Hay Shortage

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Hay Shortage

Postby snoopdog » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:45 pm

Texasmark wrote:
callmefence wrote:No chance of second cutting here. Sudan is burning up and full of aphids. Opened the gates and let the cows on it.
Their tickled to have something with some green in it.
I bought 50 5 by 5 of old coastal for 2500.00 and was proud to get it. Can get good hay trucked in for 160 a ton. That's to dam much... I got a line on some Milo hay that's what I'm going to do this year. Fed it during the drought and with a little cottonseed it's just fine.
Maybe we'll have a good year for oats.

If not no biggie. It ain't like we haven't lost money on cattle before.

I have BTDT on milo stalks, in mid winter and glad to get them regardless of price. Been awhile. Nobody around here has any planted any more now that corn is popular. See some cotton that shows up when somebody needs to do a crop rotation. So I guess it'll be corn stalks, cotton seed and maybe a little molasses on the really bad stuff for those in need.

That's the other thing. When cotton was king, about every 10 miles around here was a cotton gin. Bergs still here, some gins left, the parking lots still visible. Trailers just disappeared over the years; haven't seen one in a long time. Wolfe City had a big mill where you could buy bagged meal; may still be in operation. Haven't been there in awhile. Place looked like it's on it's last leg last time I was by there. Today I guess you'd have to have your local feed store truck in meal if needed.
I saw some milo bales on fb today , may be close to you . I'll see if I can find it again .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:49 pm

0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:24 am

I saw field after field being rolled in Liberty County near Dayton last week. 2nd cutting. They must have gotten better rain than I did.
I see lots of hay moving up & down the highway so must be quite a few getting theirs cut and rolled now.
Been hot and been dry here but a chance of rain tuesday and a better one in 7 days.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:16 am

Lots of hay moving around here too. I’ve got 12 acres of prairie hay to roll today. Wetter parts are good and drier parts are pretty thin.

Definitly need a reprieve from these temps for sure.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:01 pm

Got it done. Made 37 5x5 rolls and it’s 107f.
2 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:56 pm

They were trying to get $80 for 4x5 by the Austin airport...... guess no one bought, the sign went down to $65... I am still getting this year's 5x6 blue stem and coastal at $70. More then I like to pay but I will not pay $80 for 4x5 rolls.... ANYONE KNOW THE NUTRITIONAL BENIFIT OF CORN HAY AND MILO STALKS???? These are from fields that didn't get enough rain.... corn fields all dead around here.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:37 pm

BK9954 wrote:They were trying to get $80 for 4x5 by the Austin airport...... guess no one bought, the sign went down to $65... I am still getting this year's 5x6 blue stem and coastal at $70. More then I like to pay but I will not pay $80 for 4x5 rolls.... ANYONE KNOW THE NUTRITIONAL BENIFIT OF CORN HAY AND MILO STALKS???? These are from fields that didn't get enough rain.... corn fields all dead around here.
ive had milo regrowth tested before and it came back at about 7 percent. jedstivers spoke of getting over 10 with fertilizer after heading and irrigation. there is a difference in regrowth and just stalks. if your talking about milo that didn't get enough rain to make grain. I would dam sure test for nitrates. so it can be pretty sorry to very good hay..lol. also be prepared to handle bales in the 1500 pound plus range.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:21 am

By all means, if your hay source is not providing a reliable analysis, sample it yourself and get it done. If you don't know what's in there, you don't know what your cattle will need...
We got the vast majority of our hay in over the past week... but didn't receive the analysis from the hay producer until the day the last two loads arrived... UofArk testing lab showed good ADF(28) and TDN(58)... but crude protein was only 5%. University nutritionist doubts that TDN is as good as calculated, based on that low CP.

Below 7% CP, there is not enough N in hay for rumen microbes to effectively process that hay... they'll essentially starve to death with a belly full of indigestible material unless you're supplementing protein sufficiently.
This stuff we ended up with will require that we feed 2X-3X our normal level of DDG just to barely meet dry matter, protein, and net energy requirements.
2 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:32 am

Talked to my hay guy last night and he told me he had to go up $10 a bale. Told him I'd be right there and went and paid him before he went up even more.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:27 am

I inherited by dad's poor business sense. In the rare event we sell hay off the place (Grandpa always said it was okay to lend hay, but never sell it) the price is the same as in a good hay crop year.
1 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:44 am

I keep watching these fields around here wonder when people are going to cut the hay, a lot of them or wait until it's completely dead. Makes me wonder about the quality. A lot of it is Bluestem next to airport and car dealerships and some of its Johnson grass. Wouldn't cutting it when it was halfway green be better?
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:45 am

Lucky_P wrote:Below 7% CP, there is not enough N in hay for rumen microbes to effectively process that hay... they'll essentially starve to death with a belly full of indigestible material unless you're supplementing protein sufficiently.
This stuff we ended up with will require that we feed 2X-3X our normal level of DDG just to barely meet dry matter, protein, and net energy requirements.

Cows do eat less of that kind of hay. I assume they are on a microbe version of limit feeding.

Have seen some general comments about how supplementing poorer (but expensive) hay actually reduces your feed cost per day. What is a normal level of DDG? Do you have any cost comments on using DDG vs. a mixed supplement?
0 x
Stocker Steve

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:14 am

Lucky_P wrote:By all means, if your hay source is not providing a reliable analysis, sample it yourself and get it done. If you don't know what's in there, you don't know what your cattle will need...
We got the vast majority of our hay in over the past week... but didn't receive the analysis from the hay producer until the day the last two loads arrived... UofArk testing lab showed good ADF(28) and TDN(58)... but crude protein was only 5%. University nutritionist doubts that TDN is as good as calculated, based on that low CP.

Below 7% CP, there is not enough N in hay for rumen microbes to effectively process that hay... they'll essentially starve to death with a belly full of indigestible material unless you're supplementing protein sufficiently.

So...is this the $25 a roll hay everyone talks about being able to buy? Just asking.
0 x

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:38 am

$25.. I wish! Actually, with the analysis we received on this, I'm not sure it's worth $25... but with shipping costs, we're paying just a few cents over double that.

Steve, we've normally fed 3-5# DDG/cow/day in addition to 25-27# hay, but ration calculator indicates that we'll have to go as high as 10#DDG for the lactating Fall-calving cows in order to meet protein needs... and will still be close to being deficient in energy... and if we feed more than about 22# of this sorry hay... it makes things WORSE!
And, to top it off, the analysis on the next batch of hay is even poorer - lower CP, lower TDN.

Trying to get across to this producer that it doesn't matter how much $$ he spends spraying and fertilizing in the spring, if he's not going to make a first cutting until mid-July... it's NEVER going to be good. Yeah, we CAN supplement, but for what we're paying, we shouldn't have to feed that much extra... and if he's got other clients who are going to feed only hay... they're gonna have cows that are approaching (and some reaching) starvation despite consuming all of this material that they can take in... and may also have calf survivability issues if those cows make it to calving.
2 x

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:12 am

5S Cattle wrote:
backhoeboogie wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
It’s short here as well very short.
We should be on third cutting and most have only gotten one.

Pastures are brown here. Dead. Trees are dying. Cactus is turning yellow. The hay panic has started.

Where at in Texas?

NE of Dallas for one place. My second cutting didn't develop. Cracks in the clay soil big enough to get your foot hung up in them. I have to laugh at riding lawn mower commercials........try your machine on my yard??????? Had to buy extra since I couldn't produce while it was available for my responsibilities.

JG and SS are the only things trying to grow. Have around an inch forecast midweek. If that develops it should get us into September.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”