Bought all my hay this year

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
sstterry
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Bought all my hay this year

Postby sstterry » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:03 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Yes. Twine. I prefer twine. By the time this hay is fed, twine will be 59 % gone.

Looks like a super deal Ron. How did you come up with the figure 59% gone????

Ken

That was just to annoy TT.

:banana: :D :D
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:36 am

Bright Raven wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Yes. Twine. I prefer twine. By the time this hay is fed, twine will be 59 % gone.

Looks like a super deal Ron. How did you come up with the figure 59% gone????

Ken

That was just to annoy TT.

That's just typical faulty government math. Everybody knows you only lose 23.875% of the twine on first cutting rolls in northern Kentucky.
1 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:15 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
hurleyjd wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
I used to feel the same way until I realized how much better the bales shed water when net wrapped.

I can have the net removed and rolled in to a ball quicker than removing twine. The net ball goes into a burn barrel and is burned when the barrel is about 3/4 full. Twine is a disposable problem also.

You don't get much snow there do you ?

We get plenty of snow here, but it doesn't seem to cause the problems for us that I see other people talking about.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:17 am

ez14. wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
hurleyjd wrote:
I can have the net removed and rolled in to a ball quicker than removing twine. The net ball goes into a burn barrel and is burned when the barrel is about 3/4 full. Twine is a disposable problem also.

You don't get much snow there do you ?

We get plenty of snow here, but it doesn't seem to cause the problems for us that I see other people talking about.

Here its a PITA to cut it off and if its been freezing rain then snows or temps drop your going to lose a good 4-6 inches off the bale its ridiculous. If im going to lose that off the bale twine is just fine with me its alot easier to deal with.
1 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:29 am

Supa Dexta wrote:I'd take that deal all day long, and sit back not having to hay. Plus you're buying in their fertility.

:nod: :nod:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

A.J.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby A.J. » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:43 am

Sounds like a heck of a deal, especially with the delivery included. I would find out if the individual sells it for close to that price every year, and if it's good hay, get a deal going forward for next year. Have you thought about building a hay barn? It's been a great investment for us, and really nice when you have hay leftover from the previous year.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:50 am

A.J. wrote:Sounds like a heck of a deal, especially with the delivery included. I would find out if the individual sells it for close to that price every year, and if it's good hay, get a deal going forward for next year. Have you thought about building a hay barn? It's been a great investment for us, and really nice when you have hay leftover from the previous year.

Yes. I told Elwood that I would like to continue buying his hay on a annual basis. His farm is about 8 miles from mine so the hauling is quick.

I have thought of putting up one of those hoop hay shelters.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:52 am

TexasBred wrote:
Supa Dexta wrote:I'd take that deal all day long, and sit back not having to hay. Plus you're buying in their fertility.

Don’t misinterpret this post. I think Ron got a good deal EVEN IF the hay is a little below average, not saying that it is. I just don’t understand how a “grower” can sell hay for that price. Land rent or taxes, equipment, labor, fertilizer, fuel, transportation.....$30? I think Ron did well in the deal. My conclusion is that either some people can’t figure or they don’t fertilize. Other areas may be different from where I live, I honestly don’t know, but here, if you don’t fertilize, you have 4-8% hay depending on weather and time
of year.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:03 am

JMJ Farms wrote:
TexasBred wrote:

Don’t misinterpret this post. I think Ron got a good deal EVEN IF the hay is a little below average, not saying that it is. I just don’t understand how a “grower” can sell hay for that price. Land rent or taxes, equipment, labor, fertilizer, fuel, transportation.....$30? I think Ron did well in the deal. My conclusion is that either some people can’t figure or they don’t fertilize. Other areas may be different from where I live, I honestly don’t know, but here, if you don’t fertilize, you have 4-8% hay depending on weather and time
of year.

Elwood Myers is well known. He is also our other county Contract Fencer. He not only fertilizes but he sprays for weeds. Hay this time of the year just does not sell high here. This is certainly not premium hay and I do believe they are light. I also agree - he cannot be making a profit. But , big but, that seems to be typical here. Not many people are good at managing a business.

He sells a lot of very high quality square baled hay to the racehorse farms. My bet is that is where he does ok.
0 x
Diogenes.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:22 am

Bright Raven wrote:Elwood Myers is well known. He is also our other county Contract Fencer. He not only fertilizes but he sprays for weeds. Hay this time of the year just does not sell high here. This is certainly not premium hay and I do believe they are light. I also agree - he cannot be making a profit. But , big but, that seems to be typical here. Not many people are good at managing a business.

