Chicken Litter

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Chicken Litter

Postby Lucky » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:27 am

What time of year is it best to put chicken litter out on cattle pastures? I’m thinking in the fall but keep getting different opinions. Plan on doing 2 tons to the acre.
0 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Chicken Litter

Postby snoopdog » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:46 am

At 2 ton, anytime really . Are you getting an analysis ? I know a few years back , some of the companies here were requiring clean out pretty often , and you didn't get much more than rice hulls or shavings , still good organic matter but not much fertilizer benefit . 2 tons is pretty light .
1 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:40 am

[quote="snoopdog"]At 2 ton, anytime really . Are you getting an analysis ? I know a few years back , some of the companies here were requiring clean out pretty often , and you didn't get much more than rice hulls or shavings , still good organic matter but not much fertilizer benefit . 2 tons is pretty light .[/
I was impressed with analysis of the broiler litter. I've used it and plan to use more this fall.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:44 pm

Put litter out 30 days or so prior to the species of grass to start growing. You can favor either warm season or cool season grasses by the timing. Know the source: broiler, breeder, layer, turkey, ... as it makes a difference on expected analysis and results.
2 x

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:54 pm

This will be layer litter. There’s 7-8 3 story cage free houses a few miles from me. He does offer analysis on it. I’m kinda wondering about what Ebenezer said about targeting grass species. I’m wanting to give my summer grass a boost and mainly target bermuda grass. 2 tons seems to be the norm around here. I’ve been told both fall and late spring application so thought I’d ask you guys.
0 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:32 am

If it's layer litter , 2 ton is good. Layer houses don't get cleaned out as often and it's really rich, you are going to be pleased , it may burn some if it turns off hot and dry , but if you get a decent rain shortly after , you're gonna have a lot of grass.
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:32 am

Layer manure is straight manure with no paper, hulls, wood chips, ... It can be dry to lumpy wet. It is hot stuff from the N. It will make a bald man grow hair if it does not blister the skin! Will also have more calcium and P (no alum in bedding) than broiler litter. More bang for your buck if it is not too wet. 2 tons is a plenty.
1 x

MtnCows93
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MtnCows93 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:59 pm

put it on now, if i wait on chicken litter it goes to somebody else and i miss out
0 x

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Postby tom4018 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:16 am

Ebenezer wrote:Layer manure is straight manure with no paper, hulls, wood chips, ... It can be dry to lumpy wet. It is hot stuff from the N. It will make a bald man grow hair if it does not blister the skin! Will also have more calcium and P (no alum in bedding) than broiler litter. More bang for your buck if it is not too wet. 2 tons is a plenty.

The layer litter I use does have some saw dust in it. Center of barn is bedded with saw dust. I have used as much as 3 tons to the acre.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:35 pm

Chicken litter is the ticket. Fertilizer value plus the benefit of organic matter. After about 4-5 years of using it here I had to back off and go back to commercial fertilizer bc the P was getting to high. Better use chicken litter while you can bc I’m afraid they are going to put a stop to it. I’m hearing that some biologists are saying that it’s spreading diseases into the wild turkey population. I can’t berify this is correct but I have seen a decline in the number of wild turkeys I see. If this is proven to be correct then you can hang the chicken litter up. We all know who will win this fight should it ever arrive.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Postby tom4018 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:30 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:Chicken litter is the ticket. Fertilizer value plus the benefit of organic matter. After about 4-5 years of using it here I had to back off and go back to commercial fertilizer bc the P was getting to high. Better use chicken litter while you can bc I’m afraid they are going to put a stop to it. I’m hearing that some biologists are saying that it’s spreading diseases into the wild turkey population. I can’t berify this is correct but I have seen a decline in the number of wild turkeys I see. If this is proven to be correct then you can hang the chicken litter up. We all know who will win this fight should it ever arrive.

If it hurts turkeys I would hate to see how many we would have. They are abundant here but some years they seem to be less of them for some reason.
0 x

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:38 am

I’m going to try and put out 2 tons on 100 acres in October. The person in our area that spreads the layer litter has a deal with the egg farm to take all the litter so there isn’t ever a shortage. I’ve been talking to some folks that use it on there hay meadows and said they couldn’t believe the results. I’m thinking October for this particular field so I don’t upset the neighbors too much.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:31 pm

We put out some litter on our hayfields earlier this spring.. Sometimes chickens come with it. Best chickens ever....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 5S Cattle » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:12 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:We put out some litter on our hayfields earlier this spring.. Sometimes chickens come with it. Best chickens ever....

What?
0 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:20 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:We put out some litter on our hayfields earlier this spring.. Sometimes chickens come with it. Best chickens ever....

buy chicken liter for the free chickens and go to Paris sale for the free ice creams :banana:
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”