bail it in small squares for bedding. I've seen this with corn but never wheat. Apparently, they think they will need a filler this coming winter.

Yields on hay are off 40% in our area. Maybe that plays into it as well?
1 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:17 am

slick4591 wrote:Some of these wheat farmers must be expecting something bad this year. The harvest is in but they have cut the straw and have piled it under plastic. Normally they would bail it in small squares for bedding. I've seen this with corn but never wheat. Apparently, they think they will need a filler this coming winter.
Slick is it baled?? Got a friend over in Waco who buys a lot of wheat straw in the big 4x8 square bales and hauls it to a mushroom farm down around Madisonville, Texas. Has been doing it for many years.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:11 am

TexasBred wrote:
Slick is it baled?? Got a friend over in Waco who buys a lot of wheat straw in the big 4x8 square bales and hauls it to a mushroom farm down around Madisonville, Texas. Has been doing it for many years.

No, it's covered in white plastic and looks like a long caterpillar. I forget the term.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:49 am

You mean they blew it into a tube (plastic wrap)? Many farmers here will do green chop or corn silage into tubes.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:57 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:You mean they blew it into a tube (plastic wrap)? Many farmers here will do green chop or corn silage into tubes.

I guess it's tubes as I don't see it where it might end at the ground like a tarp. Off the road a good ways to get a good look tho and they look to be a couple hundred feet long. Seen this before in corn fields but never wheat. Around here they cut wheat stubble for bedding as I don't think there's a nutritional value worth saving.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:59 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

Yields on hay are off 40% in our area. Maybe that plays into it as well?

That hay I just bought. Guy said his yield was awful. Said he fertilized too.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

LDEnterprises
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LDEnterprises » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:28 pm

We just finished rolling 126 bales off a few fields that produced 278 bales last year on first cutting. We actually put down more fertilizer this year than last year also.
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:11 pm

Maybe they are going to inject anhydrous ammonia into it?
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”