Jeanne - I Reorganized The Hay Rolls

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Re: Jeanne - I Reorganized The Hay Rolls

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:56 am

With the net wrap, I virtually have only maybe 1" on top & sides, maybe 4" on bottom. Bottom is usually pretty much wasted, but, top & sides, they eat. This is baled in Sept and fed thru following June.
For future reference, it is best to stack them, end to end, as soon as possible after baling. Then DO NOT TOUCH them. Like the article says, if you pick one up, you will break the "seal" that it made.
Yes, a barn is the perfect answer. But, with mine, it would take many many years to pay for the little spoilage I get. Secret is having a good TIGHT bale to begin with - and net wrap. If they are loose or twine wrapped - put indoors if you want to salvage anything in them.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:17 am

Jeanne. These are not tight rolls. But they will be used this winter.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:12 pm

You don't have the damp rainy weather we have Ron, hopefully they will keep well enough for you.
But, here - I guarantee you would lose a LOT. There is nothing to keep the water from getting down into the bale if it does not have a super tight wrap throughout. Cheap can be expensive. Not trying to be a wet rag, just my thoughts.
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:18 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:You don't have the damp rainy weather we have Ron, hopefully they will keep well enough for you.
But, here - I guarantee you would lose a LOT. There is nothing to keep the water from getting down into the bale if it does not have a super tight wrap throughout. Cheap can be expensive. Not trying to be a wet rag, just my thoughts.

Your right Jeanne, I will not store string tied or peanut hay outside. If you can get someone to wrap a tight bale 3 or 4 times with net it stores outside not touching one another great.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:13 pm

I do not have the experience of loosely wrapped bales. Some of you are adamant not to let the ends touch, so maybe the soft loose bales do better. IDK. I do know mine keep like they were put inside and I have a LOT of moisture. We rarely have 3 full days of sunshine in a row all summer, you can imagine how much sunshine we have in the winter.
0 x

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:54 pm

Invest in some tarps and stack them in a pyramid, only soilage is where they touch the ground.
1 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:06 pm

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:Invest in some tarps and stack them in a pyramid, only soilage is where they touch the ground.

That is correct. Not something that works up here. Way too much work trying to get to the bales with snow or ice all over the tarp. Tarps end up ruined. If you get a hole in the tarp, stacked hay really, really gets ruined. There are special tarps that should hold up, but like I said, way too much work in snow/cold country.
1 x

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:55 pm

Tarps work here just fine all winter long. And I'll bet the farm we have more snow, ice, winter to deal with than you. My oldest tarp is 5 years old and still going strong.

Bit of a pain getting under them in the winter but it's worth it for having nice hay.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:21 am

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:Tarps work here just fine all winter long. And I'll bet the farm we have more snow, ice, winter to deal with than you. My oldest tarp is 5 years old and still going strong.

Bit of a pain getting under them in the winter but it's worth it for having nice hay.

What kind do you use Tahoe? Where did you buy them?
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:03 am

I have a couple inland hay tarps and also some Missouri hay tarps. The inland is a nicer tarp but also at a higher price point. The Missouri tarps seem to be holding up well although the oldest one I have is 4 years old but it's still looking good. Both were bought directly from the mfg.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:06 am

Tahoe - I did say special tarps (meaning hay tarps) would work out better. You probably get as much snow/ice/cold as we do - we average 120" snow/yr. But, the freezing snow is a bitzh to move back off the bales. Way too much work for what little hay saving it would do for us.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:35 am

i stacked and tarped sq bales I got for a good deal last summer. They were from the year before out of the barn.. They ended up starting to mold under the tarp in just a few weeks.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:39 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Tahoe - I did say special tarps (meaning hay tarps) would work out better. You probably get as much snow/ice/cold as we do - we average 120" snow/yr. But, the freezing snow is a bitzh to move back off the bales. Way too much work for what little hay saving it would do for us.

Jeanne - I cannot remember seeing any round baled hay here tarped. We get about 42 inches of precipitation annually. If round bales set for six months from June to January, they are usually in pretty good shape. I always have some that set out. I don't know if the hay I would save here would ever pay for a shelter in the 10 to 20 years I have left to pursue this vocation.
1 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:05 am

Lucky wrote:Build a Hay Barn. It will pay for itself fairly quick.

What I can't get under cover, I now put on pallets and cover with $2 tarps; just across the top and stake in the ground with tent pegs. When I ran out of room, I did as "Fire Sweep" indicated above. 2 years ago I violated the (my) rules and lost 30% of my crop.....had a brain pfart I guess, can't think of another reason why I did it.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:15 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Tahoe - I did say special tarps (meaning hay tarps) would work out better. You probably get as much snow/ice/cold as we do - we average 120" snow/yr. But, the freezing snow is a bitzh to move back off the bales. Way too much work for what little hay saving it would do for us.

Jeanne - I cannot remember seeing any round baled hay here tarped. We get about 42 inches of precipitation annually. If round bales set for six months from June to January, they are usually in pretty good shape. I always have some that set out. I don't know if the hay I would save here would ever pay for a shelter in the 10 to 20 years I have left to pursue this vocation.

I tend to agree. I wouldn't fret over a little waste on the hay.
1 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”