He sells a lot of very high quality square baled hay to the racehorse farms. My bet is that is where he does ok.

I would like to think he has an ulterior motive, such as cleaning up his hayfields in preparation for baling high quality horse hay. So that makes sense. Maybe he’s just trying to break even on the first cutting in exchange for getting his fields clean. Either way I think you done well. There’s not much hay of any kind that I would turn down for $30 delivered. That’s a steal. I’ve said it on here before.... I grow my own, with $30/acre/year rent and a $20/bale baling fee, 67”x4’ rolls, with a 4 bale/acre yield and my avg cost is $50-$55/roll in the field. Still have to haul it. But only about 5 miles. You done good. Makes me envious. Winter feeding is my single biggest expense, as I would imagine is the case with everyone else as well. I should feed around 400 rolls this year. So that could potentially be a savings to be of $10k. That’s $100/cow that could go in my pocket. If I had a reliable, trustworthy source I’d buy it instead of growing it without hesitation.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:26 am

I just reached in the center and pulled this out. I like to see those fine blades.
1 x
Diogenes.

A.J.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby A.J. » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:26 am

Bright Raven wrote:
A.J. wrote:Sounds like a heck of a deal, especially with the delivery included. I would find out if the individual sells it for close to that price every year, and if it's good hay, get a deal going forward for next year. Have you thought about building a hay barn? It's been a great investment for us, and really nice when you have hay leftover from the previous year.

Yes. I told Elwood that I would like to continue buying his hay on a annual basis. His farm is about 8 miles from mine so the hauling is quick.

I have thought of putting up one of those hoop hay shelters.

Sounds like you've got a good arrangement with him. I think you'd be pleased with the return on your investment if you added a shelter for it.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:46 am

JMJ Farms wrote:I would like to think he has an ulterior motive, such as cleaning up his hayfields in preparation for baling high quality horse hay. So that makes sense. Maybe he’s just trying to break even on the first cutting in exchange for getting his fields clean. Either way I think you done well. There’s not much hay of any kind that I would turn down for $30 delivered. That’s a steal. I’ve said it on here before.... I grow my own, with $30/acre/year rent and a $20/bale baling fee, 67”x4’ rolls, with a 4 bale/acre yield and my avg cost is $50-$55/roll in the field. Still have to haul it. But only about 5 miles. You done good. Makes me envious. Winter feeding is my single biggest expense, as I would imagine is the case with everyone else as well. I should feed around 400 rolls this year. So that could potentially be a savings to be of $10k. That’s $100/cow that could go in my pocket. If I had a reliable, trustworthy source I’d buy it instead of growing it without hesitation.

Elwood and gang, cut this off his next door neighbor. I know Elwood very well. His daughter is on the CAIP approval board. He and I drove his pickup through the field about 18 days ago. He cut it last Thursday and rolled it over the weekend. It didn't get wet. It was well handled. The yield was low despite the fact that he fertilized. As TT said, everyone here is 30 to 40 percent off their average. To produce hay here, you have to fertilize or you are running over a lot of land, burning a lot of fuel for little return.

This is not his quality hayland. He mostly square bales his good haylands that he sells for horse farm hay. I already have my order in for next spring. It is best to buy early. About March of this year with the protracted winter, this hay would have sold for $45 to $50 a roll.

BTW: his farm - and his adjoining timber lands produce some of the biggest whitetail deer in the state. Elwood has missed Boone and Crockett by narrow margins a couple times. He must have 15 mounted deer heads.
1 x
Diogenes.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:22 pm

Bright Raven wrote:BTW: his farm - and his adjoining timber lands produce some of the biggest whitetail deer in the state. Elwood has missed Boone and Crockett by narrow margins a couple times. He must have 15 mounted deer heads.

Does he do any paid hunts?
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:39 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:BTW: his farm - and his adjoining timber lands produce some of the biggest whitetail deer in the state. Elwood has missed Boone and Crockett by narrow margins a couple times. He must have 15 mounted deer heads.

Does he do any paid hunts?

Yes. He has in the past. He has some very well placed blinds. Not a hunt in the sense of stalking.
0 x
Diogenes.

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